Drawers1_zpsd99581aa.jpg

the left one is for camping, cooking and first aid
Leftdrawers_zps0b2944d6.jpg

the right is for tools and recovery equipment
rightdrawers_zps761ba3d4.jpg

This looks fantastic!

rc51kid

Adventurer
I see that you already decided no drawers. My opinion is based around if you are going to be sleeping in the truck. If you are the you should build a platform above the wheel wells. How high above the wheel trades sleeping/sitting space for storage space. I built a super light and simple platform and left it all open below. I am very happy to have a huge amount of flexibility. It it simpler, lighter, cheaper and more space with out drawers. I think the best option is a platform but no drawers.

eloist

Adventurer
Is it possible to have two drawers only on one side?

I'm struggling with drawers or not in my LR3, and we have a 90lb bluetick who rides in the back.
With the drivers side back seat down she has a walkway to move around. I would love to have two drawers stacked on the passenger side.

/not trying to thread jack, sorry, and wow, just realized how old this thread is haha!

carbon60

Explorer

I'm struggling with drawers or not in my LR3, and we have a 90lb bluetick who rides in the back.
With the drivers side back seat down she has a walkway to move around. I would love to have two drawers stacked on the passenger side.

/not trying to thread jack, sorry, and wow, just realized how old this thread is haha!

I've yet to build my solution. :(

Leaning towards a platform without drawers, though.

Dazrin

Adventurer

Yes you can do that. Check out the "post up your drawer/storage systems" thread in the Storage Solutions sub-forum for more options than you would have thought possible.

Cutrex

A hybrid contribution from my HDJ 80. I dislike drawers for the weight, but appreciate an organized cargo. While thinking (endlessly) on a final design, I have come to this solution that is being very functional in my Saharan trips and does not prevent further building up. It consists of a continuous platform made of 15 mm marine plywood, with attached foldable rings at convenient locations. It is mounted (polyurethane + screws) on four longitudinal cleats made of 13 mm pine. The extra thickness allows installing downward (for attachment to the factory holes) and upward (for attaching the foldable rings) 6 mm bolts in a recess so that they are flush with the surface.

014bis.jpg

The 3 EuroBoxes ahead (one hidden by the fridge) contain basic mechanical, camping and food supplies. The small rack is made of folded and welded 3 mm aluminium. A folded 60 x 60 cm camping table stores below, while luggage is tied on top to (barely visible) eyebolts. A portable compressor travels tied together with the utility water jug on the left side. A proper water jerrycan fits besides the fridge. The whole arrangement can be changed as necessary, and is very mall-friendly during the daily life.

Cheers,

Cutrex

Last edited:

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Is there a build thread or more pics of the drawer setup?
Here, but just pics....

What clearance did you have underneath them to add the slide out table?
About 1" to 1.5"
What thickness /gauge is the material?
3/16" 5052 aluminum

Did you just weld up some "L" channel as the support for the pullout table?
On the pics posted on the link ... I used lower case "h" extruded aluminum for the slide.. it works great !!
On the pic below I used "L" channels...
Does it stick, get the grey dust from the aluminum?
Dont know what you mean by that... the 5052 aluminum stays clean for the most part and needs only minimal wiping... the drawers were painted white on the inside....

Do you support the end of the slide out table with anything? or supported underneath with relief bends, or bent sides, or additional welded material on the underside?

I use a hiking pole (try to use equipment that I already have (double duty) as supposed to use a dedicated item) when Im cooking for 4 or more peoples..but usually I dont need to support it....

Why would you go bearings vs the slides now?
Weight savings... the slides with lockouts are great, but heavy...... Last year I decided to get rid of one drawer and drop the fridge in there permanently fixed... and added a second slide with "L" channel...
20170725_144511~2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior