How Wide of Axles Are You Running On Your 416's with Large Tires?

TheJosh

Explorer
im trying to figure out how wide to order my custom axle for my 416 so i can run 35x12.50x17's KM2 on stock toyota wheels. just looking to see what you guys figured out for a good width.

thanks!

RAZORBACK

Observer
Depends a lot on the back spacing of your wheel. I run the original axle with 37x13.50xR18. My wheels have a 4.5 bs I believe. I also run a 1.5" spacer/adapter.

TheJosh

Explorer
Depends a lot on the back spacing of your wheel. I run the original axle with 37x13.50xR18. My wheels have a 4.5 bs I believe. I also run a 1.5" spacer/adapter.

true, i have 5.5 backspacing, what size lift did you do? did you soa? and did you have to modify your fenders?

link to your build thread?

thanks!

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
We have the same width tub as an M416 and our hubface measurement is 55.5". With Ford Raptor wheels that have 6" of backspacing and 2" wide adapters; the 35x12.5 BFG's sit right at the edge of our 12.5" fenders. See pictures below.

Will you need to run an adapter for your Toyota wheels? If not, do you still need to run a spacer to clear your centercaps?

If neither, then I'd say your axle width should be ~58.5". If so, then 1.5" spacer/adapter should be ~55.5", 2" spacer/adapter should be ~56.5".

I think I got that math right:coffee:. If you can, it's best to lay everything out with an existing axle just to make sure all the approximations are correct and they are fitting the way you want.

Hope that helps,
Josh

Attachments

• Photo May 25, 6 59 22 PM.jpg
    Photo May 25, 6 59 22 PM.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo May 28, 11 44 34 AM.jpg
    Photo May 28, 11 44 34 AM.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo May 28, 11 17 55 AM.jpg
    Photo May 28, 11 17 55 AM.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo May 23, 5 50 37 PM.jpg
    Photo May 23, 5 50 37 PM.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 7

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I am running the original axle and since I have a CJ the rims are the same. I am running 33x12.50x15 BFG KM2. NO problems but I have a SOA. Cannot remember backspaciing on a CJ but somewhere around 3.5"

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I'm running the stock M416 axle.

Did do a SOA on it.

Tires/wheels are 31x12.5-15 on CJ wheels w/3.75 BS.

I made some fender extensions, so the tires were completely covered.

TrailerProject023.jpg

Just used some flat steel, 16 guage i think, and pushed the fenders out a few inches.

I did it this way, so in the future, I can revert it back to factory specs should I decide to.

RAZORBACK

Observer
true, i have 5.5 backspacing, what size lift did you do? did you soa? and did you have to modify your fenders?

link to your build thread?

thanks!

I did a SOA. After I added the RTT, I had to swap the original fenders out for aftermarket due to the extra weight making the tires rub the fenders when I would take the trailer offroad.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Back spacing and tire width also effects the width

Ie you probably want 2" between your tire and the frame / body

so you'd have to measure not only the rim backspacing but hub face to outside of tire

TheJosh

Explorer
I did a SOA. After I added the RTT, I had to swap the original fenders out for aftermarket due to the extra weight making the tires rub the fenders when I would take the trailer offroad.

What aftermarket fenders are you running?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles