On Board Fresh Water System

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
Hey trailer guys.
I have a question, I do not have a trailer, and I am not building one...yet.
But you all are innovative, so I thought I would post this here.

What I am building/driving/and camping out of is this,
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...odge-Diesel-Utility-Bed-Skamper-Modifications

A full size Dodge, with a utility bed and a pop-up camper. The camper is stripped, it is a glorified tent.
I want to do a 10-12 gallon water tank on the truck, what I don't know anything about is the pump system and plumbing.
I have recieved advise on a 12volt RV pump or an accumulator system that works with the Viair compressor that i have installed. I am just planning on buying a plastic RV fresh water tank and mounting in the stock spare location.
Any suggestions or recomendations on which is the better/more reliable way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Jevy

Adventurer
I've been debating the same thing for my trailer build. I'm interested to hear what others have to say about it.

SmokeSlayer

A 12v water pump is all you need, just make sure you vent the tank or the pump wont work. Are there plans for hot water?

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
A 12v water pump is all you need, just make sure you vent the tank or the pump wont work. Are there plans for hot water?

I have considered hot water, but it's not a "must have". This is mainly for cooking, washing hands after fishing, and watering down my bourbon, lol!

Back Flow Preventers or anything necessary needed in the system?

Sorry, like I said, I'm doing online research, but not super knowledeable on this.

Vince1

Adventurer
I bought an agricultural sprayer that was made for ATVs. Came with a tank, pump, and hose. All I had to do was wire it to the battery and plumb it to a spigot. Northern tool, tractor supply, gemplers, ..everybody carries them.

XJINTX

Explorer
I made mine and it's installed in an enclosed accessible area. Works great but I thought it would be cool to insulate so I used spray-in insulation. BIG ISSUE... I forgot a drain :( if anyone knows how I could do after the fact... I'm all ears! It's a PIA to have to syphin after every use it's a 30 gal and I always have water left no matter how much I take.

jim65wagon

Use this RV pump, with whatever water tank you choose. Easy way is to just run a switch to turn the pump on when camped, and a simple garden hose and sprayer. With the switch on the pump will hold pressure and shut itself off. You need water just spray what you need and the pump kicks on and runs until you close the sprayer.

This was the setup when we just used the truck:

water tank, pump and battery:.............................on/off switch, water hose and sprayer

Later we added a Triton water heater. Hook up the water hose and propane, when you turn on the shower head the unit automatically lights up and heats the water nearly instantly:

Later still we added the same unit to the trailer we built:

The beauty is, the Triton heats water faster than the stove, so hot dish water is seconds away, as is a good shower. The pump operates flawlessly, and as long as you can run some electrical wiring and water lines the pump can be anywhere on your truck.

SmokeSlayer

I have considered hot water, but it's not a "must have". This is mainly for cooking, washing hands after fishing, and watering down my bourbon, lol!

Back Flow Preventers or anything necessary needed in the system?

Sorry, like I said, I'm doing online research, but not super knowledeable on this.

A back flow is used when your hooked up to shore water so in you case no you do not need one. I think the more inportant issue is the watering down of the bourbon. that is a no...lol

SmokeSlayer

I made mine and it's installed in an enclosed accessible area. Works great but I thought it would be cool to insulate so I used spray-in insulation. BIG ISSUE... I forgot a drain :( if anyone knows how I could do after the fact... I'm all ears! It's a PIA to have to syphin after every use it's a 30 gal and I always have water left no matter how much I take.

why dont you put a tee valve in and use the pump to drain the tank.

XJINTX

Explorer
Yes, I can pump it almost empty but... I just feel like a dummy for no drain and with that layer of insulation. I'm not sure how I can put a drain in now that would not leak. I eventually will pull it all apart to add a drain. Just wanted the OP to give it some thought ;)

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
Use this RV pump, with whatever water tank you choose. Easy way is to just run a switch to turn the pump on when camped, and a simple garden hose and sprayer. With the switch on the pump will hold pressure and shut itself off. You need water just spray what you need and the pump kicks on and runs until you close the sprayer.

water tank, pump and battery:.............................on/off switch, water hose and sprayer

Later we added a Triton water heater. Hook up the water hose and propane, when you turn on the shower head the unit automatically lights up and heats the water nearly instantly:

The beauty is, the Triton heats water faster than the stove, so hot dish water is seconds away, as is a good shower. The pump operates flawlessly, and as long as you can run some electrical wiring and water lines the pump can be anywhere on your truck.

Great set up. That's is exactly what I was looking for.

A back flow is used when your hooked up to shore water so in you case no you do not need one. I think the more inportant issue is the watering down of the bourbon. that is a no...lol

I have to water it down....Pace myself. LOL!

Woods

Explorer
I've done some preemptive research on this and here's what I'll do on my next build.

Faucet LINK
- Rotates (two axis side to side and up and down)
- Has a built in electric switch on the valve.

I'm using Flojet Quiet Quad. It's VERY quiet and has a lot of flow. Maybe more flow than I need. Otherwise figure out what you want for flow and pic the pump that matches your needs. BTW, other than for draining my tanks, I would like everything in my system to be at 1 GPM. Makes the water last a lot longer when doing dishes, washing hands etc.

I'm using the previously mentioned triton heater. It and the eccotemp seem to be similar. Remember that you have minimum flow requirements with these water heaters.

Most companies recommend strainers and accumulators. My pump is fine without an accumulator, but I should probably have a strainer in the system.

General Automag

Adventurer

How does your ZODI shower enclosure work for you? Is it easy to set up, and is it sturdy? Do you consider it a good buy? Thanks :)

ToolBox Guy

Adventurer
I've done some preemptive research on this and here's what I'll do on my next build.

Faucet LINK
- Rotates (two axis side to side and up and down)
- Has a built in electric switch on the valve.

I'm using Flojet Quiet Quad. It's VERY quiet and has a lot of flow. Maybe more flow than I need. Otherwise figure out what you want for flow and pic the pump that matches your needs. BTW, other than for draining my tanks, I would like everything in my system to be at 1 GPM. Makes the water last a lot longer when doing dishes, washing hands etc.

I'm using the previously mentioned triton heater. It and the eccotemp seem to be similar. Remember that you have minimum flow requirements with these water heaters.

Most companies recommend strainers and accumulators. My pump is fine without an accumulator, but I should probably have a strainer in the system.

Also great info. Thank you.

That faucet is a great looking item.

jim65wagon

How does your ZODI shower enclosure work for you? Is it easy to set up, and is it sturdy? Do you consider it a good buy? Thanks :)

I would buy it again, if that answers the "good buy?" question. It's very easy to set up, just two long tent poles at the corners and you can stake it down if need be. It's as sturdy as tent poles and fabric can be, I guess, it shows no signs of wear as yet. It's nice when it is just walls (it comes with a removeable floor), so there is nothing to really get too wet before packing up camp on theat last morning we all hate. It makes a nice changing room too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior