Fixed blade knife usefulness

buckshot500

Observer
One thing I learned from survival shows on TV, is that a fixed blade sheath knife can be used to chop through fairly thick branches.

Like when building a shelter out of branches and vines.

You take a 12"-15" peice of branch that is about 1-1/2" to 2" thick and use it like a hammer, striking the back edge of the knife causing the cutting edge to proceed through the wood you are cutting. This works well on green wood, but a bit more difficult on dry wood.

Protect your eyes if possible. A good survival knife won't break, but trying this with a kitchen knife would not end well.

29centTaco

Observer
Make your own. IMG_0804.jpg

I've used mine for skinning, gutting, fishing, fire making, jumping a bad starter solenoid, screwdriver, swizzle stick... It's the tool you should always have close by.

madmax718

Explorer
A good fixed blade is indispensable. Even a cheaper blade is better than nothing. Construction and material has a lot to do with it, more so than brand. I have a cold steel machete that I use all the time- I use a file to keep it sharp. I use it to wack tall grass, cut bamboo, vines, etc. I sharpened up the edge (the panga style) as I watched some people in the DR do with theirs. it allows them to use it as a rough digging/cutting tool to cut roots/etc without dulling their main grind. I use it for gardening all the time. Whack off small branches to get the thicker main branch.

I carry a folding knife, but thats for in the pocket. A good sheath is critical for any good fixed blade. Without it, you will put down your blade on the ground, where it least belongs, and most likely to loose. the glock knife is very durable, I've used it to split wood, pry boxes, etc. But its thick blade is not the greatest for anything else- like cooking.

I like the gerber LMF and the Kabar. Both good dependable knives. The gerber I like because it comes with a sharpener in the sheath. The Kabar feels very good, but the leather handle will get nasty after a while. (its stacked leather). Good for grip- not good for sanitary purposes.

This though, is one of my little favorites.
BU140BKS-300x210.jpg
Not too thick or thin, don't really want to be *too* rough with it (like split wood), but it keeps a good edge, is rugged, and easy to clean. Folding blades suck for cleaning game, the folding mechanism gets gummed up with fish guts, fat, etc. its very light weight. I can use this thing for general food prep as well.

This knife is my favorite for food prep:
53t4p.jpg
Its small, but its shaped like a cross between a santuku and a chefs knife. If you love cooking, you'll know what I mean, when the handle is in line with the back of the blade, allowing clearance for your fingers when you chop down.

Center tang blades just don't offer that, so your cut requires a sawing motion, more than just "pressing down". Your only able to use part of the cutting edge of the blade.

I tried to order one as a gift, but it is discontinued. If you can find it, its super light weight, but its a very very thin blade- if you abuse it, it will probably fail you.

eggman918

Adventurer
I also think a fixed blade knife is indispensable and over the years I have carried a K-bar or a Bowie style that I have made myself,but at this time I'm carrying a M-9 bayonet
as a knife/utility tool for the field it cannot be beat all the advantages of the K-bar but more heavily built and it has a nice saw back and the wire cutter function.
But if you are shopping for one beware of cheep imitations they are everywhere stick with a US issue one they can be found for under $100.00 well worth the price.
just my two cents

Attachments

• ONM9.jpg
    ONM9.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 22

29centTaco

Observer
I also think a fixed blade knife is indispensable and over the years I have carried a K-bar or a Bowie style that I have made myself,but at this time I'm carrying a M-9 bayonet
as a knife/utility tool for the field it cannot be beat all the advantages of the K-bar but more heavily built and it has a nice saw back and the wire cutter function.
But if you are shopping for one beware of cheep imitations they are everywhere stick with a US issue one they can be found for under $100.00 well worth the price.
just my two cents

Does that have the self sharpening sheath?

eggman918

Adventurer
Does that have the self sharpening sheath?
The one I have does not but some do.
The stone they come with is not that great of a stone and they are simply epoxied to the back of the sheathe so you could epoxy the stone or diamond hone of your choice to any of them.
the one option I am planning to get is the cross guard with the bottle opener on it....it get's thirsty in the field.

Last edited:

29centTaco

Observer
The one I have does not but some do.
The stone they come with is not that great of a stone and they are simply epoxied to the back of the sheathe so you could epoxy the stone or diamond hone of your choice to any of them.
the one option I am planning to get is the cross guard with the bottle opener on it....it get's thirsty in the field.

Nice! My cousin could open bottles with his wedding ring. Damn near tore my finger off trying that.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Fix blade knives.......

In one word, yes. Having owned and still own many many higher end one hand opening locking folders, Spyderco, Benchmade as well as CRKT and a few other brands and some older brands that are retired and live in the safe. I have an affection for each and every one of the and many memories of using them, camping, hunting and fishing trips. In my younger years a kid could have a knife on his person and even have it in school and not be thought of as a threat to other students, imagine that!!!!

I must say that I am now back to a small fixed blade Boker, ( Tom Krien design) 3 in. blade, micarta handle scales with a kydex sheath and tek-lock belt attachment. No moving parts, springs, locks to break or get gummed up and very easy to maintain. I have been EDCing this blade for almost a year now and find just as easy to carry as one of my folders, just my .02 as a result of having a carried a knife on my person for over 50 years...... back in the day when slip joint pocket knives reigned, no pocket clips locks (save a few) or one hand openers, Buck 110's, Case, Schrade, Old Timer just to name a few, still around but back then they were the King's! mjmcdowell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles