What airbag to use for a light trailer?

ert01

Adventurer
I know AT uses the Firestone 6781 bags on their trailers and that seems to be the common response but I really doubt I will need that much load capacity.

The spindles I'm using are 1250lb each.

This trailer will be 4'x6 flat deck (not enclosed or even walls, just for hauling random everyday stuff... Kayaks, quad, bikes, tree clippings etc... I already made a trailer for my offroad adventures. This one is simply a small utility trailer but I wanted to have some fun with the suspension which is why I'm going with airbags and shocks and trailing arms. Solid axle and leaf springs are too boring.

I am thinking 500-600lbs load capacity maximum. Plus the weight of the frame and deck (1.5x1.5x0.125 square tubefor the frame and 3/4" plywood deck).

Is there a lighter weight capacity airbag that other people have used with luck in a smaller application such as this ?

The whole reasoning is that my father-in-law has one of those dinky tin rattly bouncy utility trailers that home depot sells...I have often borrowed it for small odds and ends and I figured it's time I build him something quite a bit nicer. He tows his with his Corolla which is why I want to keep this thing small and light. The size and light weight of his trailer is handy, but both him and I hate everything else about it.

Thanks in advance!

Woods

Explorer
Look at Airlift, Slam Specialties and Firestone. Most of the bags your looking at will be 2500 lb. bags. You'll be better served with a smaller diameter bag. It will provide better action on a light weight trailer. I'd stick with conveluted type. Slam specialties has a 5" bag, the I'd guess is your best bet LINK You're not looking for "Flex" in a trailer. You're looking for bump control. Flex in a trailer is only used for leveling.

The shocks that you use are more important. I use EMPI Volkswagen Bug front shocks and they ride very well. My trailer empty is under 500 lbs. Empty or loaded to 900 lbs. it rides great. I have a set of shocks if you need them. Would part with them for $15 each and some shipping.

ert01

Adventurer
Shocks should dampen the bounce if they're properly matched.

Anything should be better then the 12" tires and 1' long leaf "springs" that are currently on his trailer...

Thanks for the info Woods! I had spent some time on the Firestone site but there was a LOT of stuff to sift through. I'll look into those SLAM ones...

As for shocks, what are the extended and compressed lengths of those EMPI's? And what sort of mounting is needed? Just 1/2" studs top and bottom?

Woods

Explorer
Shocks are 9.75" to 14.75" center of mount to center of mount.

157.jpg

Shocks should dampen the bounce if they're properly matched.

Anything should be better then the 12" tires and 1' long leaf "springs" that are currently on his trailer...

Thanks for the info Woods! I had spent some time on the Firestone site but there was a LOT of stuff to sift through. I'll look into those SLAM ones...

As for shocks, what are the extended and compressed lengths of those EMPI's? And what sort of mounting is needed? Just 1/2" studs top and bottom?

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Have you looked into the Timbren Axle-Less setups?

http://www.timbren.com/axle-less1.htm

I have a friend on here who uses them...followed him up 50KM of FSR at speed. They perform VERY well, that trailer was planted, no hop, no sway, like a rock and very smooth, and that FSR wasnt!

ert01

Adventurer
Isn't that essentially a bolt-on trailing arm/air bag setup?

Neat, but I'd rather build it than buy it. Half the fun is in the design and execution.

Woods

Explorer
It's not air bags. It's a formed rubber bag that provides a spring action. They seem to work very well. They are not adjustable though.

AT has a complete bolt-on airbag frame system.

Isn't that essentially a bolt-on trailing arm/air bag setup?

Neat, but I'd rather build it than buy it. Half the fun is in the design and execution.

bobholthaus

Observer
I asked AT about 3 months ago if they would sell me a suspension system and they said no. Does anyone know where we can get plans for this type of setup? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94