To Drawers or not to Drawers

carbon60

Explorer
Background: I'm the proud owner of a '96 FJZ80, recently acquired. The use for this vehicle is to go out on a three-day adventure in the Canadian Shield once a month with maybe two to three 1-2 week trips per year. Tons of forestry roads all over Quebec that are within a few hours drive of our home base. For the next 18-24 months, it will be my girlfriend and I. Eventually, we'll want to bring along our son as well. I am 6' and my partner is 5'. 90% of the required gear is going to live in this truck year-round, waiting for us to get in a go. It isn't a DD and we live in a condo with storage constraints.

For now, I've completely removed the second and third row seats. Last weekend, we took it out for our first trip: two nights in La Verandrye wildlife reserve. We had a fantastic time and slept inside the truck, which was very pleasant and roomy with all our gear sitting outside in Rubbermaid Roughneck bins.

On to my question: installing a drawer system to better organize our gear seemed really wise before this trip. But now, after realizing how nice it is to sit up inside the truck (she can even stand to change), I'm thinking this may not be such a good idea. I'm wondering if I should instead find some quality rain-proof bins and devise a quick system to secure them inside the truck. Then we would simply pull all of them out, probably use them as outdoor furniture and sleep in the truck.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

A.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I personally don't like drawers after seeing how much room they take up...the commercial ones are big $$$...not worth it IMO ( but I am a cheap SOB)...I could build a set of suitable ones but the quality hardware is also pricey...

I also leave all my rear seats out of the truck (95LC) creating a much more usable space to sleep...store bikes upright...etc...

I am probably just going to make a loading floor in order to make tying down items easier...

I am probably the minority especially in this forum but I have definitely moved toward...less is more...I don't really need that much *******...sleeping bag...cube cooler...and backpacking stove...so much easier

Clutch

<---Pass
I am probably the minority especially in this forum but I have definitely moved toward...less is more...I don't really need that much *******...sleeping bag...cube cooler...and backpacking stove...so much easier

I am with Flagster...it is amazing how much you don't need. My vehicle is used for a multitude of things, nice not to have a storage
bolted down.

Klierslc

Explorer
I definitely agree that the space taken up by drawers is precious.... just one thing to add--a queen sized airbed or pad will fit nicely above the wheel wells, between them, not so much. I like having a platform to store bins underneath and it is very cheap to make...

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I definitely agree that the space taken up by drawers is precious.... just one thing to add--a queen sized airbed or pad will fit nicely above the wheel wells, between them, not so much. I like having a platform to store bins underneath and it is very cheap to make...

Good point...I have considered a platform above the wheel wells and sliding in some rubbermade bins but then some of my bikes won't slide in without messing with the seatpost...

I think some of the pics of the aluminum pop top camper being produced for the LC has some nice views of a custom floor with tie downs/etc

carbon60

Explorer
just one thing to add--a queen sized airbed or pad will fit nicely above the wheel wells, between them, not so much.

We used a pair of really wide MEC self-inflating pads that velcro together. They don't quite fit between the wheel wells, but the couple inches that end up sort of going up the side keep it comfortable.

A.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I chose not to build drawers but rather a floor with tie downs that made a level space in my 4runner. Check it out here. My wife and I have enjoyed sleeping the back with the extra head room. When I'm by myself it works well with the fridge as well.

4runner30.jpg

4runner32.jpg

p nut

butter
I was just in Canadian Tire looking at them. Which size do you use and how do they fit into the rear of the truck?

A.

Variety of sizes between 8 - 48 gal. That's the great thing about these, is that you can use how many you need for the trip. Also, they are great for storing dirty, wet clothes/shoes. I use the cargo tie downs to keep them from shifting.

Desert Dan

Explorer
No Drawers allows me the most versatility for day to day use.

A low platform with storage underneath for sleeping would be nice on trips so you wouldn't have to unload everything to sleep inside.

Attachments

• IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1654.jpg
    IMG_1654.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 100

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
In my situation, I needed my 2nd row seats but I hated the drawers. I ended up building a platform that was a low as I could get it and still sleep across the folded down middle seat. It worked perfect! I'm planning on building another one for my 100-Series

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Seems like some of the purdy alu boxes equipt is selling right now would fit nicely under a platform that is wheel well high...but then again so would a box from big lots:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier