Hackster's crew cab first gen cummins

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
Sorry if I missed it, but where were you at in the snow wheeling pics?

I keep looking for you out on the road, but I haven't spotted you yet. Beautiful, beautiful truck.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
A831E526.jpg

Simply awesome!

hackster

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

Those photo's were taken up near the base of Mt. St.Helens we left from the Chelatchie Prairie store and headed towards Carson Wa. I would have liked to have continued on towards Carson but it did not work out for the group I was in.

No plans to black out the grille, door handles and other trim, it would be a lot of work, and I have lots of other stuff that I should be focusing on instead of that. Might look cool though.

Pulled off the turbo, exhaust, intake oil feed, oil drain and dropped the turbo in ten minutes. Too easy almost.

Mocked up the housing so I could get the center section of the turbo clocked correctly with the oil drain line. Then got the compressor side on and clocked in the correct orientation and managed to get the snap ring reinstalled.

Also forgot to mention that I welded up the wastegate since there was no good way for me to remount the wastegate actuator and the H1C never had one either.

Bolted the turbo onto the manifold and started to deal with the exhaust. Cut off the H1C flange and bolted the new Source weld on flange to the turbo, got the 4" exhaust cut back and fitting nice and welded it all up.

Here is the finished product....

8125668A.jpg

067483F4.jpg

I have the upgraded boost tubes from Source but I need to build a new discharge line, a little bit longer and with a little jog in it.

Turned out good, glad to be rid of that horrible 3" exhaust flange and know that when I want to upgrade to a descent aftermarket turbo, that it is a bolt in deal.

Drives totally different, before it was pretty laggy but the hit when the turbo would light off would put you back in your seat, now it just pulls hard from idle all the way up. Waaaayyyy less smokey and it builds even more boost. I really need to get a new boost guage that goes to 50 lbs.

Drives good and makes some nice noises too.

I am curious what it would do with an s300 in it.

Sean

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yeah, please don't "black out" your truck. It looks great as is. The trend to painting new trucks flat black or covering them completely in bed liner baffles me.

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Very nice work.

Can you tell me what the measurement is from floor to your door sill? rough measurement is fine. just want to get an idea to compare it to the height of my truck. Also, Are you running 35 or 37 tires? do not remember reading it anywhere.

One more thing. Would it be possible for you to post up a few more pics of the flat bed?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Del

hackster

Adventurer
There are a ton of photos on page 7 of the build of the bed. If there is something specific that you do not see let me know, but everything is in there.

The tires are 37's. Wish I would have manned up and just bought the 40's for it.

Sean

kfgk14

Adventurer
Looks better every time.

Any idea as to mpg's? Are you planning on integrating biodiesel/waste oils/etc?

40's would be sweet on that thing.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
40's would look fine and all, but I think the 37's are more than enough. I am glad you didn't "man up" and do the over size tire thing. It's like the blacking out trend....after awhile it's like "stop already". :elkgrin:

And please.....INTERIOR PICS!!!!!! Just askin'.....:snorkel:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My next truck will just run 37s. The 39s are fun and all, but the limited expensive tire choices are kinda a bummer. You can get just about anything you want in a 37x12.5x17 these days.....

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Fantastic build! Saw it over on GJ. Not sure how I missed it here tho? Would love to see the interior as well.

Brad

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles