The best baja truck

Wingman

Hey everyone,
I'm new the site, so I hope this is the right area to seek some help. I'm looking for the best truck for Baja Mexico. I'm starting to spend a lot of time training down there and need a great truck for the terrain. I plan on running the 2013 Score Baja 1000 solo on a bike(I know a death wish, but I don't have kids yet).
So, I know everyone is going to say Toyota Tacoma or Tundra, but being 6'6" has it's disadvantages and just the overall feeling of the trucks handling and breaking I'm just not impressed with.
I've made up my mind, I'm going with Ford, Chevy and or GMC!
Now what I need your help with is trying to figure out what model I should get. (gas or Diesel) (150 vs 250 Ect.) I'm big fan of the F250 and Chevy 2500, but I'll be spending a lot of time on the beach and off road on rough sandy roads being chased while I ride. Also, what additions you might make the the truck to make it a better 4x4 for the terrain. I'll be honest, I'm new to the 4x4 world and have fully been bitten by the bug! I'm envious of all of the trips and pictures I see on the form. My background has been on a track in a fully caged M3, but I've retired that chapter in my life and now it's time for something a little more practical....
I'd get a raptor but I'm not spending 60k on a truck, plus I know my crew will be tempted to jump it on a daily basis with the AT attached. I don't blame them, I would.

So please put in your 10 cents on what you think the best full sized truck would be for the harsh terrain of Baja and why it would make for the best truck in baja. I'll be towing a Adventure Trailer, and with a bike in the back.

Any advise or input in MUCH appreciated!

lstzephyr

wanderer
The tried and true setups would be the best choice in my opinion. F150, Bronco, Ranger etc. Go on racedezert.com and buy a used prerunner and there you go.

kfgk14

Adventurer
An F250 with the 6.7 PSD or Dodge Cummins 6.7 2500 would be my choice. Either way, if it has to chase off-road you'd best look into some serious suspension mods, light bars, and a utility bed for it.

Clutch

<---Pass
The tried and true setups would be the best choice in my opinion. F150, Bronco, Ranger etc. Go on racedezert.com and buy a used prerunner and there you go.

very nice and well built Bronco on there right now.

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/index.php?ct=prerun&md=details&id=31962

p31962n1.jpg

Always liked the Baja F250..
http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/1211or_stealth_prerunner_1982_ford_f250_4x4/

1211or-15+not-your-grandpas-old-ford-1982-ford-f250-4x4+1982-ford-f250-4x4-powerslide.jpg

this one is prolly a "bit" out of budget though...

http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/1104or_1975_ford_f150_super_cab/viewall.html

1104or_17_+1975_ford_f150_super_cab+front_left_view.jpg

Last edited:

KK6OUD

This is a tough one, you dont want to spend 60K on a Raptor, but you will spend the same money on almost anything else that will meet your criteria. If you go 2500 diesel, the suspension and tires, plus spares and modifications to make it Baja worthy will run you close to the price of a 3-4 year old truck. Being new to trucks you need to read up on the good the bad and the ugly of the big 3 over the last few years and check a few of the diesel forum boards for the big gotchas of each potential model you are considering. Our team uses dodge and chevy diesels to chase our class 1 car. Both have been good to us, but we try to stay away from the big bad stuff. We have an 2006 Dodge 2500 CC/SB with a service bed and 5.9 cummins. The weak link here is the stock 4spd auto tranny. Simple enough to fix, just takes time and money. Our Chevy is a 2008 CC/LB drw with a service bed, and a duramax/allison combo. Great tow vehicle, super comfortable for long hours in the drivers seat. It still has all the smog crap, cat & dpf, this kills our mpg. Soon rather than later it will all be gone along with an egr block off. Of the 2 the dodge has the potential to tow and chase in Baja with a much better ride and reliability, we need to swap the tranny for a built unit, and get a kit from Carli or Kore (suspension), but we just got the truck yesterday, and it is headed to Baja tomorrow for two weeks to tow the prerunner around the southern part of this years Baja 1K course. So the mods will have to wait until it returns. To give you an idea of our most basic chase truck, we got the truck from Nebraska on Sunday at 11am, we swapped on new BFG A/T's on some method wheels. Replaced the front brakes, pulled the chrome side steps and front fender trim, washed it and hooked up the trailer to it. Today (Monday) we hauled the truck and trailer to Stewarts Race Works and dropped it off there, where it will get a kenwood 110 watt race radio installed and maybe a brake controller, if the wiring under the service bed is not to hacked up. Then along with an additional fullsize spare, and 2 additional trailer spares, 2 floor jacks, extra fuel, oil, air filter, oil filter, serp belt, lug wrench, tire plug kit, tow strap, it will then head to Mexico tomorrow (Tuesday), not the most comprehensive prep, but we got our time frame compressed as usual.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I would probably ditch the the trailer. Guy I rode with had a 1 ton with a service body, that had a lid/hatch over the bed. at the front of the bed was a trough that the wheels of two bikes would go into. Throw a RRT on the cab...no need for a trailer then.

Only picture I have of it.

2325509910093498191wQnuTt_ph.jpg

As 1599 is saying, this is your typical chase truck setup for Baja. Ones I pictured are more for play/racing than chasing.

1217.jpg

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'd get a raptor but I'm not spending 60k on a truck...

In the end, you'll be getting off cheap if you get out of it for $60k, especially if you're starting empty handed.:sombrero:

I agree with the above comments about finding a proven/used vehicle. Plenty of race teams have been selling off equipment the last few years, lots of good equipment out there.

Long range fuel tank, new tires, and at least one good spare tire, a box of spare filters/fluids/parts, radio, GPS and you're getting close to $5k before you even get the truck. I chase for a Jeepspeed team. We're about as grass roots as you can get, my team owner spent approx $25k on fees/prep/expenses for the 2010 peninsula run. Five of us in chase trucks paid most of our own way (by choice) to La Paz and back. I estimate my personal costs for prep/travel around $4K (admittedly, spent some $$$ on truck upgrades).

Look into pay for hire pit services like Baja Pits if you haven't already. They have a pit every 50 miles or so.

The only way to make a small fortune in desert racing is to start with a large fortune!:sombrero:

I'm sure you've done your research, but I just have to say it. Go chase for someone, pre run the course for a year or two, run some stateside races before you leave the start line for the Mil. Baja is unlike anything else, the first thing to catch up to amateur motorcycles are Trophy Trucks racing for the over all title...closely followed by the Class 1 guys, running like hell to beat the Trophy Trucks for the overall.

The beauty of Baja is any one can sign up and start the race. At least the 2013 race will be a loop race rather than a peninsula run.

Last edited:

YukonRob

Adventurer
... I'll be towing a Adventure Trailer, and with a bike in the back. ...

As Kermit suggested, there is a big difference between a dedicated chase truck and a truck with a bike in the back, towing a trailer. Our race team has an ecletic mix of 4wd Dodges and Fords, gas and diesel. Aside from the silt beds, I haven't found much in Baja that a nearly stock 2wd truck can't handle, so I think you'll be fine regardless of your choice. The availability of spares might tip the scale toward Ford. (That said, I drive a Tundra).

Got Beer

Observer
Kermit is onto something there with using someone else's truck. This is what someone did to my 2002 F350 at the 2004 Baja 1000. I was driving the race truck during the night. Driver got tired, drifted to the shoulder, woke up, and man-handled it back onto the highway without slowing down. Put a long bed F350 sliding sideways on the two-lane Mexico highway, and then off the opposite shoulder and then rolled.
P1030421.jpg

P1030418.jpg

The 2013 race should be a loop back to Ensenada so you don't have to worry about chasing down the entire peninsula. Bob91YJ has good advice to take to heart.

My vote is a mildly lifted (4" to 6") three-quarter ton diesel. Shell is nice so you can lock stuff down "better" than an open bed. Put the bike on a hitch mount carrier. Sleep in the shell for camping. Most of my Baja chase adventures have me sleeping in a lawn chair next to the chase truck.

You don't need a super lifted truck to chase, most of the access is fine with a 4x4 and good tires. Make sure you have good tires, they'll do much better for you than 18" of wheel travel. You do need 4-wheel drive, there is lots of loose sand and soil, plus chances of rain and mud.

Keep the stuff on the chase truck simple. Have lots of spares for the bike, basic spares for the chase, and basic food and water for the chase truck driver's. I've never had a chance to break out the BBQ or stove while chasing. Give the chasers lots of stickers to hand out to everyone. We even pass them out to the federales at check points. Take a look at racedezert.com for lots of Baja tips and stories. You and your crew will need passports.

Good luck and do it. It is a great adventure and you will have stories to tell for years when you get done.

Last edited:

Got Beer

Observer
That said. Bob91YJ's buddy has one of the baddest F150s. I lust over that thing continually. Search for "Fat City F150 Pre-runner Expo build".

Clutch

<---Pass
Kermit is onto something there with using someone else's truck. This is what someone did to my 2002 F350 at the 2004 Baja 1000. I was driving the race truck during the night. Driver got tired, drifted to the shoulder, woke up, and man-handled it back onto the highway without slowing down. Put a long bed F350 sliding sideways on the two-lane Mexico highway, and then off the opposite shoulder and then rolled.
View attachment 126339

View attachment 126340

Yikes! Hope everyone was ok after that one. Seems like that anything that could go wrong in Baja does go wrong in Baja.

On one of our trips, saw a fertilizer truck and an onion truck collide. No one was injured, the one great thing about Baja is, no one waits for a tow truck or police.
Other truckers cleared the road and got things moving again. The fertilizer ate through the paint on our rigs, the not so smart guys walked through it, it melted their shoes...it was a fricken mess.

2302632340093498191xBalnb_ph.jpg 2931563640093498191FSfHUk_ph.jpg

My vote is a mildly lifted (4" to 6") three-quarter ton diesel. Shell is nice so you can lock stuff down "better" than an open bed. Put the bike on a hitch mount carrier. Sleep in the shell for camping. Most of my Baja chase adventures have me sleeping in a lawn chair next to the chase truck.

You don't need a super lifted truck to chase, most of the access is fine with a 4x4 and good tires. Make sure you have good tires, they'll do much better for you than 18" of wheel travel. You do need 4-wheel drive, there is lots of loose sand and soil, plus chances of rain and mud.

Keep the stuff on the chase truck simple. Have lots of spares for the bike, basic spares for the chase, and basic food and water for the chase truck driver's. I've never had a chance to break out the BBQ or stove while chasing. Give the chasers lots of stickers to hand out to everyone. We even pass them out to the federales at check points. Take a look at racedezert.com for lots of Baja tips and stories. You and your crew will need passports.

Good luck and do it. It is a great adventure and you will have stories to tell for years when you get done.

Good advice, a crew cab long bed 3/4-1 ton with a topper is a great choice...can not have enough spares for down there, and you run out of room quick. Having multiple chase trucks is good too, so the crew can leap frog. All it takes is money...:ylsmoke:

Hyde

Explorer
Just a chase truck I would also vote for a newer diesel crew cab, mild lift, say a 4" but the highest quality you can find. Say pre07-08, find the weak links in the engine and truck. If you find a truck you're interested in feel free to shoot me a PM, I can line out the weak spots for you, what you will need to fix to make it reliable before a major failure happens.

If you also wanted to have some high speed fun in it, I would say a 96-older F-150 Extended cab, the TTB works in the whoops with a little work. Plus you will have the extended cab to throw your junk and a full bed for the bike parts. Just my .02

desertspeed

Adventurer
Hey everyone,
I'm new the site, so I hope this is the right area to seek some help. I'm looking for the best truck for Baja Mexico. I'm starting to spend a lot of time training down there and need a great truck for the terrain. I plan on running the 2013 Score Baja 1000 solo on a bike(I know a death wish, but I don't have kids yet).
So, I know everyone is going to say Toyota Tacoma or Tundra, but being 6'6" has it's disadvantages and just the overall feeling of the trucks handling and breaking I'm just not impressed with.
I've made up my mind, I'm going with Ford, Chevy and or GMC!
Now what I need your help with is trying to figure out what model I should get. (gas or Diesel) (150 vs 250 Ect.) I'm big fan of the F250 and Chevy 2500, but I'll be spending a lot of time on the beach and off road on rough sandy roads being chased while I ride. Also, what additions you might make the the truck to make it a better 4x4 for the terrain. I'll be honest, I'm new to the 4x4 world and have fully been bitten by the bug! I'm envious of all of the trips and pictures I see on the form. My background has been on a track in a fully caged M3, but I've retired that chapter in my life and now it's time for something a little more practical....
I'd get a raptor but I'm not spending 60k on a truck, plus I know my crew will be tempted to jump it on a daily basis with the AT attached. I don't blame them, I would.

So please put in your 10 cents on what you think the best full sized truck would be for the harsh terrain of Baja and why it would make for the best truck in baja. I'll be towing a Adventure Trailer, and with a bike in the back.

Any advise or input in MUCH appreciated!

One other idea that has not been mentioned yet- 4WD van. Ditch the trailer (trailers are always more hassle than they are worth in Baja), load the bike in the van or on a hitch carrier, and you will have plenty of room for spares etc and a place to sleep. Lots of engine options (5.4L V8, 6.8L V10, 7.3L or 6.0L diesel), and UJoint makes a great 4WD conversion kit. Check out the van forum on here.

I have been going to Baja for 20+ years and have a pretty built F150 prerunner as well, but for what you want it to do a van is awesome. I just got back from 8 days down there this week, and will take it down again for the 1000 next month

Attachments

• DSC00546 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00546 (800x600).jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00527 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00527 (800x600).jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz