Roof Basket Size on a Gen II.5? Is this too small?

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
I have a line on a 3'x5' roof rack/basket for my '99 Monty, but I am hesitating because I'm thinking it's too narrow. 36" would sit one inch in from the stock roof rails on each side. Of course, the 5' length is plenty long. Functionally it should be fine. I should be able to fit the gear I need to in to, but will it look odd?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MontyMcV

Observer
How will you mount it? If to the factory rack, then will probably not look too bad. Myself, I have gone the other route, filling the whole roof. I have a Yakima Mega Warrior with 1.5x extension. This puts it at 4' wide and a little over 6-1/2' long. This puts it just short of the windshield enough for the fairing to mount.

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
I think I would lose the stock cross bars and build a mount that attaches to both side rails.

So your rack is pretty much as wide as the roof?

MontyMcV

Observer
One benefit is that the SportBox XL cargo box I have will fit inside the basket, meaning I don't have to remove it when I want to use the box. In fact, I often use the box to keep imporant things dry, and then pack around it with odds and ends. This is usually when I go camping with the kids. Also have a receiver and a hitch platform. Have a big Contico box for it. The big cooler then sits on top of that. With all of this, I can fit the two kids and two friends inside and handle a long weekend fine.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I have a line on a 3'x5' roof rack/basket for my '99 Monty, but I am hesitating because I'm thinking it's too narrow. 36" would sit one inch in from the stock roof rails on each side. Of course, the 5' length is plenty long. Functionally it should be fine. I should be able to fit the gear I need to in to, but will it look odd?

Thanks!

Really depends on you I think. For me I prefer at least 48" width on a roof rack but not much wider so it doesn't get hung up on trees as often.

Clem

Adventurer
Yakima 1A Raingutter Towers

Bringing an old thread back to life...:sombrero:

So last time I went camping we put the Yakima cargo pod on the stock roof rack. It was not a good fit (the stock cross bars are too narrow and flimsy...bounced/chattered on the roof :Wow1:), but it worked out. Camping season is right around the corner and I am looking at the Yakima 1A Raingutter Towers and wondered if I need the high rise extenders to get over the stock roof rack or can I get by with just the 1A towers? From a photo I found here on the portal, it looks like MontyMcV used the 1A towers w/o extenders, but it is hard to tell from the angle of the picture if the stock roof rack is there or not. Has/does anyone run the Yakima 1A towers over the stock roof rack? It I do need to remove the stock rack, how much is involved?

(I did a quick search of Offroader & LaOutbackTrail build threads, but a lot of the older pics are now not viewable for me)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Clem :coffee:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
My suggestion is to remove the oe rack (put in 1/4x20 screws temporarily if you wish) and run just the aftermarket rack. Will reduce the wind resistance/noise. Also, you don't need the extenders with or without the rack from my recollection.:ylsmoke:

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Id go with a aftermarket rain gutter rack. OE rack is plastic and flimsy. I installed a rack that was originally on a XJ jeep.

Clem

Adventurer
Good idea eurosonic...I have the cargo pod bars already...and found some 1A tower on craig's list...I'll go that route for now...

So, just a few screws/bolts to loosen up to remove the stock rack, then?

Thanks for replys,

Clem

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yup. Phillips screws under a plastic access cover/panel on each foot. If the riv-nuts spin you can pry up the foot as you unscrew it and that will make the nuts bite into the roof more so they stop spinning and you can then loosen the screws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles