Atomic Axles

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I just stumbled across this product... gives a new meaning to solid axles, with the arched housing.

axle1.jpg

axle3.jpg

It kind of makes me want to do a solid axle conversion!

Last edited:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Saw those in a magazine recently. I think it was Peterson's or something. Anyway they look very nice. That's one of the reasons I've been inclined to keep the IFS - ground clearance on the front end.

gjackson

FRGS
does that beast have rear wheel steering too!?

Yep. Sure does. The truck is from Outback Import, which is based, surprisingly, in Marseille France. The portal axles are NOT Volvo, though. The portal drop boxes are made by Maxidrive and is a gear driven unit that is bolted onto the end of a standard LR alxe. The Swivel is from a SIII LR. The 4 wheel steering is accomplished by a tiller in the centre console. Pretty sweet set up!

cheers

shawkins

Adventurer
The only bad thing about those overkill eng. axles is they use a CV joint (if I remember right) up by the diff. I think they showed that in the Peterson's article?

Robthebrit

Explorer
As far as I know the atomic axles are not portals, you can see in the picture that the final drive is directly in the middle of the wheel. These axles use the arch to lift the differential so you don't need portal hubs within the wheel.

They look pretty damn sturdy but there are U-joints in the axle tube which maybe a failure point and very difficult to get at.

Rob

toyrunner95

Explorer
those tires are gnarley,

i know the guys at road armor, or atomic engineering, its the same company. the atomic axel is actually compatable with unimog portals, you just have to get them put on. however; it is just one more moving part that could fail.

JohnC

Observer
devinsixtyseven said:
x2...where?
They are $300 each for a set of 35x10.5x15 (285x90x15) Extreme Trekkers plus shipping from NY 10983. I have 4 right now but I could get the 5th one in with our next shipment.

I normally carry the Jungle Trekkers (which is what I have on my truck right now) and the ET2 in both 15 and 16 inch rim size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz