anyone extended the stock lunette on a 416?

Jevy

Adventurer
Hey everyone,

I'm getting to the point of thinking about the tongue for my trailer and have a question about the lunette. I'm thinking about removing the lunette and cutting it in half then insert it inside a piece of tubing. Then drilling through it for a bolt and also welding it all together. I was wondering if anyone has tried this? If so how much longer did you make the tongue? I'm debating about possibly adding 30-36" to the tongue. Thoughts????

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Yes, sort of... I didnt add in tubing, I added ON tubing. Need to do some road testing but it clears my rear tire swing out now, and it looks like it will back up a while lot better with the longer draw bar and no ring.

Started with this...

09dcfbfa.jpg

Cut off the end and squared off the round bar evenly to perfectly fit a receiver tube extension...

05efa4c1.jpg

c105fad1.jpg

Welded (heat the hell out of that cast first) and a 1/2" grade 8 bolt

f438e4ce.jpg

Left the stock lunette in as an emergency fall back...makes it easy to see how much I have added.

20121008_175624_zps61a027fb.jpg

Works great! Will measure it tomorrow if you like? I believe I added 29" plus the coupler? Technically I could have skipped the extension and just added the draw bar 2x2 tube, but I like the option of easily switching couplers and lengths.

Last edited:

JPNCA

Adventurer
I just had a new one machined
Then welded on the 2" reciever. I guess if you want add the ring you could.

137.jpg

149.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I thought about getting a custom piece machined, but then I picked up the spare lunette ring assembly super cheap, so it was a no brainer.

Jackknife the trailer is exactly what I couldn't do before and now can as well.

Attachments

• 149.jpg
    149.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 9

JPNCA

Adventurer
Nice
Do what you have to do

I had a buddy machine it so the price was right

The above idea sounds good

Forum statistics

Threads