Thread: Jeep: Made in China

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader

Default Jeep: Made in China

Chrysler and Fiat executives are in talks with Chinese partners to build Jeeps in China. Jeep has a history of assembling vehicles in China, and they export some models to China today. But now they're talking about manufacturing the iconic vehicles in the People's Republic.

The Jeeps made in China will be sold there. Jeeps for USA will continue to be built in Ohio. (Of course, that's what you'd expect Chrysler to say at this point. When a Wrangler Rubicon from China costs $10K less than a Wrangler Rubicon from Ohio, consumers will start wondering if that's a good idea.)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...nd-climbs.html

At least I know my fleet was made in the U.S.A.

Just picked up the '52 CJ3A this week. $200, and I drove it home! (it was only a mile, but it was fun!)

That one was made here, and all of it's parts were made here also!

when oh when will the US consumer learn that cheap goods mean cheap jobs or no jobs here at home.
    Sure saving $10k on a vehicle sounds great, but what good will it do when there are no jobs left in the US to pay for the rest of the Jeep?

I am not xenophobic or anything, I just think much of our success of the last 100yrs had to do with homegrown manufacturing, pride and individual responsibility....all things that are going, going gone.
    cigar smoking, wilderness first responding, ham talking night nurse who is overland certified and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.....
    now everyone say "so what where have you been lately?"

"The business of America is business."
    2001 Tacoma Extended Cab, 3RZ, AT, SAC, 5.29 gears, ARB FR/RR locker, and a few other mods... Build thread, Post #33
    AMERICAN ADVENTURIST ON FACEBOOK
    Adventures in and out of your Overlanding Rig... American Adventurist

Manufacturing in the country they are selling the vehicles makes a lot of sense and will allow jeep to be competitive in that market, exporting to china a vehicle made in the US is all well and good, but as far as I'm conserned selling more jeeps is going to be better for the company. The manufacturing in the states is coming back, but its a long way off from being internationally competitive any more

Jeep has a long history of assembling vehicles in countries outside of the US.

India's Mahindra & Mahindra's first venture into automotive manufacturing was building Willys Jeeps. The M&M Thar is still very close to CJ styling. http://www.mahindrathar.com/Default.aspx

Pars Khodro built CJs and YJs in Iran.

Arab American Vehicles has built Jeeps in Egypt since the 70s.

Beijing Automobile Works made YJs and TJs and still produces vehicles based on the XJ and TJ.

Mitsubishi built CJs in Japan from the 50s to the 90s.

Willys Brazil made CJs was bought out by Ford, who still made the CJs.

I'm happy, just so long as they keep building them in the US.
    Aaron

1999 Blazer - 135k+, 31s
    1999 Astro (Green - Daily) - 225k+, 2WD, Alaska 2013
    1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally) - 335k+ orig engine, AWD, 2", 31s, rear LSD, $30 eBay fuel pump
    2002 Liberty (Eugene - Her Jeep) - 220k+ , 4", 32s, 4.10, back seat delete
    1980 KE100 (Bessie) - 100cc of fury
    Prev Astros: 86, 94, 87, 00, 97

nothing new here...
    The Jeep 2500 or as Americans know it, the Cherokee has been MADE in many countries for many years. Why all of a sudden interest?
    1984–2001 (USA)
    1984–2005 (China)
    1987–2001 (Venezuela)
    1996–2000 (Argentina)

I thank Jeep are made in China now and have been for years, their just assembled in Toledo. Right?
    2006 Land Rover Discovery3/LR3 SE

Former

Old Automobiles
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
    1999 Land Rover Discovery SD
    2007 Jeep Wrangler X
    2004 Ford F-250 XLT
    1998 Jeep Wangler Sport
    1984 BMW 318i
    Trailers
    1990 Coleman Colorado
    M416a1
    M416

Actual conversation I had about my Sportster with some idiots:

Them: Why do you ride a Harley? They aren't even really American bikes.
    Me: Its an American bike, see here, it has a 1HD VIN number which means it was assembled in Wisconsin.
    Them: Yeah but none of the parts were made in the USA. Besides, Sportsters are for "pansies" (they said something else...family forum) because its an 883.
    Me: You ride a 250cc Kawasaki Ninja, shut the f*** up before I kick your a**.
    Them: Whatever.... *weeeeee weeeeeeeee weeeeeeeee* as they ride away on their plastic bikes
    Lets leave all our crap where it is and go live in the woods.
    K7WS

I ride a scooter, therefore I am.