Another piece of recovery gear I am adding...

spressomon

Expedition Leader
After needing something like this on the trail a few weeks ago I found this...just ordered one. Good for anchoring the uphill side of a rig when jacking the downhill side to change a flat...which was the exact scenario we had...the rig kept wanting to slide with the Hi-Lift down hill. Additional uses would be to easily & quickly tie the axle to the frame when jacking to keep from extending the suspension, etc.

2"x27' ratcheting strap with chain and hook ends (CRS 227C).

http://www.tarpstop.com/ratchet_straps.php

paulj

Expedition Leader
The version with wire hooks can be bought most anywhere, but I've only seen the one with chain and grab hooks at online places like this.

I suspect the chain version is more useful, and probably more secure, in various recovery cases, but I'd like to hear from people with experience in these matters.

paulj

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I use that style to strap my jeep to the trailor, i don't know about using them in recovery, i don't think they'll take a shock load too well. If that latch pops at the wrong time,you may go for a ride. I always tie mine off before I travel.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I'm interested more in their use as a tensioning device, along with a come-along, not in their use as a tow strap (much less a dynamic one).
paulj

spressomon

Expedition Leader
paulj said:
I'm interested more in their use as a tensioning device, along with a come-along, not in their use as a tow strap (much less a dynamic one).
paulj

Exactly. To stabilize a rig as I previously did...and to use to limit the suspension for easier, safer jacking. They do offer them in 3" and 4" with higher load limits I believe. But a ~3,400lb working load limit is fine for my intended uses.

CaliCruiser

Adventurer
I think I recall the incident;) That would have been nice to have! I still need to complete my recovery equipment list.

Dylan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles