Hackster's crew cab first gen cummins

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I can't remember if you ended up with the OEM style pressed steel steering box bracket or the earlier cast box? If you have the pressed on give it a good check before you go, and keep an eye on it. I ripped mine in half about 3 time before I swapped to crossover steering.

On the headnet for bugs. Get one large enough to go over a brimmed hat like a small boonie hat you would see in the military. This will keep the bugs further away from your ears and eyes. Nothing annoys me more than bugs in my ears and eyes. Alaska and Canada are the worst for bugs in the summer too. Also, get some lighter long sleeve shirts, short sleeve shirts don't work with mosquitoes. If they are REALLY bad some small velcro straps to close off your sleeve and pant cuffs keeps them from getting inside your protection. I have had that happen...sucks. Light gloves also help with that.

I hope you get to read the rest of the trip, it will keep your mind off yours :)

hackster

Adventurer
I had the steering box bracket break on the black truck so I am familiar with it, this one has the stupid plate on it too. I got the brace to strenghthen the frame where the box mounts and ties it into the crossmember and need to install it.

So I will pull the box, pull the plate, inspect and weld up any cracks and reinstall. Those plates are no longer available from the dealer otherwise I would just get a new one before the trip.

Great advice on the nets and bugs, that was on the list still, so we got the nets ordered tonight.

kEEP THE TIPS COMING.

Unless someone has one hanging up in their shop somewhere.

Got my Flowmaster hp-2 muffler today at lunch along with two upper kingpin rebuild kits.

Got home from work late and rolled the muffler under the truck, it fit perfect in the spot that the muffler eliminator goes, pulled both the clamps and got to cutting, Pipe came out really easy, new muffler slid right in and bazinga, I was done, less than 30 minutes.

Started the truck up and holy crap it was quiet. For the first time since I have owned it, I could only hear the motor.

Had to tow my landcruiser down to Wilsonville to drop it off so it was good timing. As soon as I got out of the driveway all of the changes I had made together made a drastic change in the truck. Felt way more solid and it was quiet. Really quiet, both inside and outside.

The combo of all the sound deadener, hood liner and muffler totally changed the truck....

It's waaay too quiet for my liking, but should be great for the trip.

Knuckle rebuild tomorrow night after work, might even pull the box off the frame and check the plate and install the brace I have if I have time.

Sean

hackster

Adventurer
90+ Degrees here in Portland today so I got home from work late as I run a commercial heating and air conditioning service department then had little motivation to work.

Had some dinner with the wife and then went out and got to work.

Passenger side went really smooth, the upper bushing was totally hammered, worn pretty bad on one side of the bushing and not the other.

Drivers side was a pain, someone had had it apart before and scored the shank of the studs so I had to double nut that stud and pull the stud out, remove the double nuts and chase all the threads on the stud.

Drivers side bushing was work badly......and broken, the bushings are split, and grooved for grease pockets, the last section between the groove and the split was broken off.

Probably explains why the drivers side had some pretty good negative camber.

Inspected the box bracket while I was in there and did not see any cracks, but did not tear into it much either.

ARB 50 qt fridge showed up today along with the tied downs, 12' extension, Cooler cover and awning for the trailer.

Tomorrow is a done deal, headed to Grants Pass to pick up the next project.

Its not 4 wheel drive though :grinpimp:

More updates on Sunday.

Sean

Doc Mayhem

Observer
Love that truck and the Volvo. What do you have in the Action Packers? What are you seeing for mileage and what kind of range do you have? I apologize if this was answered earlier, but didn't see it.

-Doc

hackster

Adventurer
Picked up the bike mounts and a few other nick nacks and Andy and Bax today, got home and got to work building brackets for the bikes, had one spot to put them both and it was pretty tight, had to put one of the bikes lower and the handlebars through the center of the other bikes frame. They are both cross bikes and will be used a lot on the trip so there was no way I could go without them. I ride lots, usually between 500 and 800 miles a month 12 months a year.

So with that accomplished with some interesting bends and tube work and welding and painting done I moved onto the cooler mount. Got that all ironed out and decided to see how it looks. Looks full on there and I still have stuff to add on.

IMG_1567.jpgIMG_1568.jpgIMG_1565.jpgIMG_1566.jpg

Getting there,

Sean

redneck44

Adventurer
Awesome build, but I've got to ask....
5-800 miles a month on a bike, super quick build on your expo truck and various other toys to play with, do you ever actually sleep?

hackster

Adventurer
Time for a roof rack!

I thought about the roof rack but I think I am pretty close to having everything mounted somewhere. Keep in mind there is some space on the trailer as well so its not all going on the truck.

God that bed is so well-executed...

I dream of doing the same to my rust bucket one day.

Thank you, Lots of thought went into making everything fit and modular. I can take the rack parts out of the bed all with just a few screws. I did not drill or weld anything to the actual bed or bed floor so when it is unbolted it looks like there was never anything else there.

Awesome build, but I've got to ask....
5-800 miles a month on a bike, super quick build on your expo truck and various other toys to play with, do you ever actually sleep?

Well, I am married to a very understanding lady first of all who enjoys the end product, especially if it has some kind of adventure tied to it like this. I bike to work just about everyday, all year long so that adds the mileage on and does not take up all that much time but what I think really gets my stuff done is that I dont watch TV, sit in the house on the internet or read.

I work really hard and play just as hard.

Oh and I dont really sleep that much either. I usually get right around 6 or so hours of sleep a night.

I should have snapped a photo of the new truck too but still have not. 1968 ford f100 short bed standard cab 2wd pickup. Building an around town hauler for me to screw with and beat around town in, maybe take to an occasional auto cross or drag race. Looking to do some hot rod type events next summer with my dad, and would lover to check out Bonneville speed week at the Bonnevile salt flats.

So it is getting a 2003-2007 lincolc crown vic aluminum front crossmember and independant front suspension. 6.0 ls motor 4l80E and a big *** turbo.

I seriously thought about going Ford motor, but I just know so much more about the LS platform, parts are everywhere for them and they are cheap to boot.

Sean
Sean

kfgk14

Adventurer
I cannot wait to see that truck...not a fan of 2wd trucks unless its a classic body like that...should be awesome. You are gonna do a build thread somewhere right?

hackster

Adventurer
Yeah I will have a build thread somewhere, I will put a link to the buid thread on here. I agree it should be fun.

Tonight should be wiring up some last items like the 12 v outlet for the cooler. Trying to figure out what kind of outlet to put in the bed.

Question for you folks that have done this Alaska route, how important would it be for me to have a CB in the truck? I do not have a HAM radio or anything other than a cell phone to communicate with.

I have a not the greatest CB that I can throw in but need an antenna and wiring.

Thanks in advance for the advise,

Sean

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I had visions of putting this body on a 2500 Cummins chassis. The motor died, and I had to move, so traded it for work on my 94 12v. Wah. I'll be watching you build yours!

image_zps9de118c7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste