30, HOME FREE AND UNEMPLOYED

4whtundra

Adventurer
For the past 6 years I've been living in the Central (Southern) part of California. I've been working as a mechanical designer, machinist and maintenance technician and for the most part loving life. Certain parts of California are nearly impossible to settle down in, especially if you are blue collar and single. For the past two years I've been looking to buy a 2-3 bedroom house in the City of Ventura, CA but for $350K a fixer upper with no land just is not my style. Over the past 2 months I've been working on selling my stuff, moving out, breaking up, quitting and all the stuff that goes with leaving everything behind and heading out into the unknown to not only travel through our great country but also spend some time to reflect on what is important to me before settling down in a place that I will love. I have left Ventura yesterday 10/8/2012 around 3pm and headed North to Santa Margarita to stay with a couple good friends. On my way in to town a guy had dropped his trailer on the freeway so I was happy to help with my handyman jack in hand, got him going in about 10 minutes. The second I got there we had to head straight back out to rescue my friends wife who had been trying her hand at his 1985 Toyota 4X4, needless to say I didn't need to use my winch. The night was filled with laughter, wild shrimp picatta and Budweisers. The first night in my camper was great. The following day I woke up around 8 am, got some coffee with Keith and walked about his property. His wife made breakfast, eggs, bacon, sausage and toast, none of which great for my cholesterol but a meal fit for a king. After breakfast we got to going and took out Keith's choppers for a ride into Pozo, Santa Margarita lake and surrounding areas. We had a blast. Tonight will be dinner with his fam and more good times.

DSCF4230.JPGDSCF4271.JPGDSCF4270.JPGDSCF4261.JPGDSCF4260.JPGDSCF4259.JPGDSCF4255.JPGDSCF4248.JPGDSCF4239.JPGDSCF4287.JPG

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
this is shaping up to be an epic adventure
I hope you can spare the time during your travels to keep us updated and I commend you on setting your priorities right

haven

Expedition Leader
Dangerous to generalize from one post, but this story has a Kerouac-like feel to it already. Please keep us posted.

Kev sealby

Random thoughts of a fool
Good for you my friend, I also am homeless and jobless, but I feel more free than I have in years, and have a better idea of the world around me.
Good luck.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Wishing you a good, safe and enlightening adventure, and hope you find what you seek.

Doug

Red Zebra

Adventurer
Ah, sloughing off the old, and pointing your wagon to new horizons; Will follow along if you don't mind.....:coffee:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
"Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, “Holly ****…what a ride!”

Enjoy......

4whtundra

Adventurer
Hello everyone!

Sorry for the lack of posts but I've been a little bit busy traveling :wings: my most current post I was camped out at a friends house in Santa Margarita, CA. From there I basically went west along the 41 to the 101 around Morro Bay. From Morro Bay I traveled North on route 1 to Big Sur and stayed at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.
PA101017.jpgDSCF4330.JPGPA101019.jpgPA101020.jpg

Big Sur is an amazing place, I've been through there once before but have never really spent time to smell the roses. The bigsby bridge is a site in its self to see, from afar it doesn't really seem real. The water and small cave there are also unreal.

PA101022.jpgPA101024.jpgPA101025.jpg

I met a friend in Big Sur and she recommended me to Bodega Bay, so the next day I headed North on route 1. The vastness of California surprises me every time I travel to a new place, it seems every corner has something new and you almost think from some towns or visinitys to the next that you are in a different state. After a day of getting lost in Downtown San Francisco and Friday afternoon traffic I made it across the Golden Gate Bridge, I was happy to be past SF as this was a somewhat halfway point for me to get out of California.

PA101039.jpg

I didn't make it all the way to Bodega Bay that night and stayed at another place which was recommended to me Point Reyes. I couldn't find a campground and it was late and I was tired so I just boondocked it in some hiking trail parking lot named "earthquake trail". Veggi lentil tacos was on the menu that night. I was awaken by some sort of wild dogs around 4:30 and was happy I was in my camper and not backpacking like the 5 or so other cars that were there. In the morning a guy told me I was lucky I didn't receive a ticket (he said around $200). There were deer everywhere and I saw a fawn, doe and buck family :)

PA111053.jpgPA121057.jpg

Point Reyes was a little over a week ago, I am currently in Bend, Oregon so I will try to get the post up to speed asap!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
It has all the makings of a great thread.....
Don't slack out and leave us hanging! Subscribed cause looks like you will be the 'most interesting guy in the world'. :D

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles