Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hackster's crew cab first gen cummins

So something happened with either the temperature outside or the mix on the paint and the paint on the core support ran like crazy and never setup. So Friday morning when I got up, the paint was a nasty sticky horrible mess. Tried to dry it but zero luck with that so I tried to sand it and it just went downhill from there.

So I took the whole core support over to Jon at Soda Blast in Tigard and he did a great job of cleaning up the mess I had been so successful in making.

Got the core support back friday night hung it in the garage, cleaned it, primed, sanded, scuffed it and heated it all up nice and warm as well as the garage.

Shot more paint on it and this time it turned out great.

Saturday morning, paint was dry so I was finally able to begin the reassembly process on the frontend. Inner fenders, trimmed for future fender cutting and core support mounted up.

The fenders and all the other stuff was next, so I got to mounting stuff.

Here is where I ended the day early as we had a wedding to go to.

I also spent some time cleaning up the engine since the engine bay was starting to look descent. Cleaned and painted the engine with some high temp black paint, pulled the top valve cover cover and shot that tan and re painted the cummins in red and used some stove brite on the exhaust and turbo exhaust side.

Other than figuring out why it wont start, and getting a radiator installed, the engine bay is pretty much buttoned up.

Sean

Went out this morning and had it in my head to get this thing running. A few minutes of troubleshooting had me at a bad clutch safety switch. With that jumpered out, it fired right up!! I was pretty excited.

So it runs now to finish it up and make it drive,

Picked up lower radiator hose, heater hose, vacuum hose and some other misc bits and installed those this morning along with the grill headlights and started to go through the light wiring as I have no parking lights or turn signals but lost interest in that when Asher showed up.

We turned to some exhaust fun, ran the 4" Diamond Eye exhaust out the back, descent system but a bit close to the transfer case no matter how you run it, 4" seems big on this truck.

Put the seat back in it, got some loose ends tied up and moved the old girl for the first time...barely fits in the garage door.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xPjyTeKJJ-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clutch feels great, tranny good so far and the brakes and steering are nice and tight as well.

Intercooler behind the 79 grille!!!

And just for fun since its actually in the garage....

Sean

So that brings me up to speed now. I have been reading this forum for a few years with really nothing to add worth while.

I have read the do it all dodge over and over and it was quite motivating and gave me some good ideas on this.

Now the plan is for the wheels and tires to show up next week so I can start trimming the front fender wells and building the bed.

More fun to come soon.

Sean

Default GREAT BUILD!

Wow I wish I had your work ethic! Keep up the great work. There are a lot of times when I wish my 1st gen had 4 doors. I have looked for a cab, but have had a hard time finding one. LOOKS GREAT!
    -Tyler-
    1993 Dodge W250 CUMMINS 4x4
    1985 Toyota FJ60 Landcruiser....soon to be powered by a 4bt Cummins
    1985 FWC Grandby Rebuild Thread
    2010 Yamaha WR250R
    2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

Fan-freaking-tastic! Love the whole idea. I was in Portland on Saturday... Wish you had posted this sooner! I assume you spend some time at ipd? I did up a '90 745 turbo with a bunch of their goodies. That was a fun car.
    '99 UZJ100 Land Cruiser Locked with OME and Super Swampers!
    '94 Santa Monica Airlines 39" longboard, Indy 159s, Powell AT wheels
    '14 Ram 3500 6.7, 68RFE, 2" level, 285/75-18 Toyos
    '07 Adventurer 10T with surfboard racks!
    '75 Argosy (Airstream) 26'

That's so cool, man! The only thing I don't like about my '90 W250 CTD Getrag 4.10 with 120k miles (other than the noise and the ride) is the single cab, which will eventually be the reason I off-load it...

Mike

Great work, sir! Truck looks super clean.
    2002 cc sb build. Sold.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-DuraMax-build

2008, FJ, 6m/t, brick, with all the important buttons.. build thread coming soon.

nice
    1993 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3 IDI 5 speed 4x4. Currently stock except for the 255/85R16's.
    1983 GMC 6.2L Suburban with sm465/np205 with 1 ton axles, crossover steering, 52" front springs, and rear shackle flip. Has 285/70r17 STT's on H2 rims.
    1996 GMC Suburban K2500 6.5TD 4L80E
    -Running Biodiesel
    1965 2WD F100 7.5L with C6.
    1967 mustang coupe project on hold waiting for a garage or shop.
    1979 CX500 putt arounder.

Great build up! Keep the pics and info rolling.

AWESOME!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast