iPad Mini announced

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I'll wait until the iPad Mini version 2.0 comes out with the fixes for whatever is wrong with version 1.0.

In 8 months or whatever the cycle is this time there will be a better version. Love the idea though, great size. :)

reece146

Automotive Artist
I'll wait until the iPad Mini version 2.0 comes out with the fixes for whatever is wrong with version 1.0.

In 8 months or whatever the cycle is this time there will be a better version. Love the idea though, great size. :)

Retina.. then I'm buying one for a lap timer for the race car. I prefer a bigger device on the ram mount in the Jeep.

RobRed

Explorer
You guys miss the point - Apple isn't competing... they are setting the bar. None of the other players are getting any traction in the space relative to Apple's 80% market share. 1 model category for 2.5 years and still 80% share. Now a second model - it will likely canibalize sales from other ipad purchases and a few cheapie Nexus purchases and Apple will still have 80% share - profiting on the upgrade cycle. Keeping margins high. Bravo to good capitalism.

Haven's simple analysis is spot on. Having worked for Apple I understand very well the program there - they have always maintained margins.

Keep in mind your $130 isn;t for GPS - though that may be the motivating factor here - you also get that lovely LTE modem inside. ;)

haven

Expedition Leader
Orders for the iPad Mini started this morning in the Apple online store. The batch set aside for early delivery has been sold out. Wait times for delivery are now at two weeks.

If you feel the need to get your hands on an iPad Mini as soon as possible, Apple stores, Best Buy, and other retailers will have a limited number for sale on Nov. 2.

X-plorenow

Adventurer
X2, completely agree. Apple is the clear leader and they know it. No reason to lower their price point as they don't feel that the other devices compete with the iPad yet.

You guys miss the point - Apple isn't competing... they are setting the bar. None of the other players are getting any traction in the space relative to Apple's 80% market share. 1 model category for 2.5 years and still 80% share. Now a second model - it will likely canibalize sales from other ipad purchases and a few cheapie Nexus purchases and Apple will still have 80% share - profiting on the upgrade cycle. Keeping margins high. Bravo to good capitalism.

Haven's simple analysis is spot on. Having worked for Apple I understand very well the program there - they have always maintained margins.

Keep in mind your $130 isn;t for GPS - though that may be the motivating factor here - you also get that lovely LTE modem inside. ;)

X-plorenow

Adventurer
add to that current user base and app support, it is a big jump for anyone to catch up.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2012954/how-apples-ipad-mini-compares-with-android-tablets.html

Here's a useful article that shows how the iPad Mini compares with a variety of Android devices. MacWorld concludes, "...the iPad mini's specs and pricing are in many cases uncompetitive with those of other tablets its size." Uncompetitive, that is, until you consider Apple's industrial design, the strength of iOS apps, and the overall user experience.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Nope, but looking at the reviews I'm starting to second guess the Nexus 7 I was planning on buying.

haven

Expedition Leader
Apple's embargo on review of the iPad Mini has been lifted and several tech sites have posted their impressions after using the Mini for a week.

Everyone raves over how thin and easy to hold the Mini is. Battery life is also excellent. Some reviews point out that video looks better on the Android 7 inch tablets due to their screen resolution and screen shape. Few reviews point out that the Mini has just 512MB of RAM, which makes the machine a little slower than if it had 1 GB, as the iPad 3 and 4 do.

Many reviews say they initially were concerned about the lack of a "retina" display, but found the current screen acceptable.

Best quote: Writing on The Verge blog, Joshua Topolsky concludes,
"There's no tablet in this size range that's as beautifully constructed, works as flawlessly, or has such an incredible software selection. Would I prefer a higher-res display? Certainly. Would I trade it for the app selection or hardware design? For the consistency and smoothness of its software, or reliability of its battery? Absolutely not. And as someone who's been living with (and loving) Google's Nexus 7 tablet for a few months, I don't say that lightly.

The iPad mini hasn't wrapped up the "cheapest tablet" market by any stretch of the imagination. But the "best small tablet" market? Consider it captured."

Using today's technology, a "retina" display would make the Mini thicker and heavier, blunting its appeal. In a year or two, I hope the technology catches up so we can enjoy the Mini with a higher resolution screen.

This actually may be why Apple priced the Mini at $329. Next year, they may be able to include a "retina" screen at the same price point. Then they might lower the standard Mini price to $200, just like they lowered the price of the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 with "retina" screen came out last Spring.

It must be said that the Mini is probably not the best choice for overlanding. The $200 Nexus 7 includes a GPS chip. The Mini with GPS (and cellular modem) costs $459.

Here are links to the best of the reviews I found:

http://daringfireball.net/2012/10/ipad_mini

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/apple-ipad-mini-review/

http://allthingsd.com/20121030/sizing-up-the-new-ipad-mini/

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3576178/apple-ipad-mini-review

Tbird

Observer
Thanks haven, I'd probably spend the extra hooch to buy the mini because I prefer the iHike app. Call me stupid for paying $250 more to use a $10 app, but I like it that much :). Still, saving some cash might be worth the compromise (in my mind) even though a new tablet is low on my list of mods.

I'm with Mitch, I'd hate to give up iHike on my iPad. But I wonder if there is anything comparable in the Andriod world that I don't know about.

...just read through the entire thread...going to have to check out BC Navigator.

Last edited:

Uglyduck

Adventurer
I briefly compared iHike to BC Navigator on a friends Android. It didn't have the detail that iHike did. BC Nav indicated an old railroad bed (which was accurate 100 years ago) where there is now a well traveled fire road properly marked on iHike. I prefer iHike since it uses Forest Service maps in addition to USGS. The forest maps are more accurate as they were updated more recently. I understand they may not be available in all area's though. I'll take another look on our next outing and get a better comparison between the two apps.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
yummm...

salivating...

My wife told me that if I end up with a preaching position that I can get an iPad, which I love, BUT the pad is, well, a pad, IE Massive, and not easily carried. Flip side I can stuff the mini right into my pockets, and walk around free and easy.

I really may have to jump on that nice big 64GB jobby.

Ok I have GOT To ask, though...

What is the point of the LTE thing. I mean with the modem, what can you call anyhow? Do you have to have a cellular plan to use it?

Also can I use this thing to take the place of my nearly worthless iPhone4? Got the small one, had to down grade from the iPhone 3g that I had, in terms of storage, though they claim the same size. The iPhone 4 took four fewer movies than did my 3g with all other things being the same. Since then I have had to drop several apps, and now I am going to have to drop another two-three movies just to update the stupid iOS. Color me NOT impressed. If I go with another iOS product I am clearly going to need the larger HD inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94