I'm looking at this truck

Purzell

Adventurer
cruiser motor.jpg

Here is a photo of the motor. It's been heavily detailed by the dealership. I took it for a drive then looked under the hood. The circle on the left is where some green fluid was leaking between the rubber hose and the metal tubing.
The circle on the right is where some black (gasket goop, silicone, rubbery stuff) stuff was found to be protruding.
There is also no cover of any kind over the front of the motor (accessory belts?) but dealer says this is normal.

There is no maintenance history on this truck. It has just over 160K and is a 1994 Landcruiser.

I intend to take it to a mechanic for a "real" inspection but want to know if, in your opinions, I should run away. I don't normally shop at small dealer lots so I'm a little hinked anyhow.

No need to flame if you think I'm dumber than rocks. Just looking for an educated answer or two.

Thanks all, Liz

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Where are you (the FZJ) located?

The circle on the left is coolant, the hose clamp could need replacement or there could be some residual fluid from a recent hose change? The front circle are cam plugs and the excess FIPG is common.

Klierslc

Explorer
Agree with Kurt--no issue with those two things. That isn't bad mileage for a 94--I'd hardly let the motor be your deciding factor. I would do a bubble test though--get her nice and warm during a test drive, stop, pop the hood and pull out the overflow bottle cap *part way* so the tube is still beneath the coolant level. Have assistant rev engine at 3k for a minute or so and watch inside the coolant bottle for a steady stream of bubbles--if bubbles, bad headgasket--if no bubbles or very few intermmittently, then good head gasket for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior