Snow skiing w/pop up camper

Vzfit

Observer
Anyone have any experience, advice, tips, or recommendations for skiing in Colorado and sleeping in your pop-up truck camper?

My wife and I want to head up in late Nov/Early Dec to get some skiing in w/o paying for a hotel. Where is a good spot for us and what should we lookout for?

Thanks a lot,
Sam

1stDeuce

Explorer
I had been considering the same last year. I checked into camping in the parking lot at Copper Mtn and it was not really "approved". I don't think Loveland or A-Basin care, but there are no facilities after about 6PM. Not sure the other hills, but where there's a will, there's a way! Call and ask if they have a lot that you can put your RV in for a weekend of skiing. Worst they can do is say no, and you just go off-resort. :)

Shiryas

Adventurer
I still see a fair number of RVs at Copper when I ski there. The parking lot across Hwy 91 (overflow) usually has some in it on the weekends. No idea if its approved, ask the lot attendants, whoever answers the main phone probably has no idea.

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
I have spent a few nights at A-basin in a pop up. No hassle and there were a few (3 total) others there with us. Just remember its high altitude in the parking lot so that make effect you furnace. also we got a big snow overnight when we were there and the roof of my buddies FWC was sagging quite a bit from the snow load. If you're not tied to the front range the SW mtns. are great, less crowded and camper friendly. I lived in Durango for a 5 years and often spent nights in the t ride parking lot. Sounds like fun and sure makes me miss the good ole days..

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
OK its a bit bigger - we stay in this when we ski

we have no power - just generator and propane- we even turn the heating off at night - rather than run the batteries down

DSCN4467.jpg

I have spent a few nights at A-basin in a pop up. No hassle and there were a few (3 total) others there with us. Just remember its high altitude in the parking lot so that make effect you furnace. also we got a big snow overnight when we were there and the roof of my buddies FWC was sagging quite a bit from the snow load. If you're not tied to the front range the SW mtns. are great, less crowded and camper friendly. I lived in Durango for a 5 years and often spent nights in the t ride parking lot. Sounds like fun and sure makes me miss the good ole days..

I know Taos (in NM) has signs limiting it to either 5 or 7 days, but knew a guy that bought my old Aerostar van and slept in it for almost a month. I lived in Telluride, and Taos can hang with the Colorado guys on powder days, as long as you like steep. Having lived in a van in Colorado for the end and beginning of winter, I'd say make sure and layer and keep your body temperature up during the day (because it doesn't get any warmer at night in your rig).

Vzfit

Observer
Has anyone been skiing this season with their pop-up camper? Our adventure is less than a week away!

austintaco

Explorer
We stayed in the Walmart parking lot in Ruidosa our first night in Ruidosa and our first night with the Flippac. We drove up the mountain the next day, and then flipped it out to use as a change room, and a place to have lunch. We had lots of people checking it out and it made it easy to find the truck at the end of the day.
That Walmart was very clean, open all night (bathrooms !) and had a Subway sandwich place inside for a quick breakfast.

I dont have a pop up, but have done a few Skifari's and suggest sleeping in the employee parking areas. Never been hasseled on the West coast anyways.

camper101

Observer
Has anyone been skiing this season with their pop-up camper? Our adventure is less than a week away!
Vzfit please let us know how the trip goes. This is pretty much what we'll be doing all winter (until we move farther west). How's your luck been with finding camping?

I was thinking that we'd have to spend nights at trailheads, access roads, etc for the most part if ski areas don't allow camping (and Walmart of course if time is short). Others have already mentioned the only places I'm aware of that allow camping.

We've only taken our camper mountain biking so far. Fruita is still in good shape.

Vzfit

Observer
My wife and I were able to camp at Copper Mountain, Colorado for free in the "free" parking lot. No one hassled us at all. The bus driver going who shuttles from the lot even gave me # for security if anyone gave us any problems. I would do it again in a heartbeat if there was more snow on the mountain. Currently, most of the snow is man made and only a few runs are open. We only spent one day skiing and one night there. Be prepared for really cold nights at ski resorts, have a good heater and a good sleeping bag. Also, make sure your pipes aren't full of water because they will freeze. Pop up camper sleeping is also often better with ear plugs (we were by a hwy with trucks going by all hours of the night). I will post a trip report soon for our adventure to Colorado. Thanks All.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles