Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My project is finally moving...Literally

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    52

    Default My project is finally moving...Literally

    Well I haven't posted much but it is quiet here this weekend and finally after months I drove my truck (about 100ft but still).

    A little history. I got a 1996 manual Discovery with 61k miles back in February. It had a misfire and a ticking sound. Thinking both would be an easy fix I thought I got a good deal. The ticking sound was just lifters. Unfortunately the misfire was a dropped cylinder liner. So out goes the Land Rover V8 and in goes a 2004 GM 4.3l V6 I got with less then 10miles from a place in Washington. At first I thought doing this swap would be more economical then getting a new Land Rover long block...I was wrong but I still don't regret it.

    So many things have had to be modified or fabricated that I lost track. Things seem good though and all it needs before I can at least drive it to work is to modify the exhaust (open headers currently) and get a proper air filter. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

    I am trying to get into using this Flikr photo sharing sight for family and friends but I don't know how well this link will work:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/1493009...th/1571928255/

    If the link does work be sure to read the captions. I figure if anyone else wants to undertake such a project they can at least learn from my mistakes.

    Sam

    PS: Great Forum Guys!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    4,679
    Very cool. Report back to us how you like the engine in the Disco. My brother has the same engine in his pickup (i think) and its been great for him.... and he does like 20,000 mile oil changes.... he's got close to 120K on it now. How much did you say you paid for the disco and the motor?
    How did everything connect up? Any adapters for the transfer case or anything? I know you probably fabbed up the motor mounts. But, like i said, looks good.
    Scott Brown- Overland Guide and Photographer
    1995 Montero SR--
    1988 FJ62 Landcruiser (project)--1987 4Runner(sold)--1997 Honda XR650L--


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Montreal & San Francisco
    Posts
    5,681
    very impressive work
    Christian

    CTO Expedition Portal
    www.expeditionportal.com
    www.overlandjournal.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cornwall Ct.
    Posts
    557
    Very nice job!

    jim
    OM616 powered 88 Land Rover
    OM617 turbo powered 109

    Built, not bought

    http://www.seriestrek.com

    Wishful thinking and just plain ignorance

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    714
    Looks good, even a little more room under the hood to work if need be by the looks of it.
    Dave

    99 D2

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Land between the Rivers
    Posts
    875
    Wow, that looks great!

    You know that ECU location is almost exactly where Land Rover had "issues" with theirs, right?

    Water seems to get into the connections - long term. They had some TSB on the '96 or '97's with a plastic shield that was dealer installed to shield the ECU.

    KAA
    Don't worry, you're biodegradable.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Greenville, South Carolina
    Posts
    52
    LaOutBack:

    The engine was about $1800 shipped. Truck was $4000. Condition of the truck is very good besides the engine that came with it.

    I am using the original Land Rover 5sp Transmission and it is connected to the GM block via the Mark's Adapter plate. That kit comes with an upper and lower adapter plate (lower plate just used for the dust shield) and the bushing for the transmission input shaft. Everything else in the Kit didn't work for my application. Luckily the clutch operates just fine without having to shim the throw out bearing (I was really worried about that one).

    The motor mounts are for a v8 and didn't line up. The flywheel Mark's sells is for the old style GM crank and didn't work at all. I was really upset when I found that one out and they don't mention it on their website. $450 down the drain since shipping cost that much for Australia.

    If I had to do it again (such as if the bell housing cracks) I would design my own adapter plate that is a complete circle that would connect just like a GM transmission would to both the block and oil pan. That would strengthen the bell housing and be a nicer setup. I will just keep an eye on it for now.




    Monkeyboy:

    Thanks for the heads up. I put the ECM there mainly because it fit so nicely. The original ECM did have a plastic guard but it was way to small. I will look about building a simple aluminum rain guard now since you mention it. Better safe then sorry.


    Everyone:

    Thanks a lot for all the compliments!

    Sam

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Conifer, CO
    Posts
    2,068
    Very Cool, I am really curious how this is going to work out long range. I bet you will love it!
    '92 Range Rover
    '93 Range Rover LWB
    '71 Mercedes 220 Diesel - The daily Beast

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Tracy CA
    Posts
    568
    this is so cool.

    I'm sure you get better gas miles and it does look quite spacous in there!
    1997 LR Disco
    6" lift, 33's, Bumpers and HD steering.
    1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8
    stock!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A town called Malice
    Posts
    1,337
    Sweet job! Parts should be cheaper too.


    With all of that new found room you can supercharge it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •