Truck and Hiking GPS needed

My trusty old Garmin 2720 (yeah google that) finally bit the bullet this weekend and my previously reliable Garmin V doesn't fit my needs any longer.

What I'm looking for is a GPS that works well in the truck and on the trail (hiking and 4x4). I'd like topo capabilities, turn by turn navigation, ability to upload the various types of files .gpx and .kml(?). And, I'd prefer to spend $200 or less. I'm ok with, new, refurbished or used units

Any recommendations?

stioc

Expedition Leader
I started a similar thread here and while initially I was leaning towards the inexpensive etrex-20/30 I ended up using MotionX app on my iPhone and the iPad.

If you have one of these devices (iPad Mini is coming out too) read Rob's page on the comparison and the advantages of going this route. While it doesn't have preloaded Topo maps like with a Garmin you can download and save them as needed. I used mine for a 1-mile test hike recently with the 'tracking' option and I was able to navigate back using the same exact route I took on the way up. While it's not perfect, nothing is, it cost me $3 for the iPad version and $2 for the iPhone version. The former is better, the latter is compact and something I have with me any way.

jessejman

Adventurer
Haven't tried the tablet approach yet and I'm interested but I needed something more durable.

I bought a Garmin 60Cs for dualsport and our offroad trip across the country this past summer. It worked great for that and works on the bike. I got it from Fleabay for $150.

I'm a cheapskate and all the software I use is free:
I use googlemaps or Gpsies.com to make routes and then plug them into the device using Basecamp. Basecamp is a free Garmin program. I get free topo maps from Gpsfiledepot.com though I try to chip something in every once in a while as they save me so much money.

I've considered the going with a windows based tablet or similar. I've also considered using my cell phone, but A) it gets poor coverage and GPS sucks on it (motorola android based phone). May upgrade to Iphone one day...

I'm just not sure how versatile that'd be.

Haven't tried the tablet approach yet and I'm interested but I needed something more durable.

I bought a Garmin 60Cs for dualsport and our offroad trip across the country this past summer. It worked great for that and works on the bike. I got it from Fleabay for $150.

I'm a cheapskate and all the software I use is free:
I use googlemaps or Gpsies.com to make routes and then plug them into the device using Basecamp. Basecamp is a free Garmin program. I get free topo maps from Gpsfiledepot.com though I try to chip something in every once in a while as they save me so much money.

Jesse, how does this one do for hwy navigation? Does it have most hwys stored on it for North America? Do you have to download maps w/ trails ahead of time? Something that I like about the Nuvi series and my old Garmin 2720, is that they even have a lot of forest service roads in Arkansas and such.The 60 series Garmin units were on my list to research.

For hwy and forest service road navigation, we primarily rely on paper maps with the GPS being used as reference to confirm location. I'd like to hear you input on this unit from this perspective also.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier