iPad Mini announced

Sempertoy

Explorer
Can anyone who has purchased one provide a review? Just curious what owners think after using them for a few days or weeks. Battery life, wi-fi, etc.

Anyone with an iPad 1 and a mini that can provide some comparisons?

Thanks

Can't compare to the iPad 1 but I am very satisfied with my mini. Battery life is great! I feel like I'm playing on it all day and it still has at least 50% at night. Wifi is also very good. I have had zero issues with my mini, and am very very glad that I bought this one and not a full size iPad.

hitek79

Explorer
I have an iPad 2. I like it, but it's big, and it's heavy. You can't hold it in one hand at all. The iPad mini I can hold one handed for quite awhile. I can also slip it into the side pocket on my cargo pants. I use mine for a number of photography apps, so being able to easily access it is key for me. Other than that, it's pretty similar. It's pretty fast, battery life is great, and wifi downloads are quick.

jrose609

Explorer
Sempertoy and Hitek

Thanks for the updates. I have an original iPad. Works fine for most things. Would like the smaller one though. Would be so much more user friendly for work. I could actually carry it in my cargo pockets.

Haven, thanks for update on the resolution. That was one of my concerns after so many people complaining about lack of retina display.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I was discussing these devices with friends over beers last night...

I ended up buying an unlocked Nexus 7 (HPSA, 32GB) at $309 (CDN) when it came out.

To get the roughly equivalent Apple iPad Mini I would have had to pay $559 (CDN). That's almost twice the cost for a lower pixel count and density and IIRC a slower processor.

The gap between iOS and Android Jellybean is not there any more. In fact, I was surprised to find I prefer the multitasking dynamic and general GUI layout of Jellybean compared to iOS.

I'm no Android fanboi or Apple hater; this is the first non-Apple computing device I've bought in over a decade. The value proposition didn't make sense and I had a requirement that needed filling in a smaller form factor.

FWIW, if the Mini was priced at ~$425 I likely would have bought the Mini. At $559 I expect at least 64 GB and/or retina display.

Unless there is specific software you use that requires iOS I would recommend the Nexus 7 or equivalent without hesitation.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I personally think that part of it has to be that people are already invested in the iDevices. I mean to say that once you have the app, who wants to have to go out and pay microsoft for the same app you already paid apple for?

While not all of the iPhone apps will transfer, enough of them will that it works best for me. All of the calendar stuff, all of the contacts etc, everything just works when you plug it in. I think this must be a major factor in the purchase. Secondly I have to say that it seems much of the innovation comes from apple, the rest of the stuff people just buy an ipad and reverse engineer it. Of course it did not cost as much, they did not have to pay to do any of the hard work. I dono, that deserves a little respect from me as well.

Still planning to pick up the mini or the full size pad in a few months.

Besides all of that, I am just flat out sick and tired of crappy Microsoft junk that never lasts and always seems to get buggy really fast and slow down to a snail's pace even faster. Ok I am a bit jaded, but I am only stating my opinion after all.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Not everyone is pleased with the iPad Mini. Here's a comparison of the Mini with the Google Nexus 7 tablet. One author calls it a tie, the other strongly prefers the Nexus 7.
http://www.macworld.com/article/2018711/ipad-mini-vs-nexus-7-the-debate.html

The authors dinged the iPad Mini for its lower screen resolution, high price, poor on-screen keyboard, and the proprietary Lightning connector (vs mini-USB on the Nexus).

I think it is a serious stretch to say that one author calls it a tie Chip. He said that the only thing the Google machine has going for it is the screen, and that if the mini had the screen the other would never see the light of day. That is no tie Sir.

The other Author, right down to her very last comment, it totally apologetic for the Google Nexus 7. She even goes so far as to say "I can find most of the apps I... need on Android" For me that is not exactly a ringing endorsement of anything more than the fact that her job pays her to like the Nexus 7 over the apple and she better represent.

I felt like the one Author tried to be open about his thoughts, though a few times he was showing his apple fanboy nature. The other author however only seemed to begrudgingly give apple any praise at all, and was fast to slam anything she thought she could.

Not saying this is a horrible thing, most of us will do that to some degree, we get defensive of our toys, and that is life, for better or worse. I just mean to say that one should certainly read both authors with a grain (aka block) of salt.

Thanks Chip, for posting that article up. I am going to have to pay attention to the graphics again when I check it out. Personally I thought the screen looked great, and I do not see what they are crying about with the pixelization. I personally, so far, have not been able to see the difference in the two types of screens.

Oh and I must further amend my earlier post and say that I suspect that most people do not, for all intents and purposes, even know the Nexus 7 exists. They know it is there, but they just ignore those commercials, and will never give it a passing glance because as far as they are concerned apple makes the best thing since sliced bread, and they have not heard otherwise. That is to say that prior to the 7" tablets, no one made anything that could even come close to competing with the iPod, the iPad, the iPhone, etc. They just flat our ruled the world for long enough people will assume it is still the case and therefore not even bother checking the other guys out. They will assume the price is so low because it is a "get what you paid for" deal, and they will pay for what the presume is a superior product because that is what they have come to expect from apple.

Kind regards,

hitek79

Explorer
I've had an Android tablet. It worked fine, the screen was nice, but there were no apps. At least not the ones I wanted/needed. There are some amazing photography/video apps for the iPad that I just don't want to live without. Made for a pretty easy decision when the iPad Mini was announced.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Can either nexus or Ipad mini be used for a video monitor? I don't think Apple allows video inputs, only downloads via camera connect. Heres what I'm thinking...as long as I have a device on my dash that's going to be running Apps, GPS, music...it should also double as a back up camera display. When you put your vehicle in reverse it should automatically display the rear view camera so I can see the trailer. Then when I shift back into drive it should go back to GPS, music...text messaging...whatever.

Anyone know if that is possible? Or should I be looking at a notebook.

RobRed

Explorer
not natively possible... there are cameras that transmit over wifi via a built in web server but that wont have your automated functionality. I would look into a rear view mirror/monitor setup for the back up cam

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Yes...there are mirror's that will double as monitors. I was just trying to look for one monitor to do it all. Love to clean up the dash a bit.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
So my wife got the iPad Mini for Christmas (From my folks) and we have been playing with it.

First the battery life was excellent! It just seems to last so long by comparison to my iPhone 4.

The display is wonderful. I can not believe so many people have been crying about the retinal display garbage. The display is so good on the Mini I can not tell the difference, so why should I want to pay more!?!?!

The storage is sub-optimal IMHO, but for my wife's purposes it will suffice. We have used it for FaceTime conversations with family around the country, and it has been really nice to have the larger screen than my iPhone.

Beyond that it is like any other iPad/iPhone, it does all that I want it to do, and I am very pleased with the device. I just wish that I could take it with me for my temporary duty down south this winter. Ah well.

Oh one negative that I have noticed.... The dang kids will not keep their hands off of it, always wanting to play games and watch movies. With a two year old, and a five year old, the thing is a magnet for food bits, general slime, and being thrown to the ground! grrr. So we need a way to keep it safe other than putting the thing high up so they can not reach it. Not a design fault, but... a sigh...

We love the iPad Mini. Does anyone know where to find a good cover for it, at a decent (small) price?

Regards

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Can't go wrong with an Otterbox... or LifeProof. Not sure if LifeProof makes one yet though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier