Fixed blade knife usefulness

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I have an ESEE-4 in my BOB. Doesn't see much use other than in emergencies, which thankfully there have not been many of. I carry one of a couple Benchmade folders for general purpose use and find those generally take are of my every day needs.

ESEE-4P-DT.jpg

Jkfisher84

Adventurer
cant go wrong with a fixed blade. Especially with a full tang. I have a few moras right now and one gerber but hopefully santa is awesome this year and brings me an ESEE 4 or 5! I love my moras. Especially the carbon steel one which I can bounce flames off of with my firesteel. Its sharp as hell.

mudbutt

Explorer
Bonus points to anyone who can tell me the technical term for the serrations on the back of the blade as seen here.

Attachments

• 12345.jpg
    12345.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 30

BurbanAZ

Explorer
i always have a few blades with or on me. They have a ton of uses. I keep a fixed blade in all of my vehicles and i always have my benchmade griptilian folder on me, which is what sees the most use.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
file work on blade spine.....

"Jimping" or "file work", commercial or custom to give more traction to a thumb/finger at the base of the blade to prevent slipping in hard use. mjmcdowell

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
I have a cheap Kabar that does everything I need, and I use it constantly, both at home and on the road. It holds an edge well enough that I don't hesitate to use it as a cooking knife if I fail to remember to bring my "real" knives. No crazy survival stories here, but it's been a handy companion.

PaintRock

Adventurer
I'll cast another vote for the ESEE knives. I just bought an ESEE 4 that I haven't really used yet. But, I also have the Izula II that is very handy and tough for its size.

IMG_0444.jpg

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I don't leave home without a Becker Necker. Not expensive, tough and has a bottle opener on the handle. I find myself using it at least once a day...if not cutting something then at least opening an IPA. It's a life saver.

In camp, I supplement my Necker with a Becker BK2. You can't beat 'em. Chops wood (even useful for battoning) , cuts chicken, paracord, veggies, prys anything you'd need to pry and shaves fatwood (fatlighter, lighterknot, etc.)

bruzer1123

Observer
I daily carry an ESEE Izula...fits in my front pocket and I use it for everything from opening boxes to sharpening sticks to fire-starting. Good solid, small knife.

1cambo

who makes those knives? beautiful!!
I much prefer a fixed blade. My daily carry is a folder lock-blade but that is just for convenience. When I am out and about in the woods I always wear a fixed blade. The first one is my favorite hunting knife. The second one I am getting made for my son for his B-day (and me one too :coffeedrink: ) It should serve him well for a long time.

wtk-jkhunter-M.jpg

military-25-1000-M.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles