RECOMMENDATIONS FOR AN OVERHEAD LIGHT ?

General Automag

Adventurer
Can anyone recommend a good source for an overhead light? We need to install an overhead light under our roof top tent which is mounted on a 1/4-ton trailer.

1) I'd like to find one with an on/off switch that I can wire directly to the trailer's batteries.
2) It would help if it were fairly flush mount.
3) The light can be up to 6-7" in length.

These will go under the bottom of the tent above the trailer as you can see in the pictures.

If you have any recommendations for battery-powered lights, please post them too. There are some "RV" stores out there, but I'm just not sure where to look for good quality. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0303.jpg
    IMG_0303.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
This is where I've gotten all of my lights for my trailer. They are a good store and are based down the road from me. At the top of the page are the ones I have in all different colors:

http://www.easternmarine.com/Interior-Lighting-RVs-Trailers/

They also have some battery operated versions with a local switch that my friend uses on his boat. Search around on the site and you'll find them. They are about 8" long and have a black housing and velcro to mount.

Don

-

General Automag

Adventurer
Thanks; I'll look at that site. For the FJ40, I decided to keep it "Land Cruiser" and am now looking for a flush-mount overhead/interior light that will work. I should be able to find something out of a 60,62, 70, 80, or even from an FJ Cruiser that may work. I need a fairly "flat" fit and I need it to be a simple two-wire light. 'Any suggestions? Thanks again :)

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
When JFK was president, I drilled a small hole in the tent support on the bottom of the tube and at the base where that support pole rotated. I fished wire throught the tube and got the ends out of the top hole, takes a few minutes. At the base where it rotates put a plug on those wires. Get the other end of your plug and attach to the routed wiring to your battery. When you set up or tear down unplug at the rotation point so you don't wear the wiring from working it back and forth. I fused the line at the battery.

At the top hang your fixture, I had a pull chain, easy to find in the dark waving your arm around.

I later put 110v in a side pole but only about two feet in and used a box mounted sideways attached to the pole and a male plug at the bottom to plug into my extension cord. It was grounded to the trailer. Used that for my Halicrafters SW radio....:)

I'd think that if you want a long tube type fixture you could attach pipe fittings on the back of the fixture and connect to the frame. If you have material there, might consider those picture hangers with a material adhesive back, using several might hold up your fixture, hook it on the hangers.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
We install THESE LED lights in our work vans about 1 1/2 years ago. Every time any door opens the light goes on, maybe 40+ times a day. We have had no failures to date and they provide a ton of light.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I used LED strip lights...I bought a 15m roll of the stuff for around $40 bucks. I used the adhesive strip on the back plus a few small zip ties and I permanently afixed them to the bars inside my RTT. I ran a long strip down the center bar and then 2 smaller strips over each door. I ran the wires to a small junction box and installed 2 toggle switches...one for the main light and then one for the two door lights. Then I just ran one wire from the box to my battery. Only one small hole in the floor that I filled with spray foam when done. Just outside of the tent, I attached a waterproof plug so that I can take the tent off the trailer and only need to unplug the tent. Works great. If I can fins some pics I will attach them.CPP iphone 120711 017.jpg. I couldn't find one of the inside of the tent, but this should give you an idea based on my under the tent lights for the trailer

General Automag

Adventurer
Thank you for all of the sources. Regarding the strip lights, are the strips flexible, and how much current do they draw? Can you just direct wire them to the battery with an inline fuse?

Since I will eventually install a tongue box to house some batteries, I'd like to have everything wired to the battery versus having separate AAA or AA battery-powered lights. The day I forget to take the light batteries out for long term storage is the day they will go flat or corrode.

Seeker

Adventurer
If you use the newer Lithium Ion batteries, they don't have the problem of eventually flattening and exploding like other battery types do. I have them in all my emergency / bug-out equipment for this reason. They're spendy, but they generally last longer and supply a higher voltage for a longer period of time than the other types of batteries too.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
The strip lights I used come in a flat roll. I can cut them to any length (minimum of 3 LEDs) or use the entire 15 meters if I want. Just take's a quick bit of soldering to wire them up. I am sure there are those people out there that will swear by using a fuse somewhere in the line, but with as little power as they draw, I do not have a fuse. I run the wiring straight to my Optima battery in the battery box on the front of my trailer. I have had no issues with this set up. The strip is very flexable and i could wrap them in a circle or around round objects if I so choose. They are very thin and mounting them to the bars inside my tent leaves nothing to hang up on or get in the way. Setting up and collapsing the RTT has not moved them or caused them not to function. There is more than enought light now inside and it is nice at 3 AM to not have to fumble for a flashlight.

TeCKis300

Observer
Get this - http://www.amazon.com/Megabrite-Wireless-Motion-Sensor-Undercabinet/dp/B0079M7ASM

I found this at Costco for under $20. I have a CVT Mt. Rainier RTT. They tuck nicely and stay in place between the metal hoop supports and the tent fabric. I put one at the top center of the tent and one at the top of the stairs. What's also great is that they have an ambient light sensor and motion sensor. Comes right on when you enter the tent and is plenty of light.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I am sure there are those people out there that will swear by using a fuse somewhere in the line, but with as little power as they draw, I do not have a fuse. I run the wiring straight to my Optima battery in the battery box on the front of my trailer.

You indeed have still installed a fuse, the difference is in your setup, the wire is also the fuse, and there is really no telling where the "fuse" will burn through in the event of a short. Hopefully it's in the open or just near some metal, and it won't be a big deal other than replacing the broken wire. However, if it's near something else that can catch fire, like plastic, cloth, or chemicals, it may be a big deal. An in-line fuse holder costs about $3 including the fuse and the crimp on connections. I think it's worth it.

-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles