To Drawers or not to Drawers

Vahmoose

Ultrahiker
Thank you for the info. I started my search with the Overland Journal [Thanks!] (love the testing procedures/comparisons and.... honesty!), and I've found that my requirements and standards are the same. When I pull the trigger (soon!) on either the ATs or ARBs (and drop slide), I'll post it. Thanks again for your help!

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Here's a reason why I can't get drawers. To carry 8 scuba tanks along with the rest of the scuba gear.
06TDb.jpg

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Here's a reason why I can't get drawers. To carry 8 scuba tanks along with the rest of the scuba gear.
06TDb.jpg
Looking that the empty/wasted space on top...... you could totally put a nice set of drawers on the bottom.... a little rearrange of gear and you'll be good to go.....

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Although I have drawers, I really think the best setup in an FZJ80 is a platform with bins underneath. If you build a platform just above the fender wells, you get more flat storage space AND it creates a nice sleeping platform with the second row folded down.

Underneath that you can store however you want. I built drawers, but frankly, drawers take up storage space. If I had been able to find bins that efficiently used the space underneath, I would have gone that route. It's simpler, cheaper, and I think it probably works better.

What I really like about having the storage system is that the stuff I carry everyday (tools, compressor, tow straps, fluids, etc) are all securely stored out of the way. I'm still left with the entire cargo floor area to load as I please and I now have extra tie downs. Before, I had all my stuff in a large ActionPacker. Storing that between the wheel wells really cuts into the storage area. Moreover, I always had it tied down for safety as I really didn't want all my heavy crap flying around in an accident with two kids in the car.

bj70_guy

Adventurer
When I started building my BJ74, the drawer set up was the first mod. Once it was in I had a place to mount my 3rd battery, a 10" sub, two 6" mids, the compressor for the ARBs, the Puma, the sub amp...

I love having all my tools, recovery gear, parts, spare fluids etc safely stowed away. Even with a fridge in the back I've been able to sleep back there too. Put me in the pro-drawers camp ;)

3569668700_7bf9fc2198_z.jpg

carbon60

Explorer
Thread revived!

I have not done anything with my truck's storage, after all this time.

A platform with bins is probably less efficient than drawers, no?

java

Expedition Leader
I like my set up. I have a small drawer, which holds all our regular small camping stuff, guy ropes, stakes, bug spray etc, and the other half is just a cubby. Plastic boxes fit in that side, hold my tire chains, emergency food and water, stove, compressor shvel etc. its plywood, but the top is the old solid piece, all the sides and bottom have the majority cut out. Box and drawer are probaly 50-75lbs

carbon60

Explorer
sure you have. you saved 1200 bucks and didnt lug an extra 150 pounds around.

Haha, good point.

I do need something, as I now have a fridge and space is getting tight. A platform is probably the smart move, since it will be pretty cheap.

A.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne