UV-5R Antenna recommendations

jjohnsonphx

Observer
No problem, I like to share. I ordered a few more for friends and my wife's Baofeng. I highly recommend to get a programming cable and use their software or Chirp. http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download
Get the latest daily build. This software has been working very well for me, however it doesn't work to set all the advanced features on the newer UV-5R firmware. Dan is working on it and has made many improvements. It's just a matter of time until he gets it all tweaked. I like the ability to import frequencies from a CSV.

jjohnsonphx

Observer
FYI, to anyone ordering these antennas from DX, they just shipped my order from about 3 weeks ago. So if you are in a hurry, it will take a while.

jjohnsonphx

Observer
I received my order of 8 more antennas yesterday. After testing these antennas I found the SWR was off the charts. So this is a warning to make sure, if you order these, test them to make sure they work within specs.

jjohnsonphx

Observer
Well, for 8 bucks what the heck!

Now I just need a mobile unit for the truck.....and maybe one for the car too!

Well I should have known it was too good to be true. I had a chance this week to test these antennas. Across the 440 UHF Ham band the SWR is 2.1:1. This is sort of ok. However across the 2M Ham band the SWR was 4:1 or worse. The antenna was resonant at 138MHz, which is well below the 2M band. I also tested signal reports against the stock Boufeng antenna, and in all cases I received better reports with the stock antenna. So my new opinion is this Diamond knockoff is a horrible copy.

If anyone finds a better antenna for the UV-5R please post it.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Im looking for a Car mount for UV-5RE Plus. Could someone post up a current ebay listing of one that has been tested and works. thank you

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
For a replacement HT antenna, believe it or not the MFJ-1717 is really nice. Have used them for years. I think the 1717S is for SMA. We use them for Yaesu HT's and I have one for my old Icom. They are about 15" long, flexible, rugged, and work much better than the short stubby things that come with most radios these days, especially on 2m. I like them better than the Diamonds, and I'm not usually an MFJ fan.

For vehicle use, agree that you want something 1/4 wave or better, and stuck to the car. HT antennas inside a car are lousy.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I'm assuming I need the adaptor for the magnetic Antenna ? Could I reuse my lil wii cb antenna or that isn't possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robert Bills

Explorer
I'm assuming I need the adaptor for the magnetic Antenna ? Could I reuse my lil wii cb antenna or that isn't possible.

For the MFJ-1724B 2m/440MHz magnetic mount antenna you will need the SMA-Female to SO-239 antenna adapter to mate with the Baofeng UV-5R.

A CB antenna such as a Little Wil is tuned for an entirely different frequency band and will not work.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I recently discovered this nicely made portable slim jim antenna - http://www.2wayelectronix.com/

I have a fiberglass pole that I can use to 'fly' it, but in a pinch you can use a tree or whatever.

It's part of my emergency kit - I can push a signal a decent distance with this, just have to take the time to set it up.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
For the MFJ-1724B 2m/440MHz magnetic mount antenna you will need the SMA-Female to SO-239 antenna adapter to mate with the Baofeng UV-5R.

A CB antenna such as a Little Wil is tuned for an entirely different frequency band and will not work.

Awesome thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne