Average price for 4x6 trailer lid?

Jevy

Adventurer
My lid was $500 or so
2012-10-14173105.jpg

It's a heavy sheet metal box with a 1.25" flange. The top is fully welded and was made by a sheet metal fabrication company that we use to deal with in my business. Mine was galvanized so I had to paint it after wiping it down with vinegar. I really am pleased with how mine turned out.

TheJosh

Explorer
What do you guys think about aluminum lids versus steel?

I contacted a local fab shop in the Bay Area where a friend if mine works and he said he could do a complete aluminum lid, hardware hinges and mounted for $1000- what do you guys think?

Woods

Explorer
Aluminum is better and more costly.

Depending on the lid, a grand for a raised aluminum lid is a VERY GOOD deal. For a flat but still reinforced lid (skin over frame) is still a good deal.

Pic of my aluminum lid (I would expect to pay much more than a grand for this style):

a20lid.jpg

What do you guys think about aluminum lids versus steel?

I contacted a local fab shop in the Bay Area where a friend if mine works and he said he could do a complete aluminum lid, hardware hinges and mounted for $1000- what do you guys think?

Woods

Explorer
Are you saying that you'll pay upfront and get it 9 months after the promised delivery date?

Yeah, that guys doing you a favor. Better bring a case of cold ones, when you pick it up.

Yeah it would be a raised lid like the sierra 4x4 one that would mirror the 416

TheJosh

Explorer
Are you saying that you'll pay upfront and get it 9 months after the promised delivery date?

Yeah, that guys doing you a favor. Better bring a case of cold ones, when you pick it up.

Hahaha!!

Thanks for the tips!

So aluminum would still be strong enough for a rack system and a RTT?

ManleyORV

Rugged. Reliable. Ready.
Ours is aluminum and we've tested it extensively with the rack and an RTT, no problems to date and much lighter.

-Josh

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351305694.849506.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351305694.849506.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo May 28, 11 17 55 AM.jpg
    Photo May 28, 11 17 55 AM.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

hollaback55

Explorer
Aluminum is plenty strong if you have a good fabricator or if you have the skills to make it yourself. Mine holds a globetrotter, and misc items no problem. Plus myself, my fiance, and our bull terriers no problem at night.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Yup definitely better if you've got the cash to pay for it. I'd lose all my travel money though If I bought one so steel or tarp for me!

Rubiconcruiser

Rubiconcruiser
Your lid is close to $1000. as stated, if you want a quality tarp contact Mitch at this # 909 484 6592 Hes a Toyota cruiserhead good guy and fair...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior