Hackster's crew cab first gen cummins

hackster

Adventurer
Well, this has come to a bit of a standstill for the time being. The truck is still up at the frame shop in Washington. He was supposed to be able to look at it yesterday, I phone yesterday and they did not know if they were going to be able to look at it this week even.... Its frustrating to me since this is about the only thing that I cannot do myself I pretty much am at other peoples mercy.

If they dont have it done by Friday afternoon I am going to go and pick it up so I can work on it this weekend, I cannot really afford to lose another week and weekend of the truck just sitting with no work progressing.

So I found descent factory early shortbed for it that I have been thinking about picking up. I am torn between running a stock bed or a flatbed still. I like the idea of not having to deal withthe paint and body work of a stock bed....that would also lead to painting the rest of the truck right away as well. I like the look of a nicely built flatbed (more of a wheeler/chase bed than a utility flatbed) but I really like the look of a nice short bed crew cab.

I think I am just going to have to pick one and stick with it, no matter what I do, I will probably look back and say that I should have done the other.

Hope to be able to post up some progress soon...

Sean

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I feel your pain, but in the end, a factory box always looks "cleaner". Blakeapes flat deck on his gen2 is awesome too...

hackster

Adventurer
That bed looks great with the bedsides on it. Nice work!!

If I go with a flatbed, part of the reason would be so that I dont have to worry about the bedsides.

I think I am just going to build the flatbed, if for some reason down the road I want to put a bed on it, well then I will put a bed on it. Its not like I am backhalving it.

That is the good news. The bad news is that the truck is still at the frame shop....they still have not even looked at it and said that they will not be able to even get it on the rack until early next week at the earliest.

This is why I cannot stand taking my rig somewhere to get work done on it. Its on someone else's timeframe and well they get to it when they want to get to it.

I hear good things about his work, but man two weeks of the truck just sitting there is killing me.

I think that I am going to go get the truck either this afternoon or Tomorrow morning so that I can get started on the bed.

Ordered seats yesterday. Black on Black Mastercraft Baja RS with heavy duty sliders and internal adjustable lumbar supports. Pretty sure that I am going to use an ARB fridge for the center console if I can make it all fit.

I think I am giong with 2x5" sides for the bed with 1-3/4" tubing all around. Rear wheelwell openings will be tube bent to match the front fender opening and the back corners will be angled in at a 45. Not sure if I am going to try and put a tailgate on it or not. Might be kinda cool.

Sean

BBslider001

Diesel Head
What happened with the frame? I looked all through the thread and didn't see anything other than it went to the frame shop? Was it wrecked previously?

hackster

Adventurer
Well it was quite the soggy weekend here in the PNW....that did not stop me from working in the shop though.

The wife and dog were out of town all weekend so it was go time. Got the Green Volvo finished up and actually drove it around town for the first time Friday night. Some low boost (15psi) runs put a smile on my face for at least a few minutes.

77 chev and my friend Asher came by for a good part of the weekend to help. Thanks again Guys, never could have gotten this much done without the help.

So picked up the truck on Friday, got it home and unloaded. Got to work on it about 2 on Saturday after cleaning up the shop and the mess from the green car.

Scott and I put together his bender in the driveway with his new fancy Hydro setup (I need to get one for my bender ASAP) The setup is from a local guy Troy from SWAG. It was awesome. The fact that we were bending tube out on the rain sucked, but the fact that we were bending tube in such a small area and it was super easy and quick was priceless.

Saturday got the majority of the frame laid out, center pieces and bent up one fender opening. Sunday morning I came out early and got the other side and back end cleaned up and ready to build on. Here is what the base of the bed looks like.

E0C844BC-orig.jpg

A7033BC3-orig.jpg

22C3BD8F-orig.jpg

So with that all tacked up and where it should be, we grabbed some lunch. When we got back the rain had really moved in so we moved the old girl into the shop and got to work on the rest of the toob work.

This is my happy medium of a headache rack and rool bar. I could not get myself to make the stubs stick up any higher, but I wanted to give myself the ability to bolt on some extensions and use it as a latter/pipe rack. So the top of those tubes that look like devil horns will have a washer welded to the top of it with a nut on the bottom that I can bolt accessories to it.

17AD803A-orig.jpg

I ended up making the bed a little bit shorter than I wanted to, I wish that I would have made the bed 6'6" instead of 6' straight up but hindsight is what it is. I left 48" between the down tubes so I will easily be able to fit a 4x8 sheet of wood or whatever in the bed.

2D1DB76C-orig.jpg

C24D19FE-orig.jpg

F7854C6B-orig.jpg

Got the truck loaded back up on the trailer after we pulled off the bed and delivered it back up to the frame guys place about 10 pm last night.

Hope to be able to get the bed finished up this week and ready to go back on the cab when I get it back.

Now to figure out what to plate it with and what I want to do for a filler neck and an x behind the cab.

Sean

kfgk14

Adventurer
************! Kinda what I was dreaming of for the truck I wanted, but you pulled it off really nicely!

hackster

Adventurer
************! Kinda what I was dreaming of for the truck I wanted, but you pulled it off really nicely!

Thank you, I have been thinking about this truck for a long time so I had a really good vision in my head of what I wanted for a finished product.

Got home and amazingly it was still dry out.....:rolleyes:

Got the bed on some rollers and pushed it outside swapped on a new spool of wire and got the weld on.

Welded out everything that was assembled, ground down the welds only on the angled 2x5 base frame and got it ready to build the fenders and supports tomorrow night.

142EC377-orig.jpg

B8982A38-orig.jpg

15B176F1-orig.jpg

Still needs the x behind the cab or at least a angled down bar.....dont know if I have enough tube for it. I guess Ill find out tomorrow when I go to put it all together.

Sean

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
There is a joke here somewhere about 6", but I digress. I do think the 6'6" would be a bit better, but unless you want to sell me your reg cab, you will still have that if you need an 8' bed. The quality of your build is great. Maybe a pic or two of the Volvo if you get a minute...

hackster

Adventurer
There is a joke here somewhere about 6", but I digress. I do think the 6'6" would be a bit better, but unless you want to sell me your reg cab, you will still have that if you need an 8' bed. The quality of your build is great. Maybe a pic or two of the Volvo if you get a minute...

Oh I figured someone would catch on that....6"

I have some ideas about the bed, little step at the bottom and a spare tire carrier off the back are a couple ideas. EIther way I can always change it.

Which volvo? Here are the last three that I have built.... Started on the first one the light blue show car around January. I finished it, took it to some shows and sold it to a chap in Norway.

The 81 is my daily driver on the nicer days and has an ls motor with a t56.

The Green car is freshly finished....as in a couple days ago. full stand alone megasquirt v3 coil packs holset he341 id 1000 injectors. Will be running on e85 and somewhere around 350 ish hp to the rear tires at 30lbs of boost......I am building it for my wife to drive =)

Sean

BE3C47A8-orig.jpg

Engine before

AC08A2FB.jpg

After Body

17BB8B3B-orig.jpg

After Engine

BCC0FFA7.jpg

Daily Driver....not quite when I got it, Ill see if I can find an earlier photo of it.

EC75C1F4.jpg

38EA35AE-orig.jpg

After or really close to current...

A5777F8B-orig.jpg

CC619B61-orig.jpg

C03DA3C4-orig.jpg

The show car when I first got it.

D50C9664-orig.jpg

D374AC18-orig.jpg

After

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

Sean

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Those are some sweet bricks! There is a guy here in Whistler with an iroc 350 in his 244. My 745 was fun after I lowered it, put on bilsteins, upped the boost a bit and some nice low profile tires and alloys. Not even in the same galaxy as your cars!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste