To Drawers or not to Drawers

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
My thought is...

Doing weekend to 1-2 week trips: No drawers for versatility for different sized cargo

Doing a 6 month or longer trip: Drawers for convenience of not having to constantly shuffle items around as much

Clutch

<---Pass
Rallyroo said:
Doing a 6 month or longer trip: Drawers for convenience of not having to constantly shuffle items around as much

I dunno, Tom Sheppard would disagree...:ylsmoke:

Tom_Sheppard_ (8).jpg

TheDriver

Observer
I had this same decision to make in my JKU and ended up with an ikea foam mattress trimmed to fit the flat floor (back seat gone, Kilby floor in). The storage (in bins) is on a tuffy security deck that our legs slide under. Still working on roof netting and some molle bags for handy stuff inside but its worked out great so far. Stealthy, instant camp setup and tear down, warm, dry and more comfy than the bed at home. As a bonus we can camp south of here where brown bear incidents have made tents a bad idea. We like the headroom of having the bed as low as possible with the storage over our legs and accessible from inside and the rear gate. Firewood, tools and other gear go on the gobi roof rack.

Last edited:

Chuy

I say double yes. You can carry way more gear safely and neatly. It makes access to everything way more convenient. You can get ARB Outback drawers that work perfect as a fridge slide. I can carry every tool I need and don't need to repair almost anything in the field. I have my Puma air tank on the right side of the drawer with the compressor mounted on top. I keep all of the common light stuff on the left wing. In the drawers one side holds all of my heavy tools and the other holds all of my camp gear, 2 Pico chairs, Med kit, shovel, axe, saw, etc. The drawers are rattle free after about 2 years of wheeling, and slide like butter every time. Everything you see scattered around fits neatly inside the drawers with extra space. There is also still a little room behind the 2nd row to add an amp, or water storage. For me the system works great but I also go a lot of places and really don't wheel in large groups. Im usually that person that has the tools you left at home. Wil at Sierra Expedition sells them and he also has the system in his 80.

Attachments

• IMAG0370.jpg
    IMAG0370.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAG0179.jpg
    IMAG0179.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 156

mph

Expedition Leader
Love my drawers...home built...with the fridge enclosed...make things so convenient...

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I went without drawers for about 10years... and going on trips for more than 2-3 weeks at a time, having to set up almost every night got old fast.
I fabbed my own drawers.. yes they are heavy and not cheap but the beauty of pulling a 42" drawer and have the kitchen and dry food ready at hand is awesome.
I can sleep inside the rig if needed to and I still get to keep my rear seat fully functional.....
I usually travel alone (one rig) so having most tools & spares with me is a must........
About the only thing that I dont like on my set up is the extra weight which in turn makes my MPG even worse but I have learned to not think about it too much....

I guess some of us can do more with less and vise versa.....
More power to you if you can do without drawers........ !!
Cheers....

dcoy

Adventurer
Love my drawers

In this election season, I cast another "Yes" vote for drawers. I find that when traveling/camping, the greatest frustration is dealing with logistics and keeping organized. The drawers help with this tremendously, improving packing efficiency and use of space. I have the AT drawers and the Platinum drop slide for my fridge (necessary, in my opinion, when the fridge sits on a drawer). The AT drawers are more expensive than some options (certainly more than DIY), but the composite material weighs signficantly less, which I think is key. I also have the Frontrunner water tank sitting in front of the drawers with the back seats up.

LCdrawers.jpg

Last edited:

Surfy

Adventurer
When you dont have kids, and not need the rear of the car - you can do drawers and above a inside sleeping platform.

But when you go shopping, or Hotel travels - where you want to carry some suitcases - then you have to fix them above.

Since i have the sleeping plattform we usually go shopping with the car of my girlfriend :coffee:

Fridge & Freezer 15l Boxes
innen1.jpg

Drawers
innen2.jpg

Watertank
DSC_0261.jpeg

Shower (Hot/Cold)
IMG_1203.JPG

I dont have a better picture of the sleeping area
IMG_1210.JPG

Thats a great setup for traveling - for me sufficient as daily driver - but it is clearly limited.

You find more pictures in my blog (signature).

Surfy

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I dunno, Tom Sheppard would disagree...:ylsmoke:

He would also disagree on winches, roof top tents, and roof racks. He is the epitome of simplicity where less is more.

I take some of his suggestions/comments/advice from his book into consideration before I make my own decisions.

Clutch

<---Pass
He would also disagree on winches, roof top tents, and roof racks. He is the epitome of simplicity where less is more.

I take some of his suggestions/comments/advice from his book into consideration before I make my own decisions.

I like his method of keeping it simple, extremely simple at that.

I camp off the motorcycle quite a bit, I could quite literally fit all my camping needs onto the passenger seat of my caged vehicle. If you camp like
back packer, a vehicle the size of an 80, 4Runner, Tacoma...almost seems excessive. If you know what I mean.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I like his method of keeping it simple, extremely simple at that.

I camp off the motorcycle quite a bit, I could quite literally fit all my camping needs onto the passenger seat of my caged vehicle. If you camp like
back packer, a vehicle the size of an 80, 4Runner, Tacoma...almost seems excessive. If you know what I mean.

I know what you mean. I started off as a backpacker (I still do) so I know how to pack light. I'm not an ultralight backpacker, but would consider myself a light packer. I would normally sleep outside with no tent and many times in the snow without a tent. No roof rack or roof top tent for me.

p nut

butter
...If you camp like

Let's just clarify--you're talking about solo outings, right? I'm an ultralight backpacker and my ULA pack weighs at or below 20 lbs for a week long campout. However, traveling with family with young kids, "minimalist" philosophy kind of goes out the window. When the wife and kids come, I need just about every sq inch of the Cruiser. With another kid coming, I've got a trailer build brewing in my head.

Clutch

<---Pass
Let's just clarify--you're talking about solo outings, right? I'm an ultralight backpacker and my ULA pack weighs at or below 20 lbs for a week long campout. However, traveling with family with young kids, "minimalist" philosophy kind of goes out the window. When the wife and kids come, I need just about every sq inch of the Cruiser. With another kid coming, I've got a trailer build brewing in my head.

Yes, solo or with my girlfriend...we have no chilled-wrens...:D

Even with just two of us, all gear fits in the extra cab portion of the Taco. That is just camping, no other sports equipment with us. I have been just camping a lot lately, amazing how much I have downsized over the years...and don't want to deal with a lot of stuff any more.

However...if we bring the dirt bikes/mountain bikes that is another story...truck is filled to the brim. Moto gear bags, and spare parts for the bikes, takes up a lot of room. That is when I could use a fullsize truck with an 8' bed.

Last edited:

Vahmoose

Ultrahiker
Nice set up!
I've been looking at these A.T. drawers vs. ARBs for my 80 series Land Cruiser. I like the weight (and composite material+Line-X) of A.T.s, but I like the larger size (41L x 11h x 21w) of the ARBs.
Did you consider the ARBs? Any complaints with your A.T.s?
Is your Platinum drop slide a TemboTusk Loadspotter?
Thanks for your post, and your help!

dcoy

Adventurer
Nice set up!
I've been looking at these A.T. drawers vs. ARBs for my 80 series Land Cruiser. I like the weight (and composite material+Line-X) of A.T.s, but I like the larger size (41L x 11h x 21w) of the ARBs.
Did you consider the ARBs? Any complaints with your A.T.s?
Is your Platinum drop slide a TemboTusk Loadspotter?
Thanks for your post, and your help!

I'll admit that I focused on the AT system partly because of my good experience with Mario and Martyn and the proximity (just down the road) of their shop that made the install handy and eliminated the need for shipping. They do have a variety of sizes, although you might be looking for some larger options. There are Custom options available as well. The Overland Joural 2012 Gear Guide reviewed drawer systems and both ARB and AT ranked the highest. Check it out if can get ahold of it. The ATs have worked well for me; no problems at all. The drop slide is similar to the Tembo Tusk but is made in Australia and sold by Slee and AT as well. I think they function similarly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior