30, HOME FREE AND UNEMPLOYED

4whtundra

Adventurer
South Island, New Zealand, Part V

Hey everyone! Sorry for keeping you hanging for so long, hopefully I can get caught up here in the next week or so. Back to business!

Heading south into Greymouth we stopped there and checked out a history museum, grabbed groceries and finally found a place to purchase Gold pans. We were super excited about our prospecting endeavors and I got Andy pretty pumped on it. Heading inland on the 7 we took a smaller road into Nelson Creek where we found a great free campground with flushing toilets, gold panning in the river and a small country cafe/bar just above us. It was a little rainy but I jumped in the creek with my pan and started searching for some color! After an hour of thick mosquitoes and no gold we called it quits and headed to the pub for some grub and ciders. A good group of locals there told us stories and we ended up hitting it off with the owners Hellie and Roy, they lended us a shovel for the morning gold rush. In the am we hiked the river and spent a good two hours digging and panning, still no gold! The remainder of the day we spent charging around on the back roads, we stopped at a large lake called Moana, where there was nothing going on but pool and ciders again. We found a picnic area on the other side to stay for the night.

IMG_6515.jpg IMG_6509.jpg

P3184387.jpg P3184403.jpg

IMG_6562.jpg P3194429.jpg

IMG_6533.jpg

From Moana we traveled back to Greymouth then South on the 6 into Hokitika, we walked the town and checked out the shops. After a quick cider at the town clock we took a drive to lake Kaniere and found a spot for the night. Andy backed the van into some deep mud and buried it pretty good, my redneck instincts kicked in and I throttled the beast out! After that mishap we sat down and realized it was way to early to stop for the day so we headed out towards "the gorge". We followed a map we had gotten in town, you know, one of those maps that looks like a 12 year old had drawn. Well that got us out into the boonies on a cow poo covered road, one that we were opening and closing cattle fences only to get to a dead end that maybe a fully kitted out Jeep would have taken. I thought it was the way but Andy convinced me to stop and ask someone, a super nice farmer told us that we were way off and pointed us down the correct path. The gorge seemed like something out of a sci-fi flick. The water was an unexplained bright teal, like teal paint, thick looking and not opaque at all. We did a small hike there and found a dead end campsite just down the way.

P3194495.jpg IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_6634.jpg

Billhilly

Adventurer
Hey Ian!

Good to 'see' you again. Was just thinking about you the other day, hoping you were alright, and wondering how Montana was going. Enjoying seeing your photo's of 'down South'. Really is a pretty nice place! Looking forward to more.

4whtundra

Adventurer
South Island, New Zealand, Part VI

After the gorge we spent our evening just like many of the others, eating sausages, grilled cheese sandwiches and fighting off the bugs. It wasn't until the morning where the real fun started. We ate our breakfast and started on the road, which was a dirt road with small ditches on either sides, I was driving. All of a sudden my left wheel got pulled to the left, off the road we went right into a nice ditch. It was soggy as hell and up until now we had thought our van was only 2 wheel drive, I guess that's what happens when you get high centered! We tried our home remedies, logs, floor mats, jack, stones, nothing really worked and we ended up more stuck then we started, go figure! After we swallowing our pride we walked back to the parking area at the gorge to find help. This was really one of those one-in-a-million deals, there really isn't a ton of trucks like we have here and are mostly little commuter cars. But wouldn't you know it, the only Four Wheel Camper I've ever seen in New Zealand situated on top of a nice little 4x4 truck, I almost sharted! We waited a good 15 minutes and an older couple came out and we explained our situation, the lady just sat down and read her book but her husband Eddie was super stoked to pull us out, he even had a strap! He gave us a ride back, hooked us up, through it in low and yanked us out. Not to mention laughed at us and took pictures of the whole ordeal, what a life saver!

IMG_6647.jpg P3204567.jpg

P3204566.jpg P3204570.jpg

I had convinced Andy that there was one more spot where I knew we would find the gold, this was Ross, where New Zealand's largest concentration was (or use to be). After our mishap we headed towards Ross, once we arrived we did a small hike through the historic minefields where some of the old equipment is still setup and then proceeded to the creek to try our hand one more time. Good guess, not a thing, but we found out later that a guy two days prior found a nice little nug in that same creek. Aimlessly wandering we found an access road to a handmade canal and camped out for the night. It was a dark night with plenty of stars so we took the chance to mess around with some night photography.

P3204582.jpg P3204573.jpg

IMG_6739.jpg IMG_6719.jpg

IMG_6731.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6721.jpg
    IMG_6721.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 24

4whtundra

Adventurer
South Island, New Zealand, Part VII

Today was a big day as we were heading away from the gold and towards the Glaciers. We arrived into Franz Joseph in the morning and opted for an un-guided hike on the Alex-Knob trail, which was more of a jungle hike than a glacier. Keeping budget minded we stayed away from the tourist trap heli-hikes and ice grazing. Tonight we had a treat and slept in the parking lot of a hostel, this night was the first hot shower in 2 weeks! We went big and headed to town for burgers and ciders at "The Landing Restaurant". In the morning we did a hike to see the glacier, nothing too impressive since you couldn't get too close to it without getting into a helicopter. We drive to Fox Glacier from there and did that hike as well, this was a little more impressive. From Fox we headed into Haast for groceries and found an awesome spot by the river through a cattle gate, sausages, a waterfall and a fire!

P3214637.jpg IMG_6867.jpg

P3224664.jpg IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6900.jpg IMG_6915.jpg

I awoke to Andy hustling around, a farmer was in the riverbed wrangling his cattle so we opted to head out instead of dealing with that mess. Today we put in some serious windshield time, continuing down the 6 through Makarora and stopping in Wanaka for the night. We stopped at the local brewery for a tasting, then headed to Subway to fill up, then the Water Bar for some cold ones. After grabbing a campsite at the local Holiday park and taking a nice shower we headed back to town for dinner and to hang out. I had sliders and Andy had a chicken burger, the food was excellent. After dinner we ran into a couple local rugby players that took us out on a night on the town, locals style. We hit up a couple places without tourists that had open mic night and local bands playing, they were a hoot and bought us drinks all night. Somehow we made it back to the van in the dark without getting lost, a life it is to live in your van I must say! In the morning our ambitions were low, I did my laundry at the park and after breakfast (late brunch) we checked out the Transportation Museum in town. Talk about a collection! It was very impressive, the guy had been collecting all sorts of things over the years including planes, fire trucks, toys, motorcycles, tanks, you name it. After playing war on the WWII canons we had a breathtaking, eye watering laugh about some stupid comment and headed out of town. We found a wilderness area in the Cromwell region and parked the van on a lookout above the small town.

IMG_6938.jpg IMG_7052.jpg

IMG_7065.jpg IMG_7095.jpg

4whtundra

Adventurer
Update

Hello everyone, I know it's been a while since I've posted but I've been very busy. I plan to finish my New Zealand story at some point but have been preoccupied with other things this summer. After I got back from the Oceania trip I ended back in NY, while traveling down under I was in the process of selling my Four Wheel Camper and the day after I returned home I delivered it to the new owners. But don't worry it's all for a good cause.

IMG_7853.jpg

I loved my FWC setup but I yearned to build something that was my own and that was different from the pack. Once I got to Montana I found and purchased a 1976 Toyota Chinook with 103k original miles. My plan is/was to transfer the camper body onto a 4x4 Toyota chassis. I had a few things in mind, I wanted a smaller, more nimble vehicle, a front straight axle, manual transmission, manual stick shift transfer case with manual hubs, a more analog vehicle if you will. I also wanted a walk-through cab and I wanted to be able to really "live" with the top down, meaning cook, use the sink, sit and sleep.

IMG_8091.jpg

Finally after looking for a month or so I found a clean 1984 Toyota 4X4, Long Box with 173k on the clock, manual trans, winch and brush guard. Once home I got to business, removed the camper from the 2wd chassis, removed the bed and shell from the 4x4 chassis, cut the rear of the cab out, fixed some rust in the frame, painted the rear part of the frame with POR15.

IMG_8303.jpg IMG_8289.jpg

IMG_8304.jpg IMG_8362.jpg

After that it took me a good couple weeks to get it attached to the 4X4 chassis, I'm living alone here and don't really know anyone so I am doing everything myself. Once I got it attached I took it out camping, it was pretty rough, the camper body being basically a big fiberglass shell is not made for offroad. I was bummed for a moment and thought I had wasted my time and money, until I came up with a simple solution to build a small internal metal cage that is attached through the floor and through the outside of the camper, once I got that fabricated it worked pretty flawlessly!

IMG_8369.jpg IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8561.jpg

So where am I at this point? After working on this bad boy through the summer I have a week to "finish" it before I head to Yellowstone, Moab, Colorado and who knows after that. If anyone is in or near any of the mentioned or will be there during the dates 10/7-10/25 please let me know, it'd be great to meet up! Here is a rear bumper in progress teaser.

IMG_9329.jpg

4whtundra

Adventurer
Xrunner,

I'm potentially stopping in Breckenridge for a day or two then heading towards Denver. My buddy lives in Elizabeth just south of Denver, I'll be there for a couple days.

Where are you located?

Xrunner

Explorer
If you make it to Breckenridge stop by Soupz On in the City Market shopping center... they have amazing soup and bread!

I'm about an hour north of Denver not too far out of Loveland. Sending you a PM with details.

Brian7660

Great looking setup buddy! I love those old Toyota Dolphin-style campers but never thought of putting on on a 4wd chassis! bad to the bone! Ive really enjoyed reading about your adventures here & its been a helpful 'courage builder' as my wife and I are launching our jobs and heading south(way south) in our van in a month. Jump & the net will appear, right?! Have a great time in CO, and visit the town of Salida if you get a chance- a picturesque Rocky Mt town with a handful of overlanding locals(Mike and Trish drove their Westy to Chile and back!). If you're still cruising around the southwest in early November, my wife and I will buy you an IPA! Brian

rangerdogg

Adventurer
All I can say is I love reading your post man, have missed them will your working toward your next adventure. Congrats on new build looks great have a safe trip and lets see interior pcs soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne