30, HOME FREE AND UNEMPLOYED

howitz

I'll probably be heading near or though Yellowstone next week sometime on my way back to Michigan. You going to be around there then?

4whtundra

Adventurer
Rangerdogg,

I'm glad you enjoy the posts, I honestly really miss writing and sharing but you really got to be in the right state of mind. I am really focused on my camper these days, hopefully when I get back on the road I can catch up.

Howitz,

Right on, I will be in W. Yellowstone starting wednesday the 8th, PM me your details and maybe we can meet up.

FredX

I just finished reading everything. Awesome adventure!!! I've been thinking about taking off and traveling for awhile now. Not sure what's holding me back. Maybe it's my limited funding to even get started. How did you do it on little money?

Also, the Chinook is sick. I've been designing/building one in my head since I first saw one a few years back. I plan on making a 4x4 one similar to yours. I don't have all the fabrication skills but I'm good with my hands and can be a quick learner. I'm curious how you built the small internal metal cage that you attached through the floor/outside of the camper. Do you have any pics?

Stumper92

Man what a thread! I admire someone who knows how to live by the seat of their pants! Looking forward to following your adventures and working on some of my own.

Salty Dawg

I'm enjoying reading about your adventures. Thanks for posting !
Sauquoit , I always liked that Iroquois Indian name, "smooth pebbles in the bed of a
stream."
I grew up about 15 miles from Sauquoit in Ilion.
It's good to read about a local wandering about the world.

4whtundra

Adventurer
Fredex,
Thanks for the comments! You asked about the money and how I afforded it, basically it was a full life change for me at that time, I sold everything I had, and saved like mad to be able to pull it off for even the 3 months that I traveled the PNW. The Oceania trip was mostly funded by working in Nigeria for 3 months. Basically you have to make a sacrifice, sell your motorcycle, your bed, your tools (don't sell your tools!) to make it happen, if you want it bad enough you'll figure a way to pull it off. If you already have a camper then you're that much ahead, if not that's fine too, sell or trade your everyday driver for a van and kit out the interior for camping. I bet you could build a really nice setup for under $500 in a van, you don't need much: propane stove, water/sink setup, small radiant heater (propane) and a bed. Start with something simple and upgrade from there, I slept in a Toyota van for a month when traveling New Zealand, with a 6'5" German guy. We had everything we needed, took showers at parks and #1 & 2 in the woods or gas stations. It's nice to have a fully kitted out rig but def not necessary, even a Subaru Outback with a rooftop tent or just folding down the seats can work on a budget.

I have pics of the frame but I'll have to dig around for them. It is very basic though, but works remarkably well. PM me your email and I'll send you some pics.

Salty Dawg,
That is crazy man! My cousin owns the ice cream shop in Ilion, small world man! Where do you live in Socal? If you're planning on coming home for the holidays PM me your contact and maybe we can grab a Utica Club!

Salty Dawg

The ice cream shop ! yeah, that is crazy, what a small world this is !
I live close to Knott's Berry Farm on the L.A. and Orange county line.
No plans for going home this holiday but thanks for the invite.
I miss Utica Club and boilermakers, I used to have both of the Schultz and Dooley steins !
I really miss the Genesee Cream Ale out of Rochester ! That stuff is like drinking soda. :drool:

Natoushka

Thought I would check out your new camper. Pretty sweet! Looking forward to some interior pics. Gotta say Im jealous of your upcoming western travels. We would of loved to have had the camper when we did that years ago. Your old FWC is still in good hands BTW and much loved:) Safe travels.

Jerry

Adventurer
Been sitting here reading and looking at the pictures for the better part of two hours, i.e. 2:00am till 4:00am. Amazing! Just amazing. When you started this thread I would not have guessed in a million years that it would end up in New Zealand...well, not exactly end there, but pretty close. Man, you have seen a lot of the world and met a lot of people for a guy in his early 30's and this old 70+ geezer says, "Good for you!". Thanks for the entertainment and please keep in coming if you feel up to sharing your life with the rest of us.
Jerry in Yakima, WA

mapper

Explorer
Nice! I missed the resurrection of this thread!! The new truck looks great hope it is working well. I've got some catching up to do. Feel free to drop a line if you're looking for a place to park in SLC

brian0128

This is the first time I've come across this thread. Read the whole thing over the last couple of hours. Great post about some amazing travels and life experiences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94