Garmin 62s or Oregon 450?

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I'm getting a bit more experienced with camping and exploring off the beaten trail with a few small test trips this past summer. I've acquired just about everything I need (as far as equipment is concerned) to for some serious backcountry 4x4/canoe/hiking/biking trips next summer in Northern Canada - except for what GPS I'm going to use. I have topo maps on my iPhone but we all know the downfalls of using your phone as a handheld GPS. I also plan on using it while on a canoe or hiking in the rain so seeing as my iPhone isn't waterproof that's out of the question. It's also nice having batteries in case you're on the trail for a little bit longer than you expected and your phone battery runs out. I have an in-dash navigation unit in my vehicle so on-road voice turn-by-turn directions aren't important, mostly the off-road/trail stuff is what I'm looking at.

I think I've narrowed it down to two choices - the Garmin 62s or the Oregon 450. The 62s seams rugged and it has buttons so it can be operated with gloves, but the 450 has a larger screen. The 450 also seems to have a nicer menu system rather than the ridiculous and confusing button menus of the 62s. Both seem to fit my needs pretty well and I'm leaning towards the oregon 450.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these units and have any up or downsides to mention? Like I said before, I'll most likely be using maps from backroadmapbooks.com since they have a vast database of logging/fire route roads for Canada as well as canoe routes, hiking trails etc.

Thanks for any input!

762X39

Explorer
My Brother has the Oregon and I have a 62. The Oregon is cooler for all you iCrap fans but I find the 62 to be a better gps. I have Never found the button menu to be confusing and it isn't ridiculous, you are just too young to remember real buttons (you are right about the 62 being more rugged though, my brother had to return his unit for replacement). Once you have it and learn how to operate it (like anything else) it becomes second nature. I don't think much of the Backroad Mapbooks (and my organization advertises in it) since you can get the information for free from other sources. I'll look up the link later today and post it here for a free topo mapset that can be loaded into your Garmin for all of Canada. :coffee:

Last edited:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
My Brother has the Oregon and I have a 62. The Oregon is cooler for all you iCrap fans but I find the 62 to be a better gps. I have Never found the button menu to be confusing. Once you have it and learn how to operate it (like anything else) it becomes second nature. :coffee:
Any reason for that? Better GPS reception, better accuracy?

The menus are just a personal distaste. My brother has a 60CX, I've used it multiple times and have learned the buttons but it still doesn't 'flow' very well at all. Not sure if they're changed the menu system for the newer 62s. I'm sure I would get used to them, but I do like the simplicity of the touchscreen menus.

OFF TOPIC: You have a unimog in Hamilton?! I love those trucks!

762X39

Explorer
I dunno, never had a problem with the menu system and I still have an old Map60 (the only problem with it is the tiny memory). I travel down logging roads and fire roads all the time ( spent a week north of Temagami in September and will be back up in December). As far as a gps, if you live in the real world, the 62 is just better. I also canoe and hunt in wilderness areas and it just seems to work better and seems better adapted to harsh environments.:coffee:

ChrisFredrikson

I have the the 62 and my Friend has an Oregon 550t (not the 450 i know). I may be biased, but I prefer the 62s by a country mile. It is more rugged and you feel confident when you are using it. Other than that I found this GPS Guide which seems to give an overview of the differences between them. hope it helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94