30, HOME FREE AND UNEMPLOYED

4whtundra

Adventurer
I didn't get nearly any sleep Sunday night, I was anxious for Monday morning, I didn't want to be late for the driver and I had some soda before bed. I was lucky enough to be able to popup in the driveway so I didn't need to find a place to stay. I woke up around 5:45, made coffee and got my things together. It was raining pretty good so I wore my boots, Carhartt jacket, rain pants and coat. I was also given a "tin" to wear while I was in the log yard (basically a loggers hard hat). I walked to the end of the driveway around 7 and just as I got to the end a basically brand new Kenworth truck pulled up. I hopped in and introduced myself to the driver, the cab was ************. The dash was filled with gauges and buttons, the truck was a 18 speed and equipped with a sweet cb radio. The driver was a really cool guy, told me not to worry about my seat belt (I put it on anyway). It was dark when we rolled out but got a little lighter as we went on. The road we started up was called Swamp Mountain Road, it was bumpy and filled with trees with moss growing all over them. He shouted slang on the CB which I though was pretty cool even though I had no idea what he was talking about.

DSCF4647.JPGDSCF4654.JPGDSCF4653.JPGDSCF4648.JPGDSCF4655.JPG

We got up to the landing and the shovel unloaded his trailer (the log trailer sits on the back of the truck so they can transport it easier). A large load was loaded in a matter of minutes, then they were tied down with cable wraps and we were on our way to the mill. It took about an hour or so to get to the mill but it seemed like no time at all, Jeff the driver told me all about the business, how much it cost to run the truck and how much he makes per load. He talked about his ol' lady a little and how they grow all their food in the garden and how he hates going out to eat at restaurants. He expressed that he hasn't ate at one of "those establishments" in 8 years. He also likes cigarettes, whiskey and beer (hates those microbrew beers). I asked him if it was ok that I stay at the yard so I could watch the loggers do their thing, he then yelled some stuff on the cb and the response was "hmmya mmaybe we can set'm up with coon eddy" he agreed with a "copy that" then a "10-4" and I found myself standing with the "chaser" (the guy that unhooks the chokers). They had a fire going so I stood between the yarder and the de-limber and watched the action. I also took some poser shots pretending as if I was a real logger, it was cool, then I got back in the truck.

DSCF4662.JPGDSCF4659.JPGDSCF4670.JPGDSCF4661.JPGDSCF4675.JPG

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Wow.......you not only connected w/ your father but you got to see first hand what 90% of the NW doesn't actually see. I have and I know how totally cool it is! Good on you .....you're seeing the real thing!!!

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I was on a back road out of mapleton to the coast looking for canary a town I never found.....came around a corner and there was a high line just like that. I was so inthralled I stayed there just watching for 2 he's. They probably thought I was nuts! Never found Canary .... lol.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

4whtundra

Adventurer
The log trucks are ************, you basically feel like the king of the road in one but it still feels like a truck. Listening to Jeff talk to other drivers on the cb makes me want one in my rig, they break each other's nuggets and shoot the ******** about hunting and fishing. I may have one in my near future. The mill was an interesting event, we had to stand outside the truck while they unloaded it and I had to stay with the driver at all times. The enormous forklift took the whole load at once and then sorted it. Jeff told me he saw one of them roll on its side once, then he laughed at the "morons" driving them. I had him drop me back at my truck around noon, I gathered my stuff, made a sandwich and was back on the road again.

DSCF4640.JPGDSCF4676.JPGDSCF4650.JPG

After Sweet Home I wanted to head back to the coast. I have a Special Lady Friend (will refer to her as "SL") meeting me in Portland toward the end of the month so I have some time to travel up the coast to Astoria and surrounding areas. I basically plan day to day with no "real plan" more than a day in advance. I believe this is the best way to travel especially on a trip like this. Since the beginning of the trip I had a general direction but no schedule, I had people to meet up with here and there but wanted to take other's recommendations on where to visit. I traveled East on route 20 towards Albany then took the 5 North towards Salem, I then took the 22 West to the 18 West to the coast. My plan for the night was to stay in Lincoln City a little south on the 101, Devils Lake recreation area was there but when I got there I wasn't feeling it and I had an itch to drive a little more. I stopped at around 4 other rv parks and campgrounds along the 101 North but wasn't feeling them either. I got to a point where I was tired from a long day of "logging" and driving so I had to find a spot, I found Nehalem Bay campground and pulled off to check it out. A little way down the road I came to an abrupt stop, what I first thought were farm animals were really cow elk all over the place. I stopped in the middle of the road in awe. They did not care at all that I was there so I watched them for a couple minutes, they walked back and forth then a huge buck came walking across the street again not caring what I had going on. It was a pretty amazing sight. Check out this small video of the cows crossing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NrBd8Xjrnc&list=HL1351053755&feature=mh_lolz

DSCF4712.JPGDSCF4715.JPGDSCF4706.JPGDSCF4717.JPGDSCF4727.JPGDSCF4725.JPG

I stayed at this campsite for two nights, it was $20 and had full hookups, the bathroom was nice and had free showers. The rain has been going on all day so I've been catching up with emails and bills now that I have the mobile hotspot, the beach is real close bye so it's nice to hear the waves at night. I am finally caught up with the posts, tomorrow I will most likely head up to Astoria for a couple days of exploring and fishing before heading to Portland area.

Last edited:

richjeeps

Eagle
Thanks, I appreciate all the support comments, it makes me want to keep posting longer and better posts. :wavey:

Please keep posting. I subscribed very early and your adventure keeps better and better. You are helping me stay sane as I rot behind this desk. Thank You!!!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Coming from a multi-generational lumber family and as a Tundra pilot I'm diggin' your trip! God speed and keep that Tundrabrid a rovin'! :elkgrin:

oldpro123

oldpro123

sounds as if the whole expo family are following you.It's a great gift that you have, the ability to share your travels and thoughts with so many.Keep on keepin on dude.

SChandler

Adventurer
Looks like you are having a cool trip. If you are looking for another place to camp for free, you could try the Tillamook State Forest. It is off of Highway 6. There are lots of logging roads and 4x4 trails to check out. You can pick up a map of the forest at the Tillamook Forest Center here: http://goo.gl/maps/4VScw. Although, if you're going to Astoria, that would require some backtracking down 101 to get there. If you're headed from Astoria to Portland, the drive along Highway 30 is scenic, but I don't get out that way much, so I don't have any good tips for you there. Either way, there are lots of hiking and outdoors activities within an hour or two of Portland.

4whtundra

Adventurer
After shower, coffee and some organizing I climbed on the top of my rig and got my long johns out of my Yakima Skybox. The weather is not completely cold now but I like to be comfortable and the jeans I have on have holes in them, so on with my union suite. It was coming down like cats and dogs but I felt guilty about being there for two days and not heading out to the beach, I got everything packed up and parked near the beach access sign, got my rain jacket on and walked out to the dunes. It was pretty chilly and raining like crazy but I felt better after I was there, no one was on the beach which was pretty cool. I don't appreciate this as much as my brother would but the campsite has "horse camping" where basically there is an outside stall for your horses and a campsite as well. I thought it was pretty neat.

PA240002.jpgPA240004.jpgPA240005.jpgPA240008.jpg

After the beach my pants were soaked, I jumped in my truck and took off. I was headed North on the 101 towards Astoria. The partial plan for the day was to get up there and do some minor work on the camper. I haven't really been cold but have had my furnace on for the past week or so, last night it turned on 10 or so times right before I went to sleep, that being said I think it is time for some insulation work. Being a pop-up I knew this would be a problem. A good friend of mine has the same camper and said that a lot of the heat is lost through the windows and not the "pop-up tent part". The plan is to use insulative foam sheathing for the glass windows, in front of the door and other openings and get some of the bubble/reflective type stuff for the "tent" part of the camper. If it gets really cold I can always not pop the top up and sleep on the couch. When I got to the Fort Stevens area I found the local Home Depot, I was pretty hungry at this point and didn't want another turkey sandwich. One of my only rules for this trip is to eat as healthy as I can, that means eating out as little as possible. Not only does it make you healthier but it costs a lot less. When I do opt to eat out I like to check out breweries, they are usually in a cool part of town, in a cool building and have great food and beer. I typed "brewery" into my GPS and there was one only 13 miles away in Astoria so I headed out. Fort George Brewery and Public house was the name of the place and was located in a cool part of downtown Astoria and was in a really cool old building (I told you). I sat down, ordered an IPA and a hot sandwich.

PA240013.jpgPA240009.jpgPA240011.jpgPA240010.jpg

A very cute girl sat down at the end of the bar, she ordered a tall Porter and an IPA taster, I thought to myself "this doesn't seem right". I tried to catch her conversation with an older gentleman that was sitting next to me while another much older but still interesting woman came up to the bar. I was confused at this point, she was holding an empty growler and called out for the bartender. "Let me try the pumpkin ale, okay, lets try the working woman porter" She called again,"I'll take the working woman porter." The bartender pored her the growler and off she went. I thought to myself, "this is awesome, cool girls that like good beer, what can be better?" The rainy and cold weather brought warmth to the trip right away, I'm excited for the Northern North West! I grabbed a 4 pac of the Vortex IPA, it comes in cans! I headed out to the Home Depot, got some insulation and worked up a sweat in the parking lot. Tomorrow I will finally try to fish and enjoy myself before having to have "a plan" while SL is here. Just a note, if anyone is looking for a couple of good albums to listen to here are a couple you will enjoy whether your young or old.

PA240014.jpgPA240020.jpg

Oldnevin

Great Read

i am enjoying your trip very much.
Thank you for taking time to share your journey and pics.

cheers Tim:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles