Trailer Security advice

ANDYROO

Adventurer
Hey Everyone,

I primitive camp a lot in the Southern Californian deserts and mountains and usually set up a base camp and then explore all day returning at night. I lock down the trailer latches, put a steel cable through the wheels and remove the multi-axis coupler, however every time I return I'm thinking the same thoughts "I wonder if the trailer is still there?". Sure it's all insured but honestly I don't like the worry. Would love to hear from folks with better or alternative ideas.

Thanks!

DSCN1625.JPGDSCN1648.JPG

toymaster

Explorer
That is exactly what I do. Lately I have been thinking on replacing my top latches with something more substantial. As far as keeping someone from pulling up and using their hitch or wrap a chain around the tongue then pulling off the trailer....I have no idea. The heavy wire rope lock wrapped around the axle and through the rim is all I could think of.

ert01

Adventurer
Same here. I use grade 8 chain through the wheels and remove my max coupler. Sometimes I'll run the chain around a free if I park close enough.

Some with cutters can get through the chain but they will still have to figure out how to tow it out since I take the coupler with me.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
What about a tire boot like parking enforcement uses when you haven't paid your tickets? They sell those at the trailer shops around here in WA. Think it's called the Denver Boot. Locks on to the wheel so the vehicle can't move and you can't even remove the wheel if you wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I follow more or less the same procedure, except I leave the Max Coupler on the trailer with a locking hitch pin. I know the hitch pin is probably easily defeated, but I feel that's better than leaving an opening for a would be thief to pop in the coupler of their choice.

In the end I don't worry about this too much. There aren't people roving around the back country searching for trailers to steal, at least I think there aren't.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
We do exactly the same, even when parked at night in a motel or similar I'd take the cable used for the wheels and run through the tow bar too.

I think its only us overlandies that use a reciever on both the truck and the trailer

Id say 98 % of all traliers in the US have a standard ball hitch.

mrchips

Adventurer
Do the same, remove the coupler then put a locking pin thru the hole so no other coupler can be installed. Been doing this for 5 yrs and have had no problems.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
pretty much the same:
remove coupler
affix locking pin
cable through the tire rim and trailer lid
trailer tailgate locked from the inside
cable locks on the gas cans
nose box locked

I don't have anything for my solar panel but am looking at some sort of cable lock. Some moron could still steal camp chairs, the table, stove and other things that I may have left deployed.

TACO721

Observer
up, for ideas. i have thought about stuff for when i build a trailer. take max coupler out and out a locking pin back in. and like someone said 98% or maybe more traulers use a ball hitch.

toymaster

Explorer
Is it a real problem? How often are trailers/gear stolen out in the backwoods?

It may not be a huge problem; we may be overly cautious, perhaps. Most of us have $10K - $16K invested in a highly mobile unit. Not to mention the special feeling owners may have with their customized trailer.

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
You might look into the GPS transmitters hidden in a trailer, at least you could tract it down.

Marking your stuff helps according to our local police. Those who may take something are doing it for two reasons, touse themselves, which means they will have stolen property on them that any onlooker might see is not thiers and secondly, to sell. If you have equipment ingraved it's hard to sell and many shops won't take anything where any engraving has been scratched out. Making the property hard to use or profit from deters the incentive.

You might have kids who swipe something and toss it out in the bonnies just to cause trouble.

Give $5 to your local sherriffs office and get a decal, usually looks like thier shield and under it it says "supporter" many officers donate and fly such decales.....who would steal from a cop?

Saw a contractor trailer with a generator on it, the bolts had welds and could not be taken off easily. It also had steel stock rods locked to the axel underneath that stuck out through the wheels about 18" past the wheels, made the trailer too wide to haul off it was picked up on a flatbed!

The coupler on my trailer slides into the tounge, not many thiefs carry an extra coupler with 2" box tubbing.

I'd be more worried about vandals, slashing a tent, tires or even burning the rig! I do know that in some areas the locals don't want strangers around, wrecking equipment usually gets attention and a reputation of "you better not camp in there".....too bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles