Trailer Security advice

teotwaki

Excelsior!

Some of their products rely on a 2.4GHz RF identification scheme that uses antenna-tranmitter-receivers along major highways. Some of them seem to rely on cellular coverage. The writeups seem to be deliberately vague but you would want something like a SPOT tracker transmitting updates every ten minutes. SPOT or something similar might be cheaper and it uses a satellite uplink so no dependencies on spotty cell coverage or antennas that are only on major highways

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I like the spot idea but how would you turn it on or just leave it on while away.
Some of their products rely on a 2.4GHz RF identification scheme that uses antenna-tranmitter-receivers along major highways. Some of them seem to rely on cellular coverage. The writeups seem to be deliberately vague but you would want something like a SPOT tracker transmitting updates every ten minutes. SPOT or something similar might be cheaper and it uses a satellite uplink so no dependencies on spotty cell coverage or antennas that are only on major highways

G_fresh

Adventurer
I don't have my trailer yet. So, these are just thoughts at this point:

1. For base camp, rig up the electric brakes to always be on. Maybe this can be accomplished electrically or mechanically?

2. If needing to "ditch" the trailer in a questionable area, take the wheels with you?

SmokeSlayer

I forgot about the SPOT thats a way better idea and a bit cheaper.

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Would any of those pet tracking products work? The batts last a week on the collar units, and you can track them with your phone.

Just hide it in your trailer and relax. You can check it any time, and you even get a message if it moves out of a designated area.

http://www.pettracker.com/

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Pick up a cheap (under $10) shotgun case. Leave it, and a 1/2 box of shells on the table.

Can about guarantee that 98% of would be thieves, aren't going to mess with anything, if they think someone may be walking back into camp with a loaded shotty at hand!!

I take the general precautions, lock the tongue, cable through a wheel/around the axle, and lock the lid.

I usually use my M416 w/RTT as 'Base Camp', and am gone from it for most of the daylight hours.

Luckily, I have never had a problem.**

I do tend to stay out in the sticks, and away from 'civilized' type campgrounds.

** No problems from 2 legged critters.

4 legged critters? Lost some grouse breasts to a pair of pine martins once, and some trout to a racoon. :coffeedrink:

In reality, short of sitting at camp, and watching everything, there's not a lot you can do if a thieve is determined enough (or stupid enough) to want your things.

Even then, if they really want it, you sitting there may not even stop them.

In the end, you have to remember: "Life is short, It's just 'Stuff', and Go have fun"

ANDYROO

Adventurer
Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like we're all mostly doing the same things to protect our gear and I have some good extra ideas now. Agreed that maybe there's no real issue as you don't hear about trailers going missing. Also agreed, that ultimately it's all just stuff that can be replaced and life is for living.

Be safe and have fun out there everyone!

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior