My project is finally moving...Literally

shartzer

Observer
Well I haven't posted much but it is quiet here this weekend and finally after months I drove my truck (about 100ft but still).

A little history. I got a 1996 manual Discovery with 61k miles back in February. It had a misfire and a ticking sound. Thinking both would be an easy fix I thought I got a good deal. The ticking sound was just lifters. Unfortunately the misfire was a dropped cylinder liner. So out goes the Land Rover V8 and in goes a 2004 GM 4.3l V6 I got with less then 10miles from a place in Washington. At first I thought doing this swap would be more economical then getting a new Land Rover long block...I was wrong but I still don't regret it.

So many things have had to be modified or fabricated that I lost track. Things seem good though and all it needs before I can at least drive it to work is to modify the exhaust (open headers currently) and get a proper air filter. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I am trying to get into using this Flikr photo sharing sight for family and friends but I don't know how well this link will work:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14930094@N06/sets/72157602423635795/show/with/1571928255/

If the link does work be sure to read the captions. I figure if anyone else wants to undertake such a project they can at least learn from my mistakes.

Sam

PS: Great Forum Guys!

Very cool. Report back to us how you like the engine in the Disco. My brother has the same engine in his pickup (i think) and its been great for him.... and he does like 20,000 mile oil changes.... he's got close to 120K on it now. How much did you say you paid for the disco and the motor?
How did everything connect up? Any adapters for the transfer case or anything? I know you probably fabbed up the motor mounts. But, like i said, looks good.

bovw

Explorer
Looks good, even a little more room under the hood to work if need be by the looks of it.

Wow, that looks great!

You know that ECU location is almost exactly where Land Rover had "issues" with theirs, right?

Water seems to get into the connections - long term. They had some TSB on the '96 or '97's with a plastic shield that was dealer installed to shield the ECU.

KAA

shartzer

Observer
LaOutBack:

The engine was about $1800 shipped. Truck was $4000. Condition of the truck is very good besides the engine that came with it.

I am using the original Land Rover 5sp Transmission and it is connected to the GM block via the Mark's Adapter plate. That kit comes with an upper and lower adapter plate (lower plate just used for the dust shield) and the bushing for the transmission input shaft. Everything else in the Kit didn't work for my application. Luckily the clutch operates just fine without having to shim the throw out bearing (I was really worried about that one).

The motor mounts are for a v8 and didn't line up. The flywheel Mark's sells is for the old style GM crank and didn't work at all. I was really upset when I found that one out and they don't mention it on their website. $450 down the drain since shipping cost that much for Australia.

If I had to do it again (such as if the bell housing cracks) I would design my own adapter plate that is a complete circle that would connect just like a GM transmission would to both the block and oil pan. That would strengthen the bell housing and be a nicer setup. I will just keep an eye on it for now.

Monkeyboy:

Thanks for the heads up. I put the ECM there mainly because it fit so nicely. The original ECM did have a plastic guard but it was way to small. I will look about building a simple aluminum rain guard now since you mention it. Better safe then sorry.

Everyone:

Thanks a lot for all the compliments!

Sam

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Very Cool, I am really curious how this is going to work out long range. I bet you will love it!

Green96D1

Explorer
this is so cool.

I'm sure you get better gas miles and it does look quite spacous in there!:Astrologist:

sven

Adventurer
Very nice!

Im interested to see how it performs compared to stock. Also like to know MPG. Keep us posted!

shartzer

Observer
Thanks for all the compliments.

I have been driving the truck 1-3 times per week over the last several months and so far so good. I was having issues with a slightly rough idle and low power at interstate speeds. I played around with a lot of things but it turned out the junkyard gave me bad ignition wires with the nearly new engine. I replaced those in early January with MSDs but haven't gone threw enough gas to calculate MPG yet. The truck runs great now though. No drivability issues at all.

I am slighlty worried with all of the misfires from the ignition wire problem I have melted the catalyst. They are so cheep from Summit I may just order another set and weld them on. But that could be keeping my MPG and power down.

I am hopefully getting tires put on today (235/85/16) and maybe I can take some new pictures. Rock sliders are up next (probably BlackFoot).

shartzer

Observer
I got the tires and did the "Camel Cut" to make them fit nicely. Also took some pictures to show the latest ( Pictures ).

Unfortunately it will take even longer to get some fuel economy data because my last fill wouldn't let me fill past $50 so I didn't get a full tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles