Transfer photos iPhone to iPad

haven

Expedition Leader
If you're traveling, you probably will take photos, some with your phone, and others with a "real" camera. It's useful to transfer the photos to the iPad so you can take advantage of its larger screen for initial review, simple editing, and storage.

There are a number of ways to transfer photos from your iPhone to the iPad. You can use iTunes via a desktop computer. You can use iCloud. You can email photos to yourself. Or you could use an iOS app like Photo Transfer running on both iPhone and iPad, which transfers via WiFi or Bluetooth.

Here's another way: The iPad Camera Connection Kit.
-- plug in your Camera Connection kit with USB to the iPad
-- using your Apple charging cable, plug the 30 pin end into the iPhone, and the USB end into the iPad
-- launch the Photos app on the iPad
-- in 20 seconds or so, a new Tab will appear in the Photos app labeled Camera
-- Now the Photos app is treating the iPhone as if it were a camera.
-- Select the photos you want to transfer.
-- Keep an eye on the iPhone so it doesn't go to sleep and enter lock mode
-- When finished, exit the Photos app on the iPad, and disconnect the cable

Advantages of this approach
-- don't need a WiFi router or Internet access
-- transferring by cable is faster than wireless
-- you can transfer large numbers of photos in a single operation

The genuine Camera Connection Kit costs $29 from Apple. Similar devices from third parties cost as little as $3.

The Camera Connection Kit works with most digital cameras. Substitute a cable with mini or micro USB on one end (depending on which form your camera uses), and standard USB on the end that plugs into the iPad with Camera Connection Kit. Problems have been reported transferring very large photos from DSLR cameras. That won't be an issue with the iPhone's 5 or 8 megapixel photo sensor.

schwantz93

With iPad Magic, you can transfer photos, videos, music, books, etc. between iPad, iTunes and computer at ease. Moreover, it also enables you to convert audio and video files, rip CD and DVD discs, download online videos, make ringtones and more. Also, it works well on iOS 7 and iTunes 11.

Supported iOS Devices:
iPad, iPad 2, The New iPad, iPad mini, iPad with Retina display;
iPhone 3G/3GS, iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S

robgendreau

Explorer
Um, the OP mentioned that there are desktop apps that can do this; I think he posted this for those who are traveling with ONLY an iPad and iPhone and no wifi or cloud connection. I use Lightroom and a computer, if I have one, rather than pay for little iTunes-like transfer utilities. But his method is useful at times...although I noticed it's 18 months old and it's still a PITA to transfer from iPhone to iPad without a LAN or intermediary device (like a computer). Sheesh, you can't even copy TO an SD card and use sneakerNet.

Rob

WanderingBison

I can recommend PhotoSync.

Great iPad and iPhone app to transfer files from on to the other, along with your desktop system, not to mention other service/options.

I couldn't be happier I found it.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Laptop and iTunes will do this without buying additional gear, sync the phone then sync the pad. Or manually shunt files around if you prefer. But if you have a laptop with you you don't need to be using the iPad unless you want to.
But if the base idea is to only have an iPad and phone, then the OPs suggestion is the best.

Hanes

Just another variation some might consider depending on the way the travel/shoot.

My concern when traveling for a while and not having regular/easy access to my laptop is filling up the storage on my iPhone/iPad with lots of videos & photos, and being left without the ability to shoot more photos/videos - such as when traveling overseas. A nice workaround I found is to turn on auto backup to my Google + account, which of course is just a variation on the iCloud option. This happens automatically in the background without me doing anything, although it does eat up data if done on cellular rather than wifi (but you can choose to have the backups only happen when connected to wifi if you prefer). This isn't an issue for me as I have unlimited cellular data.

I just verify that the videos/photos have, indeed, actually made their way to the cloud on G+, then I can delete them on the limited capacity iPhone/iPad and shoot more. You can have the photos upload at full original resolution, as long as you have sufficient cloud capacity, which depending on your needs might require some $, which is what I do when I want full resolution for later editing/use. Alternatively, you can opt to upload at "normal" (not full resolution) res for free, unlimited space.

I should note that even though I only really use this method when I am traveling and need to travel light, this is a handy back up system at other times, just as another (perhaps redundant) automatic back up copy of photos/videos. Having lost photos before to hard drive failures, I now go for the proverbial "belt and suspenders" approach. Hard to have too many copies of important work.

stas301

Why not using iCloud to transfer the photos? It's a convenient thing to take photo with iPhone. But it's much better to show off photos to your families or friends by using iPad. Since iPad, or iPad Air has larger screen, more resolution pixel and better retina display, significantly it is an excellent photo viewer. But here is the problem, How to transfer or copy photos from iPhone to iPad?

There are a lot of ways to approach it, but the most straightforward one would be copy them with a professional photo transfer - Phone Transfer. Phone Transfer is a data transfer designed for files transfer between different mobile devices includes iPhone 6 Plus/6/5s/5c, iPad Air 2, iPad 4/3, iPad Mini 3/2/1, iPod touch 5/4. With it, you can easily move photos, pictures and other images between any iOS devices.

To fulfill your need on photo transferring, you need to download the transfer tool below. Click the buttons below to download the software depends on your computer operation system.

Last edited:

seeNik48

Adventurer
Similar to iStick is the Sandisk iXpand in 32, 64 and 128 gb. It, too, has a Lightning connector. $70 for 64 gb at Amazon.

martinpole

Hello, you can use iPhone Transfer. This is a professional but very easy-to-use tool from RecoveryAndroid. You jsut need to connect your iPhone & iPad to computer and run the program, then you will be able to transfer photos from iPhone to iPad with a click of mouse.
Hope this will help you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94