transporting water, your ideas?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
So I had this idea pop into my head a few weeks back, I think it might be good. tell me what you think.

A roof top mounted 4 inch or larger pvc pipe sealed but with a fill plug and a drain plug. Most likely can't be used for drinking, but for shower water and basic water needs.
Could easily be filled with a garden hose or even by buckets and drained in many ways including a shower head. Since it's on the roof (in direct sun light) it should be able to stay warm, maybe...

How's my idea sound?
I think I might try this on my Jeep XJ. Would be nice to shower off after kayaking in the salt water...

Do you have an interesting way of transporting water? If so please share.

grimbo

Explorer
See heaps of that setup here in Australia in roof racks. Many times painted black to enable solar heating of the water. I have the pipes and bits and pieces to do the same on my trailer just need to get around to mounting it all up.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I'm no expert, but I have seen discussions on this board before. While it may work out for you, some argue against it on the basis that you want to keep the weight as low (close to the ground) as possible. According to my quick calculations, 4' section of 4" PVC would hold about 2.6 gallons (enough for a quick shower) and weigh about 25 pounds.

lcsodiver

Adventurer
Scuba divers do it all the time, 4 inch black abs pipe on the roof, when you are finished diving just hook in your dive tank to pressurize the pipes and instant warm to hot water shower to rinse all the salt off! that said I wouldn't want to store a large amount on the roof due to weight, but 4-8 gallons up there during your drive so when you pull into camp your shower is ready might be nice.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Scuba divers do it all the time, 4 inch black abs pipe on the roof, when you are finished diving just hook in your dive tank to pressurize the pipes...

Doood, if I still gots air in my tank, the dive's not over. :victory:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Im planning on building holding tanks out of 10" ABS for my camper build.

Ive also considered a 3" or 4" holding tank overhead outside for a simple solar shower.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Paul Jensen used this approach as a water tank in one of the Sprinters he converted. Held about 4 gallons, IIRC.

clip_image122_014.jpg

This picture doesn't show the valve/spout added later to the bottom. I couldn't say whether you'd find this adaptable to roof use.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I've seen this as well. Saw sewer pipe about 6" I think (it's blueish green) and painted black with caps and fitings in the end caps. Seems though smaller diameter, like 2" would be better as it would heat up faster. I could see running 2" around the top getting maybe 16-20 gal. Not sure how hot it would get especially as you lowered the contents. Not sure what the weight shifting would be like as you used half of it and it had room to slosh to one side, as long as it's full, seems like it would be minimal. :coffee:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I asked google: 18.38 inch lengths of 4" PVC to hold each gallon of water.
Thanks guys, I'm going to price all the stuff. I hope I can do this.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
That's actually a really good idea. I have my 10L of drinking water on board all the time which lasts for a few days if it's only used for drinking/cooking, but having water for doing dishes or washing up would be really handy! I'm definitely looking into doing this.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
After looking in Lowes and homedepot, I'm a little baffled... How would I secure the 4ft long 4inch PVC to my standard gutter mount thule rack?
I could use some rope but I know that wont't be safe or last very long lol
I'll happily hear some suggestions ;)

Last edited:

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Also what's the diff between sch 40 and 80?
Is there any pvc that would be safe for holding drinking water. I don't think I'll need it, but good to know...
thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000