Hackster's crew cab first gen cummins

hackster

Adventurer
So this afternoon shaped up nicely.

I picked up the truck from the frame shop and it was all finished up there. Eric is a good guy, frame looks great and its all back to better than stock tolerances.

Mastercraft baja rs front seats in black showed up as well as front skyjacker springs.

I ended up going with the aluminum for the bed. Don't know if I will do anything with it right away other than brushing the grain in one direction but maybe down the road something like linex.

Got all of the bed all welded up tonight, added in a bunch of bracing to the floor and got that all welded out.

Made the templates and cut the aluminum to fit. I was trying to have as few small pieces as possible and ended up with just three.

7FA7AB3A.jpg

BD10F479.jpg

FDAD3F1C.jpg

Sean

hackster

Adventurer
Only got a couple hours to work on it today. Spent most of the morning at a customers building digging in mud to help fix a water leak.

Got the center piece all cut and laid in where it needed to go, squared up and everything :shaking:

Laid out all the panels and got to drilling... That was a lot of holes to drill and tap.

Removed everything and shot on a coat of paint....Did not clean it enough, so I got some fisheyes. Scuffed it and got some more and reshot it all.

Here is where I am at now.

FD03299C-orig.jpg

233FD3BA-orig.jpg

4E83FCC2-orig.jpg

Pretty sure that this is the idea I am going to run with. Little different but you get the idea for the spare tire.

C555E8C6-orig.jpg

Sean

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
What can I say Sean, you have done some really clean:Wow1: fabrication on your flat-deck! I am impressed by the speed and the quality of the work you have done on your Dodge. Congrats on a fine looking rig..... Cheers, Chilli.:)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The deck looks great. I'm not surprised after seeing the quality of your cars! Will the spare sit vertical on a swing out type contraption? I think you would have a more useable bed that way. I'm sure it will be top notch one way or the other.

Last edited:

hackster

Adventurer
Thank you all for the props.

The plan for the tire carrier is for it to sit at an angle similar to the photo but to be on a swing out system to allow free and clear access to the bed area for loading and unloading stuff.

Had a hand for a few hours this morning so I used them to help me get the bed on and off a couple times. Had to make a couple adjustments after the frame got straightened but all seems to be ok for now. Have two tabs that I need to get back on but should be able to finish that later tonight.

7201B77E.jpg

948F0B5D.jpg

So I needed to come up with some kind of filler to get the diesel in the tank. I had purchased this cool all billet filler for a toyota a couple years ago, I opened it up and the filler is pretty large so I think it will be fine for the diesel nozzle.

I wanted to try and make it not stand out and still keep the bed flat for hauling stuff so I came up with the idea of frenching it in the front corner of the bed. Had to open up a piece of 4" to 5" and build a lip for the top and a flange for the bottom.

I am pretty happy the way it turned out.

2C9A8E85.jpg

3F3F4738.jpg

kfgk14

Adventurer
Sweet! Get the big rubber under that thing and it'll really come together.

Now, remind me: Are you doing this as an expo rig, DD, work/tow pig, just to do it and have the baddest truck in the area?

And, given this is expo, are you gonna go with a bed camper, RTT, custom topper that fits your unorthodox bedsides (this is the one I want to see, just to see it)?

Thanks

hackster

Adventurer
Sweet! Get the big rubber under that thing and it'll really come together.

Now, remind me: Are you doing this as an expo rig, DD, work/tow pig, just to do it and have the baddest truck in the area?

And, given this is expo, are you gonna go with a bed camper, RTT, custom topper that fits your unorthodox bedsides (this is the one I want to see, just to see it)?

Thanks

Dd expo tow mule snow wheeler. It kind of needs to be able to do it all thus the somewhat unorthodox bed build.

No topper plans. Building a trailer to tow behind it. Heading north next summer to homer Alaska and needed something bigger than a single cab truck for the trip with the wife and dog.

hackster

Adventurer
Yes they are ccw classics.... I loved the wheels they were a full custom fit to fit the front brake hat, the owner of CCW personally worked on the wheels to make them fit very nicely. I am going to order another set in matte black for my dialy driver with a much wider tire for my daily driver ls car this winter.

So I got the call yesterday that my wheels showed up!!!! It was all I could do to stay at work and finish my stuff for the day. Finally busted out of work around 3 and headed down to the cruiser shop to mount up some wheels and tires.

Wheels look better in person that any of us imagined.... Not to mention they are super easy to put together, way easier than a normal beadlock wheel. Had all four mounted up and ready to balance in about 2 hours and that was bsing a fair bit in that time.

Two balanced out amazingly at 1.5 and 2.0 oz each. The other two were at 5.0 and 5.5 oz. Not bad in my opinion for a 37 on a bolt together beadlock.

0A6B70DA-orig.jpg

30C34F44-orig.jpg

Got them loaded up and headed home with them in the back of the truck. Homeward bound, stopped in at an un named tire shop for lug nuts. They only had 4 in stock and wanted $4.00 a piece for them and wanted me to pay in advance to get them ordered in for tomorrow. That is $128.00 in lug nuts :eek: I opted to pass on that and get some from a different source.

Got them mounted up with two lugs per wheel.... and set it on the ground. Amazingly, the fronts were able to bolt on but I could not turn at all. Wheels back off the truck, Time for some front suspension work.

Pulled out the front springs and put in the new skyjackerd200s front springs with all new bushings. Easy install, just need some new longer shocks for the front of it and some crossover steering.

I will appologize for the crappy photos but its the best I could do in the dark.

BAF22A9B-orig.jpg

4F551C0C-orig.jpg

6BBFDDEE-orig.jpg

C2F24858-orig.jpg

Time for a front bumper, winch, tail lights, seats, well I guess there is a small laundry list of stuff to do still. :p

Sean

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Man, that is some talent! Volvo’s are not the run of the mill, easy to mod vehicle where anything can be purchased from a .com like building a Camaro, GM truck or whatever. It takes some true fabrication talent and creativity to build something like that. Very nice! The big crew cab Dodge is coming together nicely too although I was hoping to see a pick up bed on it rather than a truggy thing. Still awesome! :victory:

kfgk14

Adventurer
Now that's what pulled it all together! getting it off the rollers and onto the real deal shoes ties it all together, nice damn job!

Further build plans for the truck? Engine mods, lockers, etc?

Sorry I'm bombarding you with questions, I'm sorta living vicariously through your build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles