To Drawers or not to Drawers

Mauka2Makai

Explorer
If you don't have drawers take a moment and think... Is it worth the time to build? Is it worth the excess constant weight? Is it worth and do you really have that extra cash to build or buy the set of new drawers? These were questions I struggled with trying to justify a built or bought set of drawers. What I opted for and ended up working out really well was for storage containers. I used wolf pack boxes for specific items such as kitchen / recovery etc. and found this system was a very economical and effective alternative to a permanent storage system. I will consider a fridge slide and deck platform in the future, but drawers will not be needed.
I'm sure a nice set of Drawers are useful though, are they necessary? No. My opinion.

zimm

Expedition Leader
ive been thinking no drawers, but a sliding platform may be the ticket if you have a tailgate/hatch as opposed to doors.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
ive been thinking no drawers, but a sliding platform may be the ticket if you have a tailgate/hatch as opposed to doors.

When I first though of drawers, I often thought about a sliding platform... I still do....

Reason I went with drawers and every other modification on my rig is cause of the sheer joy I get from working and building things for it... If I was to do it again I would seriously consider bearings instead of sliders and a sliding platform instead of drawers... with that said... I love everything about them specially the welds at the front...

IMAG0536.jpg

dcoy

Adventurer
When I first though of drawers, I often thought about a sliding platform... I still do....

Reason I went with drawers and every other modification on my rig is cause of the sheer joy I get from working and building things for it... If I was to do it again I would seriously consider bearings instead of sliders and a sliding platform instead of drawers... with that said... I love everything about them specially the welds at the front...

IMAG0536.jpg

Awesome setup (sure it's been said to the nth degree before).

pcut

Adventurer
Not to drawers is my vote. I bought the ARB drawer set-up( the RD 1045 double drawer version), partially because I like the idea of having the drawers to hold stuff in permanently and partially to try sleeping in the vehicle( the drawers match the height of the folded down rear seats and make a good platform to put the Exped Mega Mat on). First I have to say that the ARB drawers are super well built and designed. No rattles, creaks or noises. Bomber construction. Having used them for the summer, I am now going to sell them. First of all, I/we don't like sleeping in the vehicle- too confining and no room for the dog. Secondly, keeping all the heavy recovery gear etc. on a permanent basis was not a really good idea because of hauling all the weight around all the time. Thirdly because the added height of the drawers makes it difficult for me, at 5'8" to reach items that are located up against the rear seat. My wife, at 5'2" needs a step stool to reach these items. For us its a close call, but we decided we like the all around utility of the stock space better than with the drawers.

landsharkman

Adventurer
Thirdly because the added height of the drawers makes it difficult for me, at 5'8" to reach items that are located up against the rear seat. My wife, at 5'2" needs a step stool to reach these items.

for those item I just access them by folding down the backseat

carbon60

Explorer
Secondly, keeping all the heavy recovery gear etc. on a permanent basis was not a really good idea because of hauling all the weight around all the time. Thirdly because the added height of the drawers makes it difficult for me, at 5'8" to reach items that are located up against the rear seat. My wife, at 5'2" needs a step stool to reach these items. For us its a close call, but we decided we like the all around utility of the stock space better than with the drawers.

Really good commentary, thank you.

In our case, I'm 5'11: and my lady is 5'. But we live in a small downtown condo and thus *all* our gear lives in our truck, permanently. Including the heavy recovery gear. And she already must climb up into the back of the truck to get at just about anything at all. I know the fridge is going to be a problem, but I don't see a solution.

We do not sleep in the truck. Though I would like to have that as a backup option…

I would also like to replace the left hand second row seat with a continuation of the storage system, so maybe a custom job from AT is the way to go.

Too many options…

A.

fireball

Explorer
I keep my recovery gear in an ARB bag inside the long pass. side drawer with the heavy duty slides. This works great as it is easily removable. If I'm by myself or think I might need the gear I usually throw it in the 2nd row footwell. You usually want your gear in a bag anyway and not loose inside the truck or inside a drawer as I'm usually hauling it 100 feet, uphill, in the mud, when I need to use it!

Have our fridge, water, tools, camping gear and cook gear all easily and quickly assessable makes family trips so much nicer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz