Found a 89 Trooper RS $1200 obo

Bella PSD

Explorer
I have had ISUZU trucks in the past. Even had matching Spacecab pickup 4x4 and a TROOPER LS for me and the wife back around 90-94. Matching as in same 2 tone paint. Wife got the trooper and I built up the Spacecab with a lift, wheel flares, 32" bfg, header/cam from calmini and so on. LOVED that Spacecab and Trooper.

Anyway...was on the web looking for a wii for the kids and found a 89 RS Trooper. from what I remember, the RS was 2 door, and came with the 31" tires and Alum rims like the ones on the LS pickup (Rodeo wheels later on) Also had 4.78 (?) gears.
Here is a picture. Looks like a RS to me?? Might call him up?? What do you guys think, are they still hard to find?
View attachment 11288

1989 ISUZU TROOPER 4X4
Runs good, has newer mudders on it, new distibutor cap and rotor button,
new plugs and wires, new fuel filter. 4 wheel drive works great, pretty easy on
gas too. Has cuise control, and A/C, interior is in great shape, all around
a good vehicle. Anyone interested call Danny

datrupr

Expedition Leader
An RS in good condition is a bit of a rare find. Even harder to find is one with a desiel. That one looks pretty good. I love the old RS's.

Bella PSD

Explorer
If I remember right, the 1989 RS only came with the 4 cyl 2.6L in the gas motor. I don't think the RS had the GM 2.8 V6?? (hated that motor!!) From the other pictures it looks to be a 5 speed and maybe all the RS troopers are. I know I have not seen to many around.

Louie

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I loved my 88 LS. I wanted the 2 door but they went from the long wheelbase 2 door to the short wheel base like pictured in 87.

I was disapointed in the size change. With the back seat up there is almost no cargo room. :( Thats why I went with the 4 door.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Bella PSD said:
If I remember right, the 1989 RS only came with the 4 cyl 2.6L in the gas motor. I don't think the RS had the GM 2.8 V6?? (hated that motor!!) From the other pictures it looks to be a 5 speed and maybe all the RS troopers are. I know I have not seen to many around.

Louie
AHHA we agree on something...

THe first 4x4 I wheeled was my old mans 91 Trooper with the 2.8L V6 (aka Worst GM garbage of all time) Oh god how I hated that motor. If I recall correctly, it generated about 56ft/lbs at 3500-3550 RPMS, and that was it. Never had to change the oil either, it just ate quart after quart. Never leaked, or smoked, just ate the oil.

My uncle had a 2dr with the little Diesel, and that thing was neat (being a diesel and all). I never see 2Dr Troopers any more, maybe a Monty (2dr) here and there or a Dodge raider, but no Troopers.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
If it does have the small and underpowered v6 I would stay away from it. But the 4 banger was a great little motor. Torquey and virtually indestructable. The downside to the older Troopers is they are prone to rust. Check the frame for rust, they are known to rust competely out to the point of failure.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Funny how V6's of that era were like that eh... The 3.0 Toy6 comes to mind. Basicly in trying to smooth out the truck they lost alot of the torque delivery a larger bore motor develops. 22RE versus 3.0, same boat.

Was that 4banger in the Troopers an Isuzu motor or was it Shivvy garbage as well.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I believe it was an Isuzu product. IIRC Isuzu used their own motors when it came to 4cyl, and used GM stuff when it came to the v6's. But that changed around in the mid 90's when Isuzu started using their own 3.2, and switched to a GM 4.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
If it's not rusted out or beat up then the price is about right for an RS 2 Door. Maybe a little below market. I looked at one this summer like that that brought $1500.
I've got 4 1st Gen Troopers. Various years and engines.
I'd say go for it. The 89 is a good year for the Trooper. The 2.6L Fuel Injected 4 cyls were the best. Called 1st Generation.
Parts are getting a little hard to find tho. I know of a Company that can get almost any new Isuzu part you need. Dealers are dropping out right and left.
Curtis

Bella PSD

Explorer
4Rescue said:
Funny how V6's of that era were like that eh... The 3.0 Toy6 comes to mind. Basicly in trying to smooth out the truck they lost alot of the torque delivery a larger bore motor develops. 22RE versus 3.0, same boat.

Was that 4banger in the Troopers an Isuzu motor or was it Shivvy garbage as well.

The Isuzu 2.6L 4 was a tough motor, much like a 22R but a bit bigger and more HP than the Toyota. All Isuzu built, and not one GM anything in site. No hydraulic lifters on this valve train. They had to be set. And that was part of the problem with the engine. The two I owned second hand never had the valves adjusted until I got them. So the valves would burn. If set every 15K the motor was excellent. The 5 speed was way overbuilt for a small pickup truck.

The 89 RS Trooper only came with a 2.6L and 5 speed. This was Isuzu's flag ship at the time and I do not think they wanted any GM in it at all.

Bella PSD

Explorer
This is kinda my inspiration on getting back to Isuzu again, one of my old SpaceCabs pictured below. Wish I never sold it. Although, I got a great price for it and replaced it with a new F 350 diesel CC.

This pretty rare Isuzu SpaceCab was full of cool things. 4 wheel disk brakes, 32 BFG MT and 15x8 rims, 4.56 gearing, Roof rack with BFG up top, Custom made SpaceCab fiberglass cap with side work windows, Rebuilt 2.6L with header and Calmini cam. Forward facing rear seats!! I think it had about 2.5 inch lift in the front and 3 in the rear. There is still an old (1993) wright up on the fender flares on the www. Maybe it was 4x4wire??

Anyway, the RS was something I always wanted. The owner has not e mailed me back yet.

View attachment 11318

View attachment 11317

AutoXSS

Adventurer
rehashing old thread, price question

How rare are these.....now? Have they gone up in value? Could a rust free original go for over $3k?

I've always liked these and the gen1 Monty/Raider.

justcuz

Explorer
its almost 10 years later, so I would suppose they would be rarer now. The 2.6 is a good engine if you dont overheat it. Head gasket failures were common. If the vehicle is in real good shape without too much aftermarket stuff cobbled on to it, I could concieve it costing 3 grand, but it would have to be an excellent example for me to pay that price.

I just saw one for sale in Texas for $750, with a blown head gasket.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles