iPad Mini announced

haven

Expedition Leader
iPad Mini

7.9 inch screen, 1024x768 pixels
That's 162 pixels per inch. The iPad 2 has 132 PPI, and the iPad with Retina display is 264 PPI.

dual core A5 processor (like iPad 2)

16 GB WiFi $329
32 GB WiFi $429
64 GB WiFi $519

all models available to order Oct 26, shipping starts Nov 2

add $130 for LTE cellular radio
LTE won't ship until Nov 9

Facetime HD camera
5 Megapixel rear camera

dual band 802.11n WiFi
battery life 10 hours
7.2 mm thick, similar to a pencil
10.9 oz

goal was a smaller iPad that concentrates, rather than reduces, the iPad experience
draws from iPhone and iPod Touch design and manufacturing techniques

The iPad Mini is lighter and thinner than competitors, despite having a 10 hour battery

Apple iPad Mini 0.29 inches thick, 10.9 oz
Nexus 7 tablet 0.41 inches thick, 12 oz
Kindle Fire tablet 0.45 inches thick, 14.6 oz

current full size iPad 0.37 inches thick, 23.4 oz

evanthebruin

It's just bigger than Double DIN size. I'm sure metra and scoshe will be working on adapters to fit it. Its so close it wouldn't obscure any other parts of my dash anyway.

haven

Expedition Leader
Initial criticisms of the iPad Mini point out that the processor and screen are basically the same as the 18 month old iPad 2, just in a smaller package. Initial hands-on reports about the Mini say the screen looks nicer than the iPad 2 (more pixels per inch), and the performance seems OK.

haven

Expedition Leader
So you think Apple would sell millions more iPad Minis if they lowered the price by $30?

My guess is that Apple wanted the iPad Mini to avoid being categorized with the 7 inch tablets like Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire. Sometimes premium pricing helps people feel that they bought a superior product. Apple decided to let Google, Amazon and the other 7 inch tablet makers continue to fight a price war in which no one makes any money.

The new iPod Touch makes for an interesting comparison. At $299, the new Touch offers twice as much storage as the iPad Mini (32 GB), runs the same dual core A5 processor, and has a screen that is about the same resolution (1136x640 vs 1024x768). Both machines run iOS 6. The iPod Touch and the iPad 2 both run with 512MB of RAM. It will be interesting to see if Apple gave 1 GB RAM to the iPad Mini, or stayed with 512 MB.

The screen aspect ratio makes the iPod Touch appropriate for software designed for the iPhone, rather than the iPad. The new Touch is 2 ounces lighter than the iPad Mini, and, with a 4 inch screen, can be held and operated in one hand.

reece146

Automotive Artist
I don't think the price point is merited given the hardware spec is all. I would have expected a little more to differentiate the hardware given the premium. I was disappointed with the hardware spec. I was expecting a processor bump, 1280x800, whatever.

I get what you are saying but if the Nexus 7 gets double the ram at the same price next week... it's going to be a hard sell if you aren't already invested in iOS.

They'll still sell everyone they make - that's a given.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
I think Apple is trying to grab another slice of the tablet pie by expanding customer options, like different models on a car. I dont think there were necessarily filling a need as other options predate the iPad mini, its just another possible avenue to make more money. Not that that's a bad thing, it creates more consumer options and competition.

I believe I would like it for my purposes, mainly convenient internet access and navigation. I use an iPhone for navigation now and find myself wanting to use my wife's iPad for the larger screen size as my vision is somewhat lacking. Its Wi-Fi only so I could add a Bad Elf but then I lose audio controls and charging through the 30 pin my Tacoma's PAC cables. The alternative before this was to buy another iPad with 3G, I wasn't thrilled about dropping the money for that single function. This is a less expensive option and the screen size may be more convenient for vehicle navigation, not too small and not too big. Really, it comes down to personal preference and I'm happy to see another viable option come to the market as it may suit my needs.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think the price is high. At this price its desirable, but not a casual purchase. I predict a notable price drop in the near future, probably less than 3 months..... call it just after Christmas season.

haven

Expedition Leader
Uglyduck, if your primary interest/need is navigation, then wait for Google's announcement on the 29th. The price for a 16GB Nexus 7 is expected to fall to $199, including a GPS chip. The price for the iPad Mini with 16GB storage and GPS is $459.

Hmmm...I see what reece146 is saying about hardware spec vs price. But you could say the same thing about 10 inch Android tablets vs the original iPad. The iPad costs a lot more than the Android models, but seems worth it. To me, anyway.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Hmmm...I see what reece146 is saying about hardware spec vs price. But you could say the same thing about 10 inch Android tablets vs the original iPad. The iPad costs a lot more than the Android models, but seems worth it. To me, anyway.

I think the difference in that original case was that at that time the Android software was no where as near polished as Apple's and as such was an inferior product. Nowadays the diiferentiation at the software level is getting really tight and less of an issue.

There's something to be said for the better quality mterials used by Apple and such but as you start circling the bowl near the bottom of the market that makes less of a compelling reason for purchase on something in the disposable price range.

FWIW, I'm pro-Apple but still think this product was not implemented correctly.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Uglyduck, if your primary interest/need is navigation, then wait for Google's announcement on the 29th. The price for a 16GB Nexus 7 is expected to fall to $199, including a GPS chip. The price for the iPad Mini with 16GB storage and GPS is $459.

Thanks haven, I'd probably spend the extra hooch to buy the mini because I prefer the iHike app. Call me stupid for paying $250 more to use a $10 app, but I like it that much :). Still, saving some cash might be worth the compromise (in my mind) even though a new tablet is low on my list of mods.

RttH

I find it similar to my year old Blackberry Playbook. I remember Blackberry being critisized by Apple for its size, now Apple has one. :coffeedrink:

Sawyer

Adventurer
The price for the iPad Mini with 16GB storage and GPS is $459.

This was the biggest disappointment for me. It is currently $200 more than the the Nexus 7 and like you mention that number is expected to only grow larger. As for those who want an e-reader to compete with the Nexus, Nook, etc. I think the wifi only models are priced fairly for the upgrades you get. However, for those of us wanting to use these for Navigation purposes and not necessarily with a cellular plan, it may require a harder look. For me it is really going to come down to a few hard thought decisions:

1. Dependability - Is the apple brand valued enough to me for the increased cost. Right now I am really leaning towards yes. I have two different android phones. The first one died early and I have had the second one replaced twice. All of my macs have lasted longer and operated faster than any windows machine I have ever owned.

2. Cost - These are tight economic times. This is clearly a luxury item for me and many others. Can I accomplish the same for less money and get a dependable product (Item #1).

3. App Support - Clearly Apple has a larger app community. But, I have grown to love BC Navigator on the android platform. There are great nav apps on apple. But is the other larger app support really going to be more important to me over the long haul.

Apple is definitely winning my decision right now. But, cost is a very very big factor and I expect will be for many people.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's another way to look at the iPad Mini pricing.

Both Google and Amazon say they sell their tablets close to their cost. Google is expected to lower the price of the 16 GB Nexus 7 tablet to $199 next week. So for our purposes, let's assume that it costs Google $175 to have ASUS make the 16 GB Nexus 7.

Now, the iPad Mini has a few components that are different than the Nexus 7. It has a larger, but slightly lower resolution, screen. It has a custom Apple processor, and it has an aluminum chassis. Considering these differences, let's assume it costs Apple $200 to have Foxconn build the 16 GB iPad Mini.

So Apple makes ($329-$200) = $129 on each iPad Mini. If they sell a million of them, they earn $129 million.

Now let's lower the iPad Mini price from $329 to $249, the price many analysts hoped Apple would choose. In this case, Apple makes ($249-$200)= $49 on each Mini sold. With the lower price, sales will probably increase. If sales double to two million units, Apple makes $98 million.

That's $31 million less than selling 1 million units at $329. Sell twice as many, make 31% lower profit. Doesn't sound like a winning idea to take to the board of directors.

Using our assumptions above, sales for the $249 Mini would have to be 2.6 times greater than sales for the the Mini at $329 to make the same profit. Your guess is as good as mine if Mini sales would increase that much at the lower price point.

A lower price for the iPad Mini would definitely steal sales from Amazon and Google. But it would also increase the chance that Mini sales would cannibalize sales of the full size iPad. A Mini at $249 would be very attractive versus the cheapest full size model, the iPad 2, at $399. Apple probably makes a lot more on each iPad 2 sale than on the sale of a Mini. Not a good trade-off.

Finally, there's the notion that people view Apple as a premium brand, and they are willing to spend more to get it. Pricing the iPad Mini closer to the plebian tablets from Google and Amazon could diminish the idea that the iPad is a superior product.

I'm sure all this will be fodder for business school marketing classes for years to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles