UV-5R Antenna recommendations

dlichterman

Explorer
Hello everyone -

This weekend I passed my HAM exam and will hopefully receive my call sign later this week. I have picked up a cheap little BaoFeng UV-5R and would like some input on antennas. I think I would like to replace the stock rubber duck antenna with something more powerful, and I would also like to mount an antenna on my tundra. I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of drilling through my roof so possibly a mag mount would work for that. The UV-5R has a SMA Female so I will need to buy an adapter or two depending on the antenna. Some people report that the Nagoya NA-701 works pretty well, and there is an SMA model.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to get it all set up soon before my Mojave Rd trip.

Thanks
-Daniel

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I have a NA-701 in BNC. It's a fine antenna, particularly for the price (typically about $15). I don't really see any performance gain over the stock rubber duckies (Yaesu in my case), although probably better able to tolerate flexing. I understood that the antennas that come with these Chinese radios are usually pretty decent.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Congrats on passing the test Daniel. I too recently bought the UV-5R after passing my exam and came here looking for a car antenna for it too :) I've had it for a few weeks now but haven't really used it other than listening to some tow truck drivers on GRMS. I haven't been able to figure out how to connect to a repeater etc. I think the unit is very capable and under-valued but the manual just plain sucks especially for a newbie.

dlichterman

Explorer
Congrats on passing the test Daniel. I too recently bought the UV-5R after passing my exam and came here looking for a car antenna for it too :) I've had it for a few weeks now but haven't really used it other than listening to some tow truck drivers on GRMS. I haven't been able to figure out how to connect to a repeater etc. I think the unit is very capable and under-valued but the manual just plain sucks especially for a newbie.

If you like I can show you how sometime during the Mohave rd trip. Did you buy the programming cable?

Nathant78

Observer
I am a fan of the Diamond srh77ca. Have it on the UV3r.
of course i have a 30 dollar antenna on a 45 dollar radio. Kinda happens sometimes
Also have the programming cable for it, another 15 dollars out of china

dlichterman

Explorer
I picked up a NA-701 which seems to be doing better, and yesterday I stopped by Ham Radio Outlet here in San Diego and got a mag mount antenna. Boy does that make a world of difference! I was able to talk on the Palomar Mtn Win System repeater all the way home up the 5 and 78. I might have to get a second antenna for my other car.......

jjohnsonphx

Observer
That's a great price for the RH951, they get $45 at ham shops for this antenna.

I was worried it would be a copy, but it came in the actual Diamond zip lock yellow packing. I'm going to order another one for my Kenwood with the opposite SMA connector. The price can't be beat.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I was worried it would be a copy, but it came in the actual Diamond zip lock yellow packing. I'm going to order another one for my Kenwood with the opposite SMA connector. The price can't be beat.
I've noticed that the recent Diamond and Comet antennas I've seen look very much like the Nagoya and Pryme, similar plastic at the base, whip coatings, etc. I think they're all made in the same factory anymore. Could also be the distribution pipe is getting counterfeits, I dunno. I test fit and sweep them with an analyzer before using just to be sure. I had one of the eBay specials (a Diamond RHF10) be resonant way outside the ham band although I was able to re-tune it.

jjohnsonphx

Observer
I've noticed that the recent Diamond and Comet antennas I've seen look very much like the Nagoya and Pryme, similar plastic at the base, whip coatings, etc. I think they're all made in the same factory anymore. Could also be the distribution pipe is getting counterfeits, I dunno. I test fit and sweep them with an analyzer before using just to be sure. I had one of the eBay specials (a Diamond RHF10) be resonant way outside the ham band although I was able to re-tune it.

I've noticed the same, these brands do seem very similar. If you buy one, I'd be interested in your test results.

I'm running a Diamond on my UV-5R and have had good results. I got I for $8.00 out of China from Deal Extreme.

http://dx.com/p/high-gain-antenna-f...33?rt=1&p=2&m=2&r=3&k=1&t=1&s=103012&u=102833

I just ordered this one thanks for the heads up. I got my wife a Baofeng UV-5R to help motivate her to get her license. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance. Programming repeaters via the key pad wasn't even too bad. Of course for $40 to my door I wasn't going to complain much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94