Show your leveling jacks

rarecj8

Observer
Overland trailer near ready and debating different ways to level out the tub side to side. Will use the tongue jack for front to rear leveling. Looking at swing down, scissor and vertical crank. Maybe permanently attached or temp pinned in place then stowed inside. Show what you have please to inspire my build. thanks!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like the way GregB fab the mounts on his trailer.
Works very good and a simple design.

Attachments

• 4570ff03.jpg
    4570ff03.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 09a746c0.jpg
    09a746c0.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 141
  • d32f5f07.jpg
    d32f5f07.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 139

rarecj8

Observer
thanks-- saw that. plan for that, if i go that way, is to cut the crank at the bend and weld on a big nut-- then all it takes is the cordless impact gun to adjust. Problem for me is the mounting nippleis not protectedd and will get torn off or deformed by rocks or trees... so still looking. plan is to attach behind the tires, not in front.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I carry swing down jacks and bolt on if needed (maybe 5 mins). Most of the time I leave the trailer hooked up for ease and disconnect from the hitch for day outings and reconnect for the night.

rarecj8

Observer
Suspension/Leveling system vid

i like the trailing arm/air bag deal. sadly, i'm too deep into the project with leaf springs, shocks, bump stops, etc. The trailer suspension is SUPER flexy to tackle trails like rubicon and fordyce, which it has already proven itself. Some just drive on a rock or block of wood to level out trailer, but with a soft suspension, the tub still rocks, so must support the trailer frame and let the suspension just hang.

Here is what we're dealing with:

in pack mule mode going camping
IMG_5314.jpg

bumshot
IMG_5313.jpg

IMG_5310.jpg

Frontal view
IMG_5309.jpg

Base frame for the tent coming from www.3dogcampingusa.com
IMG_6012.jpg

in long-haul desert mode prior to being rino coated
IMG_4309.jpg

Jeff Dodgen

Explorer
Just thinking out loud, but why not make just the RTT adjustable? This could be accomplished by just drilling a series of holes on each leg of the platform. When you park the trailer, pull the pin and raise/lower to desired height, then re-install the pin. Get you some of those stick on levelers for campers and put on the side. Cheap and easy.

Fresno

Adventurer
In my case, adjusting the RTT bars would require adjesting my 3 bars. Even though the tent would be level, the trailer would not. I don't know how a slide out would be effected. I use two rear support legs and then crank up the front jack.

Woods, your system is very quick, an elegant design. I don't know why RV and commercial trailers don't use that, vs on board jacks. You should patent that.

Last edited:

rarecj8

Observer
Just thinking out loud, but why not make just the RTT adjustable? This could be accomplished by just drilling a series of holes on each leg of the platform. When you park the trailer, pull the pin and raise/lower to desired height, then re-install the pin. Get you some of those stick on levelers for campers and put on the side. Cheap and easy.

good idea, however, remember the leaf springs are really flexy and under your idea tent/tub still supported by suspension. We want to avoid side to side rocking (other than honey time LOL!) with the goal the tub itself is supported by jacks so its all solid and stable. Does this make sense?

Woods

Explorer
Afraid I stole ideas from others, on this one.

Check this out:

In my case, adjusting the RTT bars would require adjesting my 3 bars. Even though the tent would be level, the trailer would not. I don't know how a slide out would be effected. I use two rear support legs and then crank up the front jack.

Woods, your system is very quick, an elegant design. I don't know why RV and commercial trailers don't use that, vs on board jacks. You should patent that.

toymaster

Explorer
Some just drive on a rock or block of wood to level out trailer, but with a soft suspension, the tub still rocks, so must support the trailer frame and let....]

I am in the block of wood camp due to my 3,500lb springs and a trailer that max gets 1,100lbs. Have you thought of adding some airbags between the frame and springs? This would allow you to not only stiffen up the suspension when desired but also adjust one side for leveling purposes. I am sure an excellent rig such as yours has OBA. The hybrid system is a thought and airbags are not that expensive now. It will weigh less and may be less hassle.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
On my previous trailer I used this set of drop leg jacks. Worked well because the suspension was very soft and would rock like crazy (a bad thing when your tent is staked to the ground). Besides, it bothers me to sleep on something not level and this setup makes it a breeze to get perfect. I've even added a level gauge on the front and back of both trailers to make sure it's spot on. I tend to go for the luxury glamping in my trailers though, not the rock crawling variety of M101 or M416.

img_5324.jpg

I've re-used the same leveling jacks on my new trailer, just switched to a 2" tube instead of the normal round attachment. Still work like a charm. I still need to add a rock slider type rail around the trailer that will tie the brackets into the frame and make them less likely to snag on trees. The site below was on a pretty good grade and made me happy I used the nicer jack on the front as the tongue of the trailer was above 4' to make things level out.

photobucket-4210-1350508530660.jpg

photobucket-1354-1350508493819.jpg

Don

-

Last edited:

Jevy

Adventurer
I know mine are overkill but I put a drop leg jack on all four corners. It's still a work in progress.

2012-10-14173105.jpg

brianwj

Observer
I just added this one to stop my trailer from tipping while unloading. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350523856.905893.jpg
I pull a pin and store it like this. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350524075.977914.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles