Why spend so much on an ARB fridge or Engel Fridge instead of electric cooler?

Wyowanderer

Explorer
Having started with an ice cooler, then the thermoelectric Igloo, then ice again, I'd never waste my money on the Igloo again: for the money, it was a waste.
My Engel OTOH, was the best mod to the camper so far. Ice whenever I want it. works 3-4 days between charges, no melting ice or dead battery to deal with, semi permanent mounting. One might be able to come up with a reason to own a TE cooler over the ARB or Engel, but I couldn't again.

Jevy

Adventurer
OK so I've done a bunch of reading on these. It seems to me that the arb unit is 2-300 more. Curious if anyone has feedback regarding the different brands? I'm also curious how everyone mounts/uses them in their rigs?

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I bought the Engel MT-45UF-1 because I wanted it, bought it at cruiseroutfitters.com. I use an Engel slide lock http://www.engel-usa.com/index.php?...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=59&vmcchk=1&Itemid=59 to hold mine to the camper. I wish a little that I'd just used straps and footman loops instead.
OK so I've done a bunch of reading on these. It seems to me that the arb unit is 2-300 more. Curious if anyone has feedback regarding the different brands? I'm also curious how everyone mounts/uses them in their rigs?

Expedition Leader
I'm also curious how everyone mounts/uses them in their rigs?

Strapped down in the back cargo area using the carrying handles, though I have been known to just throw my 37 qt ARB unsecured in the back seat of a car for a quick road trip. :eek: I am thinking of making a plywood mounting platform to replace the passenger seat, so that I can reach snacks and drinks without stopping when on a solo trip.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter

ARB's are expensive but very well made. From what I've seen on the internet, the Edgestar and similar budget priced brands are rather hit-or-miss in quality. Some people love them, others have had nothing but problems. The only personal experience I've had is with MJMACDOWELL, a user here, who has an Edgestar in his Ranger that worked flawlessly for a long trip through Moab. When I ran out of ice he let me keep my perishibles in his Edgestar and it worked out great. It was after this trip that I realized the need for a fridge, otherwise I'd either have to carry 2 or 3 big coolers or go into town for ice every other day, which doesn't always work.

If you're concerned about cost or are a cheapskate like me, you could go with what I call the "hybrid" system: Instead of a big (45+ qt) fridge for all your needs, get a small fridge for a lot less $$ and use it for the stuff that has to stay cold, like meats or cheeses. Drinks can go in a cooler with ice.

I haven't actually tested this system out yet, but I plan to next year. My fridge is a small Dometic unit, I think it's only 18qts (which sounds small, but then again, you have to remember it does not need ice so all of the inside storage will be for food.) I only used it once and it worked fine except that because my Toyota does not have power to the 12v outlets when the ignition is off, I couldn't use it for cooling. I will be doing the 12v Constant Power mod soon and once I do that, the fridge will see a lot more use.

My Dometic was only about $315, which is less than half the cost of an ARB. I might eventually upgrade to a "full size" fridge and ditch the cooler entirely, but for now I'm going to try this system.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I've got an FJ and like Corey I have mine behind the drivers seat. I removed the seat bottoms, folded down the backs, and it sits there nicely. It's not tied down as of now. I have a Tuffy drawer that keeps it from sliding to the rear and the back of the drivers seat holds it from the front. Sideways movement is stopped by all the rest of the crap I usually have in the truck. I have two 12v sockets that are always hot installed in the back of my console that I plug into.

Jevy

Adventurer
thanks for the info everyone!!!! I'm going to spend some time researching my options on the different brands. I don't think mounting it in my vehicle is an option. I have a cj7 and two teenage boys....so I don't see how that could work out. I am also building an m416a trailer with a roof top tent. I'm going to see what options I can come up with. I wish I was the level of fabricator as many on this board are because I'm sure they could make it look like a $1000000 without even breaking a sweat. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions and if I do I'll probably just add to this thread if it is ok with you guys.

4x4junkie

Explorer

Here's my thoughts on the Edgestar...
To me it seems what's hit-or-miss on them is the plastic hardware (handles & hinges), and the DC cord supplied with it (maybe even a few more misses than hits with those items). However the actual fridge unit itself seems to be quite solid. Replacement items (metal ones, mind you) can be had cheap at any hardware or home improvement store, and the 12V cord issue isn't exactly hard to deal with if you know how to solder. For someone who doesn't mind a little tinkering, the Edgestar is an unbeatable value. Tests I've done on my own unit under controlled conditions have shown it's power efficiency is pretty much parallel with even the best of them (despite what some glitzy magazine article that's apparently out there seems to claim).

If you dig around enough, you may infact be able to uncover a few reports here & there of Edgestar unit failure (controller and/or compressor), however I've also seen the same with ARB and some of the others too. If there's any difference in customer service between Edgestar and say, ARB, I wouldn't know as I've never had to deal with CS, mine has always worked no problem (and none of my friend's 3 units have had any issues either, outside of the little items I mentioned above). I have seen where Edgestar has sent people a whole new fridge and didn't even request old one back (and in two cases the person ended up being able to fix the old one themselves, leaving them with two working units)... Seems their CS can't be too all that bad.
OTOH, I did have to deal with ARB once on a broken locker maybe 10 years ago which did not lead to satisfaction, however I can't say if that is still indicative of their CS today or not.

Anyway, that's just been my experiences and what I've seen. YMMV.

There's a few good long threads here just on the Edgstar if you search back a ways. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke