Need Suggestions for Hydraulic Brake With Parking Brake

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
As the title says I'm looking for a hydraulic brake with parking brake capability. And to make it a bit harder I'd like to use a LocknRoll type coupler.
The trailer is a homebuilt from scratch and I have reasons to desire that particular setup. When I get a build thread started y'all will understand. I'm shooting for an all up loaded weight of 2200 - 2400 lbs and if possible it'll be less.
I've seen the Conquerors & Kamparoos with the parking brake but those are cable operated not hydraulic. I also believe certain variants of the M416 trailer have hydraulics but a mechanical parking brake.

Ok, if ya got ask questions ask'em or make suggestions I'm stumped at the moment.

Thanks,
Mike

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
It seems you are making a lot of work for yourself. Electric brakes have become state of the art, used on gigantic 5th wheels. I tow a 42 fifth wheel with my FJ inside and electric brakes work perfectly. I know parking brakes are available on electric brake set ups, but as stated via cable. Surge brakes can be a real problem off road, with electric you can turn them off and use the vehicle brakes to climb and preload the suspension. Curious and anxious to see your build thread and reasons for your plan.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
Bob,
Thanks for responding, I followed the threads on your builds. You do good work.

I'm leaning toward the electric-hydraulic set-up Scrapdaddy is referring to, but I was wondering about the surge brake. I did some research last night and you're right, it doesn't sound like a good idea.

I think I can add two small cable operated calipers to the discs for a parking brake.

Mike

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Trailer brakes are great option for turning, controlling sliding and by turning them off at times helps with climbing as stated. I have been messing with a two lever system for applying one at a time or shutting both off. I had one made a few years ago, but it disappeared when I closed the shop and moved everything to my new garage. I will dig around and see if I can find the thing. The problem with it was that both levers worked, but could not get them consistent with each other. May need to do more work.

Good luck on the cable for the disk setup, and keep us in the loop.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home of the strongest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94