30, HOME FREE AND UNEMPLOYED

4whtundra

Adventurer
White Feather Ranch Part II

Thank you everyone for the support, I sometimes feel I'm talking to myself on here, the small notes mean a lot to me.

After the week in Missoula it was back to the ranch for more work. There had been a little snow out on the ranch from the past week, it was brisk in the morning but hustling around feeding the animals kept the toes warm. Friday was real cold so we milked it a little and painted fences inside with the fire going, it was good to just hang out with my brother and catch up. Saturday was a little more interesting, the night before Dan had told us he was going to prego check cows and we could watch if we wanted. My brother and I both sprung at the chance to see an interesting event, we had been working our tails off building fences so this should be a good show. In the morning more chores, then back to the fences, they were "jack" style and a good workout building them up and nailing them together. Around 11 was the show so we walked over to where the cows were corralled. Step one: get cow in holding cage, step 2: roll up sleeve and put on long plastic glove, step 3: lube up hand and arm, step 4: pull up tail and insert hand into cows butt up to armpit. Man it was an interesting sight, once your "in there" you pat your hand around and try to feel for the calf, it's obvious when they're pregnant. My brother stepped up to the plate, this was his work so he needed to do it at some point, I was laughing but he kept his cool. About the time we were headed back to more fence work Dan asked me if I wanted to give it a try. At first I thought "naa I'm good" but then I thought "when will I ever have the chance to stick my arm up a cows as* again?" I went for it! If you asked me if the cow was pregnant, I have no idea, but I do know one thing the cow was full of. It was a success, no animals got hurt in our studies.

PC010076.jpg PC070091.jpg

PC070092.jpg PC070094.jpg

PC070098.jpg PC070088.jpg

After the festivities it was back to fence building. After work we had back straps from Dan's deer, his girlfriend is an amazing cook. Sunday I took a half day, I was annihilated and needed some rest. After lunch I finished the day off with my brother, we had a surprise when we got home, a new puppy :) We said goodbye to Dan and Sari, my bro will be back to work at the ranch after the New Year. I was invited back to the ranch for the summer to work, I just might take him up on the offer, we will see.

PC070129.jpg PC070099.jpg

PC090133.jpg

4whtundra

Adventurer
AB1985,
I'll be staying in Glasgow for a few days, is that anywhere near where you are? Any suggestions on what to see while I'm in your state? Thanks.

ab1985

Explorer
I'm in northern KY. Glasgow is down closer to the KY/TN line. Mammoth Cave National Park is near there, and I would highly recommend visiting if you're not claustrophobic. I haven't camped there, but I know they have a campground that's off limits to RV's and trailers that requires a vehicle ferry - http://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvisit/houchinferrycg.htm. That might be an option. If you go further east you should visit Big South Fork NRRA or Daniel Boone National Forrest. Of course, by that time you might as well head a couple hours south and visit Great Smoky Mountain National Park.

REMOTEPLACES

Adventurer
Keep the updates coming

Well, I hope you don't feel like you're talking/writing to yourself, many of us look forward to reading your post. I think most just like to read and enjoy the adventure and keep the commentary to a minimum. I’ve been reading your post for several months now, and have shared your story with others in my family while conveying the bit of envy I have about your travels and your ability to do so. I don’t need to tell you (but I will) that what you’re doing is something special, worthwhile and generally fantastic. Best of luck and keep all of us posted, we’re all reading it.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Well, I hope you don't feel like you're talking/writing to yourself, many of us look forward to reading your post. I think most just like to read and enjoy the adventure and keep the commentary to a minimum. I've been reading your post for several months now, and have shared your story with others in my family while conveying the bit of envy I have about your travels and your ability to do so. I don't need to tell you (but I will) that what you're doing is something special, worthwhile and generally fantastic. Best of luck and keep all of us posted, we're all reading it.

Same story here! Keep it up, it brightens my day!

Doug

Wainiha

Explorer
Awesome adventure and great pics. I lived in Corvallis, Portland and Bozeman. I love the PNW second only to here.

4whtundra

Adventurer
Update from the road

I've finally left Montana, with my brother and his dog as well. He completed his degree and is stoked to say the least. From Montana we headed south, stayed in Idaho Falls for a night then Silt, CO for two nights. We were lucky enough to stay at my father's buddies place. Last night we boon docked at a Walmart in Salina, KS and today we are back at it trying to get to Glasgow, KY where we'll stay at a buddy's cabin. I will get a better post up with pictures when I can.

krazytoy

Adventurer
stayed in Idaho Falls for a night

You should have looked me up! I have a kick *** RV pad on the side of my house with full hook ups you could have used for the night/week whatever. Plus I know all the good beer spots in town! Oh well, maybe next time. I really enjoy reading your posts and best wishes.

Kenny Olson

Adventurer
I've finally left Montana, with my brother and his dog as well. He completed his degree and is stoked to say the least. From Montana we headed south, stayed in Idaho Falls for a night then Silt, CO for two nights. We were lucky enough to stay at my father's buddies place. Last night we boon docked at a Walmart in Salina, KS and today we are back at it trying to get to Glasgow, KY where we'll stay at a buddy's cabin. I will get a better post up with pictures when I can.

I`m 45 mins or so east of Salina, Ks. Wish I would`ve known you were so close I woulda bought you dinner..

bobDog

Expedition Leader
You going to try to come back thru CO. during summer? ......hell of a place then....could spend a month and not see all the good stuff.....grew up there, taught at CSU before moving back here to Oregon. spent a few years in Durango, Ouray, Etc. You would really enjoy summer there. but then again Oregon's worth visiting twice!:coffeedrink: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.

ClayH

Adventurer
Just finished reading this EPIC adventure as I too, sit rotting, chained my desk in the florescent light filled cell I call an office.
No posts since mid Dec.? I hope all is okay and I look forward to following more of this journey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles