30, HOME FREE AND UNEMPLOYED

Derek24

Explorer
A friend sent me this thread and wow great one! Great to see a Tundra doing all this and without any trouble! I believe I saw you last year on 101 in Santa Rosa on your way up north. Great thread again!

4whtundra

Adventurer
UPDATE!!!

Hello All!!!

I'm sorry for lack of communications, it's been a crazy month for sure. After blasting through the mid-west with my brother and his dog we stayed a night in southern Kentucky then hit the road hard back to NY (I may have said this already). I had a great Christmas and new year with friends and family and I hope all of you did as well! I have since then removed my camper from my Tundra and it is getting a rest and drying out inside for the winter. My Tundra is still running strong, I put close to 8000 miles on her through the whole trip and she is now running over 180K miles! After Christmas I worked for a general contractor for a few weeks and now I am back in California for a few weeks. The company I worked for here flew me out to rebuild some machines and train someone else to take care of my old responsibilities. So it has been nice to get out of NY while they are having the record low temperatures there. I also got a chance to ship my tools, motorcycles and what not back to NY. It has been a great couple of weeks, catching up with friends, making a little bit of money and enjoying the sunshine. On the 30th I'll be headed back to NY (via plane this time) to work for the contractor again until I figure out what is next. The future is unclear at this point, I will stay in NY for the rest of the winter working and trying to save a little money. There is a possibility I will head to Montana in the summer to work with my brother. I am also really considering getting a holiday/work visa and heading to Australia for 6-12 months, if anytime is the right time it's now. As for pictures I haven't been taking that many but will get my ******** together as soon as I can if people are still interested in what I'm up to. Not too much traveling in NY in the winter but I have been putting in some miles on my snowmobile and brewing beer! Hope everyone is doing well and staying warm this winter.

daveyd

Observer
Great thread, it was a joy to read. Thanks for the update and best of luck with your future endeavors. :smiley_drive:

slojeep

Well it's been awhile since any updates so hopefully everything is ok I loved reading this thread but nothing

bobDog

Expedition Leader
You have developed quite the following including me! Thanks for the update.....a few pics wouldnt be thought of poorly:D
Glad youre doing well.....hope you get back to your on road adventures this summer. Stay away from nice women! Theyll ruin the whole thing unless by luck you find one that is adventurous.
Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

4whtundra

Adventurer
Southern Exposure

Well it wasn't a camper trip but this is all that I have for you guys at this point. The winter has been long as usual in upstate New York, I had a chance for an escape and decided it'd be worth it for a couple days to head south with a couple friends. A very good friend of mine that I grew up with and was also roommates with in California lives in DC now, his roommate's mother has a B and B down in Charleston, South Carolina that would could stay in for free so we decided to go for it. I left town on a Thursday after work and headed to DC, a 8 hour drive there is not the easiest (especially after working all week) but I made it in around 10, we got some burgers and you guessed it a couple nice cold IPAs (Ranger to be exact). I am not much for cities (except Portland :) and San Fran) so I wasn't too much impressed where he was living, the houses are crammed in and parking is a **********. I made the most of it as always. In the am we were up early and out the door, myself, Andrew, Darren and the next pooch Mocha!

DSCF0045.JPG DSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0072.JPG

The basic route out of NY to DC is 81 south, there are twists and turns but mostly that's it. Heading out of DC you take the 95 south, that will take you all the way to Miami if you wanted. Another 9 hours south and we were in Charleston. The bed and breakfast was really neat, two stories with the Piazza style porches that run the depth of the buildings, they're designed to help channel the sea breezes into the houses to help cool them. That is why you see them on one side or the other or even front or back on some houses depending on their position to the sea. Our host walked us around the city basically being our tour guide, describing the culture and a lot of the history of the south and Charleston. The downtown was very nice, the weather was sunny but a bit cold for the south. We hung out with Darren's Mom for the remaining of the night, went to a couple chilly rooftop bars and then back home for an early night.

DSCF0064.JPG DSCF0073.JPG

There was an outdoors man, festival going on that weekend so we headed over to check out the festivities. After getting some boiled Cajun peanuts we headed over to watch the Birds of Prey show, I was very impressed with how well the birds reacted to their trainers. Swooping and turning and chasing treats around. They had an owl, golden eagle, condor, etc. The other tents were set up to showcase local talent, food and other activities. After watching the birds we ate at a really awesome restaurant called the Mellow Mushroom, it was an old movie theater converted into a Pizza place.

DSCF0092.JPG DSCF0084.JPG

DSCF0074.JPG

That night we went out on the town, it was a cold night but we found ourselves to a local watering hole to mingle with some of Charleston's greatest. We got to see a good band and watch some of the locals get down. The following day we got up and headed out to see more outdoorsy activities, the Dock Dog contest was in full swing and we got to see some puppy action. We finished the day with a walk on the beach and some exploring through the neighborhoods. The following day was a long 16 hour drive back to DC, then back to NY for me.

DSCF0116.JPG DSCF0149.JPG

xjaugie

Adventurer
I waved as you drove by...LOL I'm now living in DC which only makes the weekend treks all the more important. Next time down this way give me a ring. We'll get a beer in alexandria, VA.

4whtundra

Adventurer
Turn the Page

I'll apologize for the lack of pictures, I've been doing a bunch of figuring and there has been a lack in photography (or attempt in) in my life lately. The last 3 months have been relatively laxed. I ended up shipping all of my belongings back to NY where I grew up only to find out that I most likely don't want to stay there. There has been absolutely no regret in my decision to head back east and to also send my stuff back there. In the time that I was home I got to know a bunch of my cousins that I have never really spent any of my adult life with, spent time with my Mom and Dad, my 95 year old grandmother and also good childhood friends.

DSCF0245.JPG

I put relatively little effort into finding a career based job, something I would settle down with and maybe buy a house or start a family. I applied to a few places but didn't really give it the old "college effort" as one might say. I was basically floating for an opportunity. I worked for an old friend for close to minimum wage, learning the ways of a general contractor. Custom showers, painting, kitchens, lots of sanding sheet rock, wood flooring, getting tools, etc etc. Stuff that I think any man wants to learn or at least try to learn in his lifetime, the money sucked, the weather sucked, but the work was fun and so were the times. I know it wasn't a lot of time but I got the idea of how to do things that I have never learned before, I'm grateful for that.

IMG_20130202_132704_878[1].jpg IMG_20130227_113713_573[1].jpg

Among other things I tried to stay pretty busy, after I got my tools back home I spent a good amount of time working on an old project of mine, my 72 Triumph chopper project. I finally got my tig welder up and running and took a lesson from my Dad's buddy (something I've been planning on for years). I also got into beer brewing and have made 3 batches of brew with a very good friend of mine, a blonde, a porter and of course an IPA. They came out amazing (extract brewing).

IMG_20130316_153811_692[1].jpg IMG_20130301_163836_297[1].jpg

IMG_20130317_194914_899[1].jpg IMG_20130106_152352_093[1].jpg

As my timing wasn't the best, moving back to upstate NY at the height of winter I was glad that I went then. It's hard to judge whether or not you want to live in a place for 1-5 years when you go there the best part of the year. I won't ********** about the winter too much, I was able to do some snowboarding with my aunt and also some snowmobiling.

IMG_20130210_160102_042[1].jpg

Now comes to the next page. About a month ago I was sitting around wondering what I was doing with my life, I had figured that I didn't want to stay where I was, doing what I was doing for the remaining of the summer. After going through the motions of living there it wasn't flowing like I had hoped for. I must say it is nice to have choices, even if they are ridiculous they are still possible. I laid out my choices like this: go to Thailand for two months to travel, get my work/holiday visa and go to Australia, head to Montana and work with my brother or head to Portland to find a job and a possible house (I liked it there). Thailand was too late as there hot rainy season was about to start, I couldn't afford Australia, so it seemed as if Montana or Portland was the choice. Until one day I got an email from a friend of mine titling "Field Service Engineer", Oil Platforms, Worldwide Travel. I immediately thought to myself, "ha yeah right, sounds crazy, sounds fun and exciting, probably won't happen, hell with it lets give it a try". That was a month ago, today I am here, back in Goleta, CA where I lived for 5 years, just completed my first day of training, awaiting three more weeks of it and will be headed to either Nigeria or S.Korea, crazy friggen life I tell ya!

Before I left NY to come back west I experienced probably one of the most memorable and emotional events of my life. I got a call from an old mentor of mine from California, he is from the East Coast as well (Boston to be exact). He gave me my first job out of school and was my first real friend when I moved to California. He was back in Boston for a couple weeks, downsizing his Dad's possessions and selling the house that he grew up in located in Hudson, Mass. His Dad is dying of lung cancer. A machinist for over 50 years, building bikes, aerospace parts, you name it. He offers his lathe to me, not just any lathe but a metalworking Hendey build in 1905, the Cadillac of lathes in it's time. I sprung, removed my camper, on the road at 3pm, Boston by 7pm, had some time to talk, stayed up until 2am disassembling (forgot to mention it was 2000 lbs and in a basement). Sunday, the day before my flight, more disassembling, built a ramp, pick up, put down, move, winch, pick up, put down, winch. 1 PM full load and then there was time to talk. Talk about what this does and what that does and I built this one time and that one time. Memories, sweat, blood, tears, life, all in this hunk of American made machinery that will someday be lifted out of my basement when I am old and grey and be passed on to that next generation. This one is for you Richard!

IMG_20130330_182619_480[1].jpg IMG_20130330_192639_554[1].jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste