Adding another GM to the stable tomorrow? This time a solid axle burb.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Seems 73-91 suburbans are popular on here.

My friend jokingly told me the other day "I found you the perfect family SUV for your new family" So we joked about it, and ended up going to have a look at it tonight after work. Think Im going to grab it tomorrow.

Its a 91 3/4 ton with 350tbi, auto, 10 bolt, 14 bolt full floater, 373s and I assume a th400 and 205? Not sure, it was pretty dark.

$950 with 37s and a set of 70-75% 285/15/16s BFG muds on black soft 8's. 4" front springs/rear blocks and a 3" bodylift, plus a big(ger) front bumper

Passed a safety check a month ago, then the took it mudding and blew the motor.... Still barely runs, but knocks like crazy. Sounds like being surrounded by 15-20 6.2L diesels hahaha. And its not as solid as it looks, afterall we are in northern ontario.

Should I go for it? I was thinking just another 350, or maybe a 12 valve.

photo3_zps7e5833ef.jpg

photo2_zpscfab06b8.jpg

photo1_zps4713b93e.jpg

photo_zps456ec47f.jpg

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
hard to beat for that price

but what makes it not too solid, Rust?

repairs panels must exist

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Ended up going to get it after work, a couple hours ago. Plopped the optima out of my diesel into it to tow it to my moms place on a rope, but it didnt sount too too bad so I just drove it.
As it turns out, a buddy of a buddy informed us another guy with a cummins superduty had the 16.5's and hogged them out to a rough 8x170 bolt pattern hahaha..... Ended up just taking the 285s, and going to give him the 37s back. Ended up paying $850.

As far as the solidness goes, yes rust.... The rear wheel arch panels have been patched and are coming through, same goes for the rockers. Front 2 cab mounts are a bit soft so ill make those up. Plan is to cut the rockers off and replace with rectangle tube 3/16", going to cut off the lower 1/4 panels and do a wrap around bumper, and use a set of 73-80 fenders I have laying around to re-do the 1/4 panel wheel arch patches. I would like to lengthen the wheel wells while I am in there I think. There was some sheet metal that had to be tied together around rear wheel wells to inners and inner rochers that turned into a pop rivet frenzy so Ill be fixing that up with my high tech mig welder. I will probably re-do the 1/4 panel wheel arches with pop rivets and 3m panel bond glue, then just leave them like that without filler. I try to steer clear of those made in taiwan patches as much as I can.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Well Bushcoat, it sounds like you have got yourself a new:Wow1: project. If you have a 350 kicking around, well just throw it in there. I have with success used glue, rivets, and galvinized flashing to make the body solid, and then covering it with bondo. The beauty is that it does not rust and as opposed to welding it does not make your undercoating catch fire while trying to repair your vehicle. Congrats on your new ride and keepus posted with LOTS OF PICS! Cheers, Chilli...:)

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Thanks chilli. I dont have a spare 350 but Ive been watching the classifieds for the last few days. I do have enough 6.5 parts to build another motor but Im not really happy with the 6.5 in my 99 so I dont think Ill go that route. Might see if I can boxliner most or all of the truck too hahahaha. Since I hate doing bodywork, I always try to keep body filler work to a minimum. Maybe because Im doing 60+ hours a week bodywork on other peoples vehicles :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles