ECamper from Honda

kcowyo

ExPo Original
The Ursa Minor Vehicles ECAMPER™ is the only Honda Element Camper on the market!

Baja_La_Bocana.JPG

"Our conversion adds a pop-top sleeper for two onto any Honda Element® Four Wheel Drive model (2003 through 2008 models with removable skylight). Ready to camp? Simply release the latches, pop it up, and climb up through the former sunroof.

The ECAMPER uses the latest in high-performance composites technology to minimize weight and to create a streamlined profile that adds only 5" to the overall height of the vehicle."

ap_lake_mead_sunset.JPG

compactcamping

Explorer
Those are very nice looking campers, but the $4K+ price tag is a bit high compared to a Rooftop tent, especially since most Rooftop tent are much roomier.
--
Scott

paulj

Expedition Leader
I don't know about the 'only Honda Element Camper'. Maybe the only one with head room and built in cooking facilities. But if the primary purpose of a camper is to provide a sheltered place to sleep, lots of owers have adapted their Elements to that.

paulj

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
i knew I wasn't crazy...i saw one on the freeway the other day, and i wasn't sure if I was hallucinating or not...

:)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Not splitting hairs, the Element does have a loyal following for a good reason. How about the only 'conversion' Element Camper on the market?

The benefits of this over a RTT to me, would be the hard top, a very low aerodynamic profile and the ability to carry bikes, kayaks, etc. on top. There aren't too many RTT's less than 5" when closed, most don't have a hard top (the Maggiolina & Columbus notwithstanding) and carrying extra trail toys with a RTT is a challenge, if not impossible, for most set ups.

ep_lakeside_sm.JPG

This is a creative idea and I like seeing people trying new, or revisiting old, concepts. Someone is thinking outside the box and that is always a good thing. Now who's going to build something like this (stateside) for a Landcruiser? :jumping:

Dave

Explorer
I definitely think something like this is what I would prefer over a RTT, mainly for the reasons KC mentioned (hard roof that can support some weight, aerodynamics, etc.). I would LOVE to see something like this offered on an SUV that was a little bigger, a 4Runner or a four door Wrangler perhaps? Maybe even the diesel Grand Cherokee?

I'm so turned off by the sleeping solutions that my Tacoma can support (RTT, in bed platform, and so on) that I have all but decided to stop building it and wait until I can afford something like a Sportsmobile. If jkam's van he has had for sale was closer, I'd be all over it.

Sorry, that was kind of off topic for this thread.

elysium

Observer
Actually, if you order the maggiolina grand tour (smallest one is about $2200 not including shipping), you can buy their kit to mount load bars above the tent. So you can carry kayaks, surf boards, etc...

Certainly, that honda conversion is a cool ecamper, but you might be able to get the same benefits for a little less coin using an RTT.

155_GrandTour_dett_02.jpg

155_GrandTour_dett_04.jpg

155_GrandTour_dett_01_kit-d.jpg

Images are from the autohomeus website.

paulj

Expedition Leader
Judging from the steel wheels on this sample camper, it is a 2003 DX model, just like mine. This was the bare bones version without AC or radio, though both can be added.

paulj

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Looks very interesting. I think the Element has a lot of potential, but is not quite "there." For one thing, the carrying capacity is pretty low (something like 650lb, IIRC, and that includes passengers) and of course the low ground clearance is a problem. Also, MPG isn't that good, probably because of the boxy shape. From what I've seen on message boards, 21-25 seems to be about average. Well, hell, an Xterra with stock wheels will give you nearly that, plus true off-road capability to boot.

Love the functional interior, though. Also it has a real tailgate - got to be one of the only CUVs that does (most have a side-opening door or a liftgate.)

Like the HHR, I wish they could make them just a little more off-road friendly (i.e, better ground clearance) and I think they will be serious contenders, especially as fuel prices continue to increase.

chet

island Explorer
very cool idea. was it AEV that had the same type of top on a new 4 door jeep at SEMA last year? Now that would be perfect!

Ursa Minor

hello again

I posted over on another thread a while back to intro myself, but since there's pics of my rig here I figured I'd poke in on this thread.

Chet, if ya wanna loan me a 4 door wrangler for "a while" maybe I can arrange something similar. Don't mind that sawz-all over there, we'd just need to open 'er up a bit :)

Here's another one we just converted for a local triathlete. Not intended to be a hard core expedition rig, rather a quick escape vehicle that is invisible during daily driving (mileage impact/height restriction/secure etc.)

cheers,
John

compactcamping

Explorer
John,
The ECamper is very cool, I especially like the "invisible" aspect. One spec I couldn't find was, inside tent height?

Few RTT notes:
Smallest RTT closed I know of is an Oasis at ~6".
With most RTTs if you mount them for opening over the side of the vehicle or trailer, it's easy to put racks on either side of the tent. This works well with kayaks, bike racks would need some quick release pins. If you want to get fancy, fabbing a swing up rack wouldn't be hard.
--
Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles